Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6R's @ Houston ALMS

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2006, 06:20 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Default C6R's @ Houston ALMS

Great night race!
Nice to watch it on broadcast.

No thread????
I guess they're winning too often
Old 05-14-2006, 01:01 AM
leaftye
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice race too....at least what I caught. I recorded it so I could finish watching it later.
Old 05-14-2006, 01:17 AM
joemoia
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like IMSA will give them even more weight to make the AM's competitive
Old 05-14-2006, 01:06 PM
fhturner
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hopefully they'll (IMSA) know when to say "when"-- the Vettes already had 176 lbs added in Houston, and walked away with it! And we already saw at Sebring that the Astons had more get up & go on the straights. How many "adjustments" do the Astons need on the Vettes to be competitive?
Old 05-14-2006, 04:59 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

Actually, I thought the Houston course looked horrible. It was an extremely difficult track for traffic, and it looked like even one car could barely get around that chicane.

I generally like street courses, but that one didn't do much for me.
Old 05-14-2006, 05:18 PM
C6400hp
Safety Car

Location: DFW This user does not support or recommend the product or service displayed in the ad to the right
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We did some parade laps with the Corvette Corral there and the course was incredibly narrow.
The chicane was way, way tight infact it was so tight that the car in front of me completely missed it
and he was only going maybe 40mph.
a few pics..

C6400hp with Ron Fellows

MRS. C6400hp with Johnny O

The Ollie's
Gavin and Beretta

The Car!

The Course that was dominated by Corvettes

All in all it was great time and the C6R race drivers were very friendly and accomodating.
Johnny Oconnell is really friendly and it was great to talk with him,
now if he would just bring his Corvette Camp to MSR Ft. Worth TX.
It was great to get a chance to talk to Ron Fellows as well as Oliver Gavin and Olivier Beretta.
Big thanks to the entire Corvette race team and all the hospitality they showed to us.
Congrats on the win guys....

Last edited by C6400hp; 05-15-2006 at 02:46 AM.
Old 05-15-2006, 09:46 PM
leaftye
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

About the chicane, I noticed at least one guy cut on the inside, apparently to avoid getting hit since it wasn't for position. I almost looked like they left it open just for that purpose.
Old 05-16-2006, 12:00 AM
VanSpeed
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts

I had the opportunity to go to the Houston race track on Thursday. Business took me to Houston last week and I had some time to kill on Thursday so what better to do that go walk around an ALMS/CART race. What I noticed about the track was that in several sections it was very bumpy, especially turn four, a long sweeping turn area, with high speeds, turning and several large bumps where the concert sections joined each other. The chicane was not originally part of the track, it was added Wednesday night and the teams were told Thursday morning to check out the track because a “major track modification” had been made. The chicane was very narrow. It was said they added it because they felt it was unsafe going into turn one without any run off area and the high speed into the turn one braking area. So probably the best thing they could do for a last minute fix. I did not get to watch the ALMS race but if you saw the Champ car race the drivers agreed to run the chicane single file on the first lap and begin racing after the chicane-probably a wise idea. The venue is a nice venue and it looked like a decent street course layout. Maybe if they keep racing there they will find solutions to the few issues they have in this first year. Always cool to get to see the various cars, people, and listen in on some of the issues various teams are working through during the course of a race weekend.

Brian

Get notified of new replies

To C6R's @ Houston ALMS

Quick Reply: C6R's @ Houston ALMS