Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AutoX first time

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2006, 09:30 PM
ckd
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AutoX first time

Cliff notes at bottom

Man, I took the Z to an autoX event for he 1st time ever. It was great! One of the most fun things I have ever done. Got to learn how the car handled and I even made the AH warming up message come on (never pushed it hard enough to get that before). I did notice after going around one of the full circle turns (just one complete circle) it had quite more understeer than I expected. Maybe I didn't step on it enough to kick the rear over or maybe I should have shifted to second but I'm still learning. I never left first gear and the fastest I've gone today was probably 45-47. Never left first gear. My MPG for today was 10.3! Pretty impressive lol. My best run was 42.3 compared with the best being a completely tuned mr-2 at 38.X. Not bad for my first time huh? Oh yeah, my 42.3 was with me thinking I was done thecourse and I hit a cone I could have avoided if I was thought I was still going but that was a 2 second reduction so I should have had a 40.X. The results will be posted in a few days, I'll let you guys know where I ranked. Oh yeah, they told me the base model vette is SS class (showroom stock) but the Z06 is unclassified so I pretty much raced myself all day Any one here hear of something like that before? Sorry for the long post.

Cliff notes - I ran the autoX for the 1st time. I got a 42.3 compared to the best car getting 38.X I also hit a cone on that run resulting in a 2 sec penalty. Noticed more understeer than expected. Never left first gear. Need tips and advice on autoXing. Had a Hell of a time!!
ckd is online now Edit/Delete Message
Old 05-13-2006, 10:11 PM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ckd
Need tips and advice on autoXing. Had a Hell of a time!!
Read the sticky at the top of the page.

And get out of first gear. 2nd is where it's at!

Old 05-13-2006, 11:06 PM
ckd
Racer

I've read most of the sticky and why should I leave first? Nobody got faster than 45 or so. Just curious as to why second would be better. Thanks.
Old 05-14-2006, 12:13 AM
CoolBlueC6
Racer

Originally Posted by ckd
I've read most of the sticky and why should I leave first? Nobody got faster than 45 or so. Just curious as to why second would be better. Thanks.
Our cars have plenty of power on torque and second gear provides you with a MUCH smoother throttle. Imagine driving in a strait line in first and speeding up to 45 and back down to 30, down to 10, back up to 40. The car has a very jerky motion when articulating the throttle in 1st. Second really gives you a lot more control.

We where on a 26.xxxx to 31.xxxx second course for most cars today. In other words, it was not a long or fast course and we stayed in second on every run.

Not only should you get into second, you should get there as soon as possible and stay there.
Old 05-14-2006, 01:17 AM
ckd
Racer

I'll have to try that, to me (a novice of novices) first felt smooth slowing down to 15 and back up to 45, I would have assumed 2nd would have dropped the rpms too low and bogged it down. You didn't bog at all staying in 2nd all the time. I know that the autoX isn't about power but control and is more violent and less smooth in terms of speeding up and down so maybe I was trying to stay in the powerband too long and that may have been slowing me down. Thanks for the tips.

EDIT - I tried to get a lot of rides with pros but I only got one cause the rest said they were trying to win (even though there is no trophy nor prize and little braggin rights at that. I asked at least 7 people and only 1 said yes...oh-well maybe next time.
Old 05-14-2006, 06:03 AM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by CoolBlueC6
Our cars have plenty of power on torque and second gear provides you with a MUCH smoother throttle. Imagine driving in a strait line in first and speeding up to 45 and back down to 30, down to 10, back up to 40. The car has a very jerky motion when articulating the throttle in 1st. Second really gives you a lot more control.

We where on a 26.xxxx to 31.xxxx second course for most cars today. In other words, it was not a long or fast course and we stayed in second on every run.

Not only should you get into second, you should get there as soon as possible and stay there.
I went from 1:08xx to 1.05.1xx when someone told me that
Old 05-14-2006, 11:12 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Since your car isn't classified I take it that is a C6 Z06 because the C5 Z06 is a SS car. AH warming up has nothing to do with pushing the car. When you start the car the AH system has to calibrate itself. To do this the car has to be driven in a straight line above a minimum speed for a short distance. If the steering wheel is turned back and forth during this time the AH Warming up message will show up on the DIC. The only way to stop this in autocross is to be parked about 150 ft from the starting spot and drive to that location in a straight line at about 7 mph. Once you get there do not turn the engine off.

As for second gear it is usually better than first due to the added on/off throttle smoothness you get. With low gear you usually overpower the tires once you start running hard.

Bill
Old 05-14-2006, 12:34 PM
CoolBlueC6
Racer

Originally Posted by ckd
I'll have to try that, to me (a novice of novices) first felt smooth slowing down to 15 and back up to 45, I would have assumed 2nd would have dropped the rpms too low and bogged it down. You didn't bog at all staying in 2nd all the time. I know that the autoX isn't about power but control and is more violent and less smooth in terms of speeding up and down so maybe I was trying to stay in the powerband too long and that may have been slowing me down. Thanks for the tips.

EDIT - I tried to get a lot of rides with pros but I only got one cause the rest said they were trying to win (even though there is no trophy nor prize and little braggin rights at that. I asked at least 7 people and only 1 said yes...oh-well maybe next time.
If you catch them at a test and tune or non-points event and people will likely have no problem giving you a ride.

Get notified of new replies

To AutoX first time

Quick Reply: AutoX first time