Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

differential lock-up

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 11:52 AM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 205 Likes on 161 Posts

Default differential lock-up

Do you guys ever reset the static slip in your diffs for more launch out of turns? This is for track only not street.
Old 05-12-2006, 11:52 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

My Z is new, and I haven't touched it, but I am a big time believer in a a tight diff

I know that it adds understeer, but it really depends on how you drive it. If you brake deep and trailbrake, the inside rear tire is unloaded as you turn in anyway, so you don't get a lot more understeer from it. Also it tends to help keep the car from being loose on corner entry. As you noted, it can really help you launch coming off of corners... Once a diff start to slip, they progressively slip a lot more and wear out pretty quickly. So when the diff on this car starts to get loose, I will likely tighten it as much as possible the next time around...
Old 05-13-2006, 12:16 AM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 205 Likes on 161 Posts

Yeah. I have 4000 street miles on my Z. It's diff has a static slip at 70 ftlbs. I have seen cars with almost no static slip but yet both wheels lcok up and leave 2 black marks but more on the right side when you dump the clutch. I thought you needed some static slip in the 30ftlb range minimum to get LSD action.

Get notified of new replies

To differential lock-up

Quick Reply: differential lock-up