Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Something to check ... inside hubs

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2006, 08:36 PM
StArrow68
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Something to check ... inside hubs

Just upgrading to braided lines and hi temp fluid with a track/street pad and was asking questions during the install. Mark at Motor Sport Image in Roseville, CA was being helpful so we looked at a few things. I asked about the three bolts that come through from the back of the hub and have torx heads which in addition secure the wheel speed sensors. He went to show me that they were tight and the first one had about a quarter turn, the next one was so loose that it turned with just the weight of the torque wrench, did all four wheels and there was at least one loose one at each corner, two on the fronts but no play was obvious when trying to move the rotor/hub assembly. I may have some terminology wrong. The car has about 80 track days over 3 years and is 4 1/2 years old with 52k miles. FWIW
Enjoy tracking ...
Randy
Old 05-13-2006, 08:46 PM
Maineiac
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06

Torque should be 96 ft/lbs on those torx bolts....
Old 05-13-2006, 09:20 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by StArrow68
Just upgrading to braided lines and hi temp fluid with a track/street pad and was asking questions during the install. Mark at Motor Sport Image in Roseville, CA was being helpful so we looked at a few things. I asked about the three bolts that come through from the back of the hub and have torx heads which in addition secure the wheel speed sensors. He went to show me that they were tight and the first one had about a quarter turn, the next one was so loose that it turned with just the weight of the torque wrench, did all four wheels and there was at least one loose one at each corner, two on the fronts but no play was obvious when trying to move the rotor/hub assembly. I may have some terminology wrong. The car has about 80 track days over 3 years and is 4 1/2 years old with 52k miles. FWIW
Enjoy tracking ...
Randy
Those are the bolts that hold the hub assembly and the wheel on. I'm surprised you didn't feel a vibration or something. You're lucky you checked them, if they had come off, it would have been ugly.
Old 05-13-2006, 09:35 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Falcon
Those are the bolts that hold the hub assembly and the wheel on. I'm surprised you didn't feel a vibration or something. You're lucky you checked them, if they had come off, it would have been ugly.

It is all his clean living!
Old 05-13-2006, 10:39 PM
emf
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey Randy -- I've had that happen a handful of times, usually in the rear. Feels almost like the car wants to drive itself / a loose hub. Actually had one with a little bit of play from that Buttonwillow event last year, which explained why the car was acting a little darty.

Red locktite and regular checking . . . seems to be the best. Rear's a pain since the bottom ball joint needs to come out.
I end up checking 'em just about the same frequency as I do for play in the hubs.
Old 05-13-2006, 11:58 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

I also have had them work loose. I ALWAYS use loctite on them, and check the 2 on top often
Old 05-14-2006, 01:14 AM
joemoia
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the tip Randy, I'm taking the car over to Allan's AARP Garage on Tuesday and I'll have to remember to check them out.

Get notified of new replies

To Something to check ... inside hubs

Quick Reply: Something to check ... inside hubs