Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vette no more...

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2006, 08:15 AM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Vette no more...

So today draws close on a journey that started in November 2003, when I spotted a pewter colored C5 Corvette in an ebay ad. The car was located near where I worked, and I drove by it a few times. The owner had bought himself a landrover and gotten tired of the car, so he let it sit in his condo parking area where it was neglected. He wanted a $20K buy it now price, but after the auction ended with no bids, reality set in. The car needed a wiper motor, an oil temp sensor replacement, an inspection, and four tires... I got him down to $17900 for it and considered myself lucky.

So as many of you know, over the next two years I upgraded many items like the suspension (Swapped in Z06 Swaybars and shocks), upgraded the brakes w/Speedbleeders, braded lines, DRM brake duct extension, and much better fluids, along with headers/exhaust and other typical bolt ons... I broke and replaced the rear differential last spring, then last summer the motor failed catestrophically. We put in a brand new forged bottem fortefied block w/ some ported heads w/bigger valves, TR224 cam set, LS6 intake and injectors, and other goodies... Then two months ago at VIR I broke something else in the drivetrain... It ended up being a rubber collar in the torque tube and thankfully the tube didn't get the abuse. I caught it intime.

I replaced that w/ an ACPT carbon shaft designed for the smaller units, and thanks to one of the guys here, two new rubber collars and all new bearings in the assembly. While I was at it, we installed a new pilot bushing and checked the Exedy Stage 3 clutch setup, and replaced ALL the clutch hydraulics.

Then I found the front seal leaking and just called a local shop and said "FIX it AND CHARGE ME."

I sold the car yesterday to a friend of mine for $20,000. Eric knows LS1/ Fbody stuff, since he has a 99 Fbody w/ cage and other goodies that he tracks. He wanted something nice and classy to drive to work every day, and my C5 fit the bill. Although I'll miss it, I think it's time to move on to something new. We're thinking about a race car, and once I'm moved into my new house, and have the extension on the garage completed, I'll be back in business w/ the lift. I'll just need to decide which direction to go in. I think I'll buy a motorcycle as a daily driver/alternate to the Dodge Cummins Diesel. My commute isn't normally more than 30 miles each way, and the move cuts that in half, so a motorcycle will be a fun alternative to a high end street car...For now!

I'll still be at the track though, so I'll see you hooligans around, believe that... The V8Datsun is being painted right now, and I hope to have it back under my own roof within 30-45 days to finish up the last minor details... I'll be back out there with you guys soon enough...

I'll also be poking around in here a bit... Made some good friends here, and gotten some valuable advice from more than a few... Not sure I'll buy another Vette, but you never can tell... We'll see!

Mike
Old 05-13-2006, 09:56 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Hey Mike,

Hate it came to this, but your patience wore on much longer than mine would have.

Don't be a stranger to the forum and check in from time to time and let us know what's going on.

We'll see you at a track somewhere.

Jody

Quick Reply: Vette no more...