Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loss of seat travel with hardbar....

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 11:40 PM
JamMasterJ
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06
Default Loss of seat travel with hardbar....

Is this normal..as i never heard a thing about it.. must have lost 2-3" of travel (wont go back all the way. Whats a 6 foot man to do, my buddy installed it in his car and is sorta bummed.

Last edited by JamMasterJ; 07-11-2006 at 11:57 PM.
Old 05-11-2006, 11:46 PM
01C5fan
Racer

Fwiw, I have the BK bar and it doesn't impact seat travel at all.
Old 05-11-2006, 11:54 PM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

Yeah, the loss is well documented on this forum in many posts. I'm 6' and don't have much of a problem when in "driving" position. Maybe I use a more upright seating position. Only thing I change is with the easy out feature enabled I sort of raise my back so the seat can go all the way back without putting stress on the mechanism when it reaches the most rearward position.

It is an issue with my seat bracket mounted 6 point harness bracket is installed. As I only install the lap and sub belts for track days I put them in the night before an event. I remove the harness bracket BEFORE leaving the track. Takes less than 5 minutes.

Are you driving in the "low rider" position with the seat back severly laid back. I know the hip hop gang do this to lower their profile and minimize target size when encountering drive by shooting situations.

I leave the bar and shoulder harnesses in all the time.

Rick
Old 05-12-2006, 07:46 AM
freefall
Burning Brakes

Yes, you do loose some travel. I'm a bit over 6' and don't have an issue with it though. I did disable the "easy entry" feature so the seat doesn't go back and rub on the bar each time, but when in driving position I have a good couple of inches to spare.
Old 05-12-2006, 08:06 AM
tcmc5
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by freefall
Yes, you do loose some travel. I'm a bit over 6' and don't have an issue with it though. I did disable the "easy entry" feature so the seat doesn't go back and rub on the bar each time, but when in driving position I have a good couple of inches to spare.

Same here; I'm 6'1.
Old 05-12-2006, 08:13 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by JamMasterJ
Is this normal..as i never heard a thing about it.. must have lost 2-3" of travel (wont go back all the way. Whats a 6 foot man to do?
I am 6-2 and over the few years that I have had my C5 I have moved my seat forward. NASCAR style as in up close and personal with the steering wheel and peddles.

Most ppl set way too far back in their seats. Make'n the seen with the gansta lean is not how to drive a sports car.

Sit in your seat and put your wrists over the steering wheel and 11 and 1 o'clock. ( wrists not hands) There should be a 90* bend in your elbows. If there is not this 90* bend move your seat foward. In my case I moved my seat forward 5" and I think another 1" would be better.

PPl make the mistake of incorrectly turing the steering wheel. Esxample when makeing a left handed turn, most ppl turn the steering wheel by PUSHING OVER THE TOP of the steering wheel to the left with the right hand.

The correct way is to PULL DOWN WITH THE left hand as the right hand does less then 15% of the steering.

Always pull the steering wheel down in the direction of your turn. Your arm muscles are much stronger pulling the steering wheel down vs pushing the wheel over the top.

Keep your hands at 9 and 3 or as close to that position as possible. In a C5 it is about 9:30 and 2:30 - If at all possible dont reposition your hands ( shuffle steer) during a turn.

You will have much more control and be safter when turning.

Last edited by AU N EGL; 05-12-2006 at 08:19 AM.
Old 05-12-2006, 09:19 AM
RandyVettes
Life's Short. Drive Hard.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'09

Is this normal..as i never heard a thing about it.. must have lost 2-3" of travel (wont go back all the way. Whats a 6 foot man to do?
I dumped my hardbar for a CrossBar, it sits further back and doesnt mess withthe seat.
Old 05-12-2006, 09:51 AM
jwt1603
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 198 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by RandyVettes
I dumped my hardbar for a CrossBar, it sits further back and doesnt mess withthe seat.
I agree. I have the RD cross bar in my 94 and I have a lot more clearance than my friends 94 with the Hardbar. He was pissed after weput his in. I'm 6'2" with no problems but he's about 6'4" and has issues with the seat now.
Old 05-12-2006, 03:50 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's the only reason why I opted for the B-K bar over the Hardbar.
Old 05-12-2006, 03:56 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

