Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Michelin Pilot Sport Cups on C6 stock rims

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 05:01 PM
jkonkle
Go big or don't go...
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Michelin Pilot Sport Cups on C6 stock rims

Has anyone tried to get the 265/18's and the 305/19's made by Michelin to fit on the stock C6 rims?

I was looking at this on TireRack and the price is a little salty for the 305's but the 265's aren't bad. They also make a 235/18 (stock front tire is 245) and a 265/19 (stock rear is 285). I was thinking 3/4 inch wider wouldn't be too bad so they might fit.

Optionally, there is the 265 tire which will start shipping on 5/19/06 per tire rack. They are smaller in total tread width vs stock - but they are the only competition tire I know that fit's the 19" rim. I believe the measureable tread on the ground will be somewhat equal to the stock sizes, but with better tread compound. Thusly, the minor size change will be a non-issue.

Thanks

JK
Old 05-15-2006, 05:14 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is kind of a PITA, that fact that you have to buy 18" & 19" R compound rubber for the C6 to clear the stock brakes, especially when they are nothing more than the same damn thing as the C5, but with bigger rotors.

I would bet it would be cheaper to ditch the C6 brakes and get the LG wilwoods, put them under 17" rims both front and rear. Think of how much money on rubber one will save over 3-5 years, while getting better braking to boot. I bet the difference between 17" to 19" rubber is at least $200-400 per set. After about 3 sets your breaking even.

This is one of those things that GM did just to do it. They jumped on the bigger rim, bigger rotor trend and in the end, the track day guys get screwed with something that works no better than the previous generation.

I know this doesn't answer your question, but just some food for thought.
Old 05-15-2006, 08:05 PM
jkonkle
Go big or don't go...
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 95jersey
That is kind of a PITA, that fact that you have to buy 18" & 19" R compound rubber for the C6 to clear the stock brakes, especially when they are nothing more than the same damn thing as the C5, but with bigger rotors.

I would bet it would be cheaper to ditch the C6 brakes and get the LG wilwoods, put them under 17" rims both front and rear. Think of how much money on rubber one will save over 3-5 years, while getting better braking to boot. I bet the difference between 17" to 19" rubber is at least $200-400 per set. After about 3 sets your breaking even.

This is one of those things that GM did just to do it. They jumped on the bigger rim, bigger rotor trend and in the end, the track day guys get screwed with something that works no better than the previous generation.

I know this doesn't answer your question, but just some food for thought.
Nope I get it; I'm down the rims/tires/brakes/suspension road right now.

18's all the way around 10frt/11back
r-compound tire for 18's
stop tech brake kit
coil-overs

problem with the big brakes and tires it the suspension unloads so it's an all or nothing thing I figure.

right now i'm moving to PFC01 pads and looking for some r-compounds. I may just go with the 235's and 265's to be safe. They are easily orderable as well!!

JK
Old 05-15-2006, 08:27 PM
C5inWV
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I recommend NOT going with the smaller sizes. I followed the same train of logic a couple of years ago. The MPSCups wore well, but giving up the contact patch was not made up by the tire compund. My lap times improved substantially by using 17" rims all around with 275's F & 315's R.
Old 05-16-2006, 01:36 PM
jkonkle
Go big or don't go...
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by C5inWV
I recommend NOT going with the smaller sizes. I followed the same train of logic a couple of years ago. The MPSCups wore well, but giving up the contact patch was not made up by the tire compund. My lap times improved substantially by using 17" rims all around with 275's F & 315's R.
Gotcha; well they have 265's for the front and 305's for the rear - I'm not sure if I can get a 305 to fit on a 10" rim. I'll have to call some experts; but the cost of the 305 is $500 - so I'll be rethinking tire/rim combo's for another month.

I love the track; but $2K for rims then tires which are somewhat cheaper . However, I'd have to go through 6 set's of rear tires for the rims to pay off; with tires last two events that's a year of driving before the rims even start to pay for themselves. I wouldn't see any real value in the rims until next year in June; even then it would only be $300 savings every two events based on current tire options and prices.

Getting the 305 to fit on the 10" rim isn't impossible; just need to check on it.

JK
Old 05-16-2006, 01:44 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jkonkle
Gotcha; well they have 265's for the front and 305's for the rear - I'm not sure if I can get a 305 to fit on a 10" rim. I'll have to call some experts; but the cost of the 305 is $500 - so I'll be rethinking tire/rim combo's for another month.

