Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accident video at HPDE

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 02:13 PM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Accident video at HPDE

Ok there are tons of threads going on about this incident, but here is the video.
From what i have gathered the evo and the audi are both friends, and the Evo spun twice that day, PDA is saying that they missed one of his spins because PDA has the 2 spins and your done for the day rule.
At the end of the video when the music comes on that is when the instructor is yelling at the driver for stopping and for not pulling out of the way.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/D...7B82294422.htm
Old 05-11-2006, 02:28 PM
Umrswimr
Team Owner

Location: Overwhelmed as one would be, placed in my position.... DFW, TX
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

WOW. That's a big F-up right there!
Old 05-11-2006, 02:41 PM
MattW_VA
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07
Default Good lord

WTF were all the cars doing there? How can anyone think that's *not* going to happen-those guys were what, 20 ft from the track and behind nothing??
Old 05-11-2006, 02