Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Want 6-pt for C5 Vert..what to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2006, 03:58 PM
mdavis7
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Want 6-pt for C5 Vert..what to buy?

Forum,

I want to get a 6-pt harness for my C5 Vert. I have sport seats and I auto-x and occasionally road race. I will be buying the RD bar for the vert available from http://www.r-dracing.com/c5convertible.htm

Here is what I was planning (I will purchase enough of everything so I have everything for a passenger too)

1) 6-Pt H-Type G-Force harness: http://www.racerwholesale.com/catalo...roducts_id=339
2) BK Lap Belt Kit: http://www.corvettegarage.com/produc...-corvette.html
3) Crotch Bar: http://www.wolferacecraft.com/detail.aspx?ID=206

Do I need anything else?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 05-14-2006, 05:05 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

A Few questions Mike.

What do you plan to do with your car?? Many road race tracks and car clubs require a SCCA SOLO I roll bar to drive on the circuit.

first check with tracks and clubs you wish to run with as to what is required for a convertable to run or compeate? Do you need a Roll bar??

Harness hold you in place, which is a good thing, however, heaven forbid you roll over, being held in place may not be a good thing. The A - piller of the vert is strong enough for a roll over to a point. The the normal belts you can slide down into the foot well. With a harnenss you are held in place and . . .. well you get the point.

Now once that is all in place. The sub belts must come up BETWEEN the seat back and seat bottom. Not from in front on the seat. i.e. you sit on the sub belts. This holds you in place properly. If the sub belts come up from in front of the seat and you slide down the cam lock could break your sternum or puncture a rib.

Be safe out there.
Old 05-14-2006, 05:12 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Harness hold you in place, which is a good thing, however, heaven forbid you roll over, being held in place may not be a good thing. The A - piller of the vert is strong enough for a roll over to a point. The the normal belts you can slide down into the foot well. With a harnenss you are held in place and . . .. well you get the
I will never believe being less securely held in place is better. You're not going to "slide down into the foot well" if you are upside down. Being held securely, butt in seat, is the safest place to be in any car, at any time, upside down or rightside up. Everytime I think about this rule, the dumber it sounds.
Old 05-14-2006, 05:15 PM
mdavis7
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

A Few questions Mike.

What do you plan to do with your car?? Many road race tracks and car clubs require a SCCA SOLO I roll bar to drive on the circuit.

first check with tracks and clubs you wish to run with as to what is required for a convertable to run or compeate? Do you need a Roll bar??
I know. The club I am a member of called Performance Drivers Inc (PDI) allows verts without a rollbar to run the circuit. My intention is not to convert this car to a track car, only occasional use in BMW CCA, AUDI, etc auto-x and PDI events. I have a dedicated track car for real fun. My want is to simply stop sliding around the damned seat while driving

Harness hold you in place, which is a good thing, however, heaven forbid you roll over, being held in place may not be a good thing. The A - piller of the vert is strong enough for a roll over to a point. The the normal belts you can slide down into the foot well. With a harnenss you are held in place and . . .. well you get the point.
Yes, and I understand completely. It is a risk that I am taking.

Now once that is all in place. The sub belts must come up BETWEEN the seat back and seat bottom. Not from in front on the seat. i.e. you sit on the sub belts. This holds you in place properly. If the sub belts come up from in front of the seat and you slide down the cam lock could break your sternum or puncture a rib.

Be safe out there.
I read about this. So my understanding is I would mount the sub belts to the lap belt hardness and sit on the belts. This would prevent cracking my sternum etc but I will need to wear a cup so that the family jewels are not destory while having fun, correct?

If that is correct, I don't need the crotch strap bar as that would only be needed for a 5-pt hardness and not useful nor safe.

-- Mike
Old 05-14-2006, 05:24 PM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

aside from the issues of using a harness in a vert w/o a roll bar, skip the crotch bar because both the lap belt and sub belt connect to the BK kit. Anti-sub belts need to be mounted even or slightly behind your crotch to work, The ones you see laying over the front of the seat are a joke.
Old 05-14-2006, 05:29 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

The BK harness sub mounts hold both the lap belt and the sub-belt for a 6 point harness.

Here is my writeup of the install.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...hlight=harness
Old 05-15-2006, 02:00 AM
JimBacus
Got LAPS?
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by mdavis7
I know. The club I am a member of called Performance Drivers Inc (PDI) allows verts without a rollbar to run the circuit. My intention is not to convert this car to a track car, only occasional use in BMW CCA, AUDI, etc auto-x and PDI events. I have a dedicated track car for real fun. My want is to simply stop sliding around the damned seat while driving
Another PDI guy on the forum!

Old 05-15-2006, 08:13 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by mdavis7
I read about this. So my understanding is I would mount the sub belts to the lap belt hardness and sit on the belts. This would prevent cracking my sternum etc but I will need to wear a cup so that the family jewels are not destory while having fun, correct?

If that is correct, I don't need the crotch strap bar as that would only be needed for a 5-pt hardness and not useful nor safe.

-- Mike
You got it. All sub belts come up between the seat bottom and seat back out up though a hole in the seat bottom. Never in front of the seat bottom. Yes a Cup to protect the jewels is a must and why 2 sub belts ( six point) over a single sub belt ( 5-point) is suggested. Have fun out there.
Old 05-15-2006, 10:04 AM
Armycop
Drifting

Excellent find, Mike! I just ordered the 6pt. G-Force harnesses from Racer's! Cheaper than Summit, to which I'll be sending back the RCI harnesses I just received. Too damn big! Keep up the good webwork!

Get notified of new replies

To Want 6-pt for C5 Vert..what to buy?

Quick Reply: Want 6-pt for C5 Vert..what to buy?