Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NHIS T1 National Results and a big thank you!

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 10:06 PM
sleeper02Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default NHIS T1 National Results and a big thank you!

My second National T1 race is in the books. Although i seem to have a monkey on my Z06's back in terms of reliability, I was still able to muster a 5th place finish good for 5 points towards my quest for a rookie year runoffs berth. I was running solid and close to gunning for a battle with Dan K. and Jason B. for 3rd place when my tranny literally got stuck in 4th gear. After my brake dilema at Summit Point that cost me a 5th or 6th place finish in a 14 car field this was not what i needed. I soldiered on and finished though, the car seems fine now.

The huge thanks go out to fellow forum member Tom Urban and vendor Gary Hoffman. Tom came out and spent a good part of his weekend crewing for me and discussing the quirks of NHIS, a track I have never been on. He asked for nothing in return and i cannot give enough thanks to repay him for the help. It was our first time ever meeting, yet it was like having a brother at the track. Gary took time to discuss track lines with me also and using his tips I was able to post up a respectable 1:12.45 qualification time after a total of only 19 laps on track, 13 in the morning session, 6 in the afternoon after talking to Gary. Gary was also kind enough to offer me some seat time on a local road in his C6 Z06, a truly astounding Corvette. Tom and Gary, big thanks to both of you!!

I now move on to the Memphis National on Memorial Day weekend. I hear a certain hotfoot in a white Z06 ( Ingle ) will be there, hopefully I can stay within a stones throw of him. I don't know what the field is looking like for T1 in Memphis, but no matter what I hope for some more points towards my goal!

Joe Gaudette
Old 05-12-2006, 07:05 AM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by sleeper02Z06
I now move on to the Memphis National on Memorial Day weekend. I hear a certain hotfoot in a white Z06 ( Ingle ) will be there, hopefully I can stay within a stones throw of him. I don't know what the field is looking like for T1 in Memphis, but no matter what I hope for some more points towards my goal!

Joe Gaudette
Podium! Podium! Podium!
Old 05-12-2006, 07:19 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sleeper02Z06
My second National T1 race is in the books. Although i seem to have a monkey on my Z06's back in terms of reliability, I was still able to muster a 5th place finish good for 5 points towards my quest for a rookie year runoffs berth. I was running solid and close to gunning for a battle with Dan K. and Jason B. for 3rd place when my tranny literally got stuck in 4th gear. After my brake dilema at Summit Point that cost me a 5th or 6th place finish in a 14 car field this was not what i needed. I soldiered on and finished though, the car seems fine now.

The huge thanks go out to fellow forum member Tom Urban and vendor Gary Hoffman. Tom came out and spent a good part of his weekend crewing for me and discussing the quirks of NHIS, a track I have never been on. He asked for nothing in return and i cannot give enough thanks to repay him for the help. It was our first time ever meeting, yet it was like having a brother at the track. Gary took time to discuss track lines with me also and using his tips I was able to post up a respectable 1:12.45 qualification time after a total of only 19 laps on track, 13 in the morning session, 6 in the afternoon after talking to Gary. Gary was also kind enough to offer me some seat time on a local road in his C6 Z06, a truly astounding Corvette. Tom and Gary, big thanks to both of you!!

Joe Gaudette
Joe - I am sure you (and Chris - I have seen him drive at CMP ) will do well at Memphis. Sounds like you are having a great time - in spite of the "race gremlins".
Old 05-12-2006, 08:28 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Go get um Joe
Old 05-12-2006, 08:31 AM
MattW_VA
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Way to go Joe-hang in there and get a podium for us!
Old 05-12-2006, 09:25 AM
jasonberkeley
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

T1 Qualifying:

1. Andrew Aquilante 1:09.036

2. Jason Berkeley 1:11.683

3. Peter Kulka 1:12.088

4. Joe Gaudette 1:12.430

5. Dan Kahn 1:12.790

6. Hal Kahn 1:16.005

T1 Results:

1. Andrew Aquilante 1:09.263 (new track record- old 1:11.6XX)

2. Peter Kulka 1:11.757

3. Jason Berkeley 1:11.847

4. Dan Kahn 1:11.948

5. Joe Gaudette 1:12.454

6. Hal Kahn 1:15.568

Kulka had a good start, and motored right by me in NASCAR 1 after the green. Dan Kahn and I had a great race-long fight for third, that was frequently hindered by ridiculously slow GT1 drivers. After passing Dan (for the final time, after a few passes that didn't stick, including one where I went in a bit too deep, and we swapped some paint- completely my fault) I was closing the gap to Pete, but ran out of laps. AJ just flat checked-out and kicked all of our asses. He also took 3rd in SSB in the debut outing for the Pontiac Solstace, which is a great looking race car!

I was behind the Viper a number of times throughout the weekend, and it was VERY noticable that when AJ and I would both floor our cars at the same point, exiting a corner at nearly identical speeds, with both of us in third gear, the Viper would walk away and dissapear. Especially in the up-hill portions of the track.
Old 05-12-2006, 09:37 AM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonberkeley
I was behind the Viper a number of times throughout the weekend, and it was VERY noticable that when AJ and I would both floor our cars at the same point, exiting a corner at nearly identical speeds, with both of us in third gear, the Viper would walk away and dissapear. Especially in the up-hill portions of the track.
Jason,

You just don't understand fact and figures. Everytime you get into a conversation that involves facts, you distort the entire issue...

PS...
Old 05-12-2006, 10:49 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonberkeley
Now there's a blinding flash of the obvious.
Old 05-12-2006, 12:12 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

Gary loves to help out fellow racers
Old 05-12-2006, 05:40 PM
astock165
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Joe,

It was great meeting you & Rhonda! You're certainly welcome for the help and thanks for letting me get to see things from the inside, it was very enlightening and a ton of fun.

Good luck in Memphis ... go get some!
Old 05-13-2006, 01:01 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

Joe, I am glad I could help. The only trouble is you guys did not take the rainy weather with you. Good luck going forward!

Get notified of new replies

To NHIS T1 National Results and a big thank you!

Quick Reply: NHIS T1 National Results and a big thank you!