Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vette no more...

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2006, 08:13 AM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Vette no more...

So today draws close on a journey that started in November 2003, when I spotted a pewter colored C5 Corvette in an ebay ad. The car was located near where I worked, and I drove by it a few times. The owner had bought himself a landrover and gotten tired of the car, so he let it sit in his condo parking area where it was neglected. He wanted a $20K buy it now price, but after the auction ended with no bids, reality set in. The car needed a wiper motor, an oil temp sensor replacement, an inspection, and four tires... I got him down to $17900 for it and considered myself lucky.

So as many of you know, over the next two years I upgraded many items like the suspension (Swapped in Z06 Swaybars and shocks), upgraded the brakes w/Speedbleeders, braded lines, DRM brake duct extension, and much better fluids, along with headers/exhaust and other typical bolt ons... I broke and replaced the rear differential last spring, then last summer the motor failed catestrophically. We put in a brand new forged bottem fortefied block w/ some ported heads w/bigger valves, TR224 cam set, LS6 intake and injectors, and other goodies... Then two months ago at VIR I broke something else in the drivetrain... It ended up being a rubber collar in the torque tube and thankfully the tube didn't get the abuse. I caught it intime.

I replaced that w/ an ACTP carbon shaft designed for the smaller units, and thanks to one of the guys here, two new rubber collars and all new bearings in the assembly. While I was at it, we installed a new pilot bushing and checked the Exedy Stage 3 clutch setup, and replaced ALL the clutch hydraulics.

Then I found the front seal leaking and just called a local shop and said "FIX it AND CHARGE ME."

I sold the car yesterday to a friend of mine for $20,000. Eric knows LS1/ Fbody stuff, since he has a 99 Fbody w/ cage and other goodies that he tracks. He wanted something nice and classy to drive to work every day, and my C5 fit the bill. Although I'll miss it, I think it's time to move on to something new. We're thinking about a race car, and once I'm moved into my new house, and have the extension on the garage completed, I'll be back in business w/ the lift. I'll just need to decide which direction to go in. I think I'll buy a motorcycle as a daily driver/alternate to the Dodge Cummins Diesel. My commute isn't normally more than 30 miles each way, and the move cuts that in half, so a motorcycle will be a fun alternative to a high end street car...For now!

I'll still be at the track though, so I'll see you hooligans around, believe that... The V8Datsun is being painted right now, and I hope to have it back under my own roof within 30-45 days to finish up the last minor details... I'll be back out there with you guys soon enough...

I'll also be poking around in here a bit... Made some good friends here, and gotten some valuable advice from more than a few... Not sure I'll buy another Vette, but you never can tell... We'll see!

Mike
Old 05-13-2006, 11:20 AM
fhturner
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike--

Sorry to hear you are "Vette-less" at the current time. I don't know if the race car you're thinking about will be a Vette or not, but hopefully you'll be back the seat of one before too long. Good luck with the house (and especially garage!), and thanks for sharing your story!

Fred
Old 05-13-2006, 02:12 PM
NJCRUISER
Racer

Mike, don't feel bad, to keep my racing license current, I'm gonna have to rent a Miata in Colorado this summer.
Old 05-16-2006, 06:43 PM
Bad Machine
Melting Slicks

Location: Rude, Loud and Aggressive! ECS Twisted Racing, "How fast do ya wanna go?"

Originally Posted by NJCRUISER
Mike, don't feel bad, to keep my racing license current, I'm gonna have to rent a Miata in Colorado this summer.

Evan + Miata = slow lap times!

I did'nt know the move was official! Give me a call and good luck with everything!
Old 05-16-2006, 09:47 PM
Roadrace65
Pro

I'm glad I could help you out with the TT Flex Couplings and Bearing replacment. You'll be back....Vettes are Like That.

Get notified of new replies

To Vette no more...

Quick Reply: Vette no more...