I agree on the R-D Racing Crossbar. There is now way your seat can hit it even all the way back. Unless you reclined it a ton.
Old 05-12-2006, 05:53 PM
Maineiac
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06

Another vote for the RD Racing bar.....
Old 05-12-2006, 06:58 PM
H82GOSLW
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts

Funny thing is, you're only 5'6"...stop wearing those 6 inch high heels when you're driving the Z06 and you will be fine It's still going to be a fun 2 days at Watkins. If it rains we're getting drunk.
Old 05-12-2006, 06:59 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Well, I'm 6'1" with a 32" inseam, and I find that I drive better sitting closer to the wheel.
Old 05-12-2006, 07:16 PM
H82GOSLW
Drifting

Here's the Weather.com forecast....looks like we may be getting drunk

Mon
May 15 Rain
64°/49° 70%
70 %

Tue
May 16 T-Showers
61°/48° 50%
Old 05-12-2006, 08:01 PM
Maineiac
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06

Originally Posted by H82GOSLW
Here's the Weather.com forecast....looks like we may be getting drunk

Mon
May 15 Rain
64°/49° 70%
70 %

Tue
May 16 T-Showers
61°/48° 50%
Old 05-12-2006, 09:51 PM
JamMasterJ
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '06

H82GoSlw... your are correct... as usual

Last edited by JamMasterJ; 07-11-2006 at 11:56 PM.
Old 05-13-2006, 01:34 AM
daveydc5
Racer

Not saying you're wrong, cause I'm a noob, but this is the complete opposite of the technique taught by the late Ayrton Senna. He said one of his secrets was to use the opposite hand (use right hand for left turn, etc) to push the wheel through the turn, the inside hand just rides along on the wheel. His reasoning was that you have much better feel with that hand and when you hit bumps, you are less likely to upset the car. When you bottom on a bump, if your strong inside hand is pulling the wheel down, natuarally your hand goes down more adding unwanted steering input. Oppositely, with Senna's technique, the hand pushing up is already resisting the force of the bump even before you hit it and the car stays more stabil as you avoid extra unwanted input. Try it, it really works. The problem is that most of us are not in the kind of shape that an F1 driver is. Senna never had power steering either. This was written in a book by Senna on driving technique. He considered this very important. He also said that proper driving position was to be able to put your wrists over the top of the wheel with your arms straight and your back completely against the seat. According to his writings, you sit too close. But for solo2, close is good according to Henry Watts, Secrets of Solo Racing.

No offense to your suggestions, but I'll take Senna's advice. Now go hit the weight room sissy...

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
PPl make the mistake of incorrectly turing the steering wheel. Esxample when makeing a left handed turn, most ppl turn the steering wheel by PUSHING OVER THE TOP of the steering wheel to the left with the right hand.

The correct way is to PULL DOWN WITH THE left hand as the right hand does less then 15% of the steering.

Always pull the steering wheel down in the direction of your turn. Your arm muscles are much stronger pulling the steering wheel down vs pushing the wheel over the top.

Last edited by daveydc5; 05-13-2006 at 09:38 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Loss of seat travel with hardbar....

Old 05-14-2006, 07:47 AM
BrianS
Pro

Originally Posted by freefall

I am 6' even and have no problems with the seat travel. As freefall has I disabled the easy entry feature to protect my stock seats. With my EVO Ls in I have quite a large space between seats and bar.
Old 05-14-2006, 01:45 PM
rudyarias
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

I ended up using the BK seat anchors with my Hardbar. The one that hardbar sells takes about an 1 1/2" travel away from the seats. The BK is attached to the seats and does not affect the travel.

Last edited by rudyarias; 05-14-2006 at 01:49 PM.
Old 05-14-2006, 02:53 PM
H82GOSLW
Drifting

Originally Posted by rudyarias
I ended up using the BK seat anchors with my Hardbar. The one that hardbar sells takes about an 1 1/2" travel away from the seats. The BK is attached to the seats and does not affect the travel.
Hey Rudy, it's Dale. How was the One Lap of America? I'm sure it was a blast. We're getting ready to head out to Watkins in about an hour. It looks like it's going to be a wet drive down and possibly a wet couple of days there. Talk to you later.

Quick Reply: Loss of seat travel with hardbar....