Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Goodyear Track Tires - run backwards?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 09:28 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Goodyear Track Tires - run backwards?

OK - I have been tire buying binge it seems. But as always things did not work out as planned.

I ordered 4 Goodyear 315/35-17 used tires about 17 days ago - two showed up on the 12th - two are still in Fedex he11. The two that showed are left tires - Can I run one on the right side without the world as I know it ending? Jake noticed that I had 2 lefts when he went to put them on the car tonight.

I have 2 Hoosier 315/35-17 used tires mounted (6 track days since I had them) and 2 Kumho V710 275/40-17 tires mounted with unknown days.

I also have a set of Sumitomo "wet" (street tires) on GS rims ready to go (rears new and fronts are "older").

Naturally my 2 brand new Hoosier 315/35-17 and 2 Hoosier 275/40-17 tires showed today - and I have no rims to mount them on. Use them at Rockingham I guess when I cord some more mounted tires..

I also have a set of Sumitomo "wet" (street tires) on GS rims ready to go (rears new and fronts are "older").
Old 05-17-2006, 09:45 PM
Phil Smith
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jeff,

I had the same issue with the first set of Goodyear scrubbs I ordered. Showed up at VIR with too many left feet! Consulted with the mayor of BPK and he said they work either way and he flips them for more even wear.

Its funny that you had 2 tires lost in Fedex hell. I had the same issue in December. All 4 were shipped from PA at the same time but only 2 made it to Charlotte.

See you soon.

Phil
Old 05-17-2006, 09:53 PM
freefall
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

normally fine in the dry - on some tread patterns it will cause the tire to hydroplane.
Old 05-17-2006, 10:08 PM
tcmc5
Drifting

Originally Posted by varkwso
OK - I have been tire buying binge it seems. But as always things did not work out as planned.

I ordered 4 Goodyear 315/35-17 used tires about 17 days ago - two showed up on the 12th - two are still in Fedex he11. The two that showed are left tires - Can I run one on the right side without the world as I know it ending? Jake noticed that I had 2 lefts when he went to put them on the car tonight.

I have 2 Hoosier 315/35-17 used tires mounted (6 track days since I had them) and 2 Kumho V710 275/40-17 tires mounted with unknown days.

Naturally my 2 brand new Hoosier 315/35-17 and 2 Hoosier 275/40-17 tires showed today - and I have no rims to mount them on. Use them at Rockingham I guess when I cord some more mounted tires..

Hey Vark, I've got a set of 4 315 GSCS scrubs I bot from Phoenix last Oct., which I don't intend to use. If you want 'em, I could bring them to the track and you could mount two of 'em up. I'll make you a good deal.
Old 05-18-2006, 04:59 AM
94ZR1#444
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tcmc5
Hey Vark, I've got a set of 4 315 GSCS scrubs I bot from Phoenix last Oct., which I don't intend to use. If you want 'em, I could bring them to the track and you could mount two of 'em up. I'll make you a good deal.
Hey Cass,

Remember telling me the same thing?????
Old 05-18-2006, 05:19 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Thanks for the info - I thought it would be OK to run opposite of the direction arrows.

Originally Posted by 94ZR1#444
Hey Cass,

You going to be there this weekend?

Originally Posted by TCMC5
Depends on the above
Old 05-18-2006, 06:37 AM
tcmc5
Drifting

Originally Posted by 94ZR1#444
Hey Cass,

Oops! This is embarrassing. I apologize for the confusion guys. I guess dementia's setting in. I decided yesterday not to mount them for this weekend's TT and I completely forgot our conversation of a month(?) ago, Mark. If you want them, they're yours. Sorry, Jeff, Marks has dibs, if he wants them.
Old 05-18-2006, 01:10 PM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

All GS-CS tires are lefts. I was told that this had something to do with saving money on side wall molds.

Get notified of new replies

To Goodyear Track Tires - run backwards?

Quick Reply: Goodyear Track Tires - run backwards?