I love the track; but $2K for rims then tires which are somewhat cheaper . However, I'd have to go through 6 set's of rear tires for the rims to pay off; with tires last two events that's a year of driving before the rims even start to pay for themselves. I wouldn't see any real value in the rims until next year in June; even then it would only be $300 savings every two events based on current tire options and prices.

Getting the 305 to fit on the 10" rim isn't impossible; just need to check on it.

JK

Depends on what rims you buy and where you get them yeah brand new CCW's are great, but are $$$$. Will the GS rims fit in your application? They can be had pretty cheap as well as OEM Z06 rims. I recently had issues with my front GS wheels fitting under my wilwood brake package, so I now run 17" 9.5 z06 rims in the front, with 275's and 17" 11 GS rims in the rear with 315's. It's not the prettiest solution, but it works, and is cheap $$$$. I can buy a full set of 710's for this application new @ $860.00 a set
Old 05-16-2006, 01:47 PM
jkonkle
Go big or don't go...
Support Corvetteforum!

Depends on what rims you buy and where you get them yeah brand new CCW's are great, but are $$$$. Will the GS rims fit in your application? They can be had pretty cheap as well as OEM Z06 rims. I recently had issues with my front GS wheels fitting under my wilwood brake package, so I now run 17" 9.5 z06 rims in the front, with 275's and 17" 11 GS rims in the rear with 315's. It's not the prettiest solution, but it works, and is cheap $$$$. I can buy a full set of 710's for this application new @ $860.00 a set

Hate to pop off a short question, but are you in a C5 or C6? Keep in mind overall profile has to be close to stock otherwise ABS freaks out!

JK
Old 05-16-2006, 01:53 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

I am in a C5, but I have seen many people run 18" rims on a C5. The C5 came with 17" in the front and 18" in the rear. I have seen some run 17" all around and some run 18" all around. I haven't seen many, if anyone run 19". I also haven't heard many issues about ABS when moving up or down a single size. Not sure what moving from 19" to 17" in the rear could do.

The C6, I beleive is 18" F and 19" R. What about the stock Z06 sizes? 17"F and 18"R? This way you downsize only 1 step.
Old 05-17-2006, 11:34 PM
jkonkle
Go big or don't go...
Support Corvetteforum!

I am in a C5, but I have seen many people run 18" rims on a C5. The C5 came with 17" in the front and 18" in the rear. I have seen some run 17" all around and some run 18" all around. I haven't seen many, if anyone run 19". I also haven't heard many issues about ABS when moving up or down a single size. Not sure what moving from 19" to 17" in the rear could do.

The C6, I beleive is 18" F and 19" R. What about the stock Z06 sizes? 17"F and 18"R? This way you downsize only 1 step.
17's won't fit and the 18's are the wrong offset. If I do 18's all the way around my center line is wrong. I"m just going to run the pilot sport cups and see how they do. My only issue will be fender wall rubbing, but the 305 is a 30 series tire. I'll have to roll it up next to the car to see if it's an issue!

Thanks

JK
Old 05-18-2006, 09:18 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

depending on how long you track your car, sounds like some custom CCW's is the only other option. Man GM didn't make it easy on the C6
Old 05-18-2006, 02:33 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by jkonkle
17's won't fit and the 18's are the wrong offset. If I do 18's all the way around my center line is wrong. I"m just going to run the pilot sport cups and see how they do. My only issue will be fender wall rubbing, but the 305 is a 30 series tire. I'll have to roll it up next to the car to see if it's an issue!

Thanks

JK
Well if this makes you feel better I run the MPSC as a daily driver and wet weather track tire and they are great tires on the track. I was thinking of just going with them a as full time tire and skip running slicks....
Old 05-18-2006, 09:36 PM
xtream1
Drifting

Location: Stealth So Cal GOCC ...comming to invade your neighborhood soon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Michelin said that the rim size range for the 305/30/19 is from 10.5 to 11.5 inches. Just as jkonkle wants to go down a half inch extra I would also like to go up a half inch extra (I have 12.5" rears). Any opinions or is this a bad idea???

Get notified of new replies

To Michelin Pilot Sport Cups on C6 stock rims

Quick Reply: Michelin Pilot Sport Cups on C6 stock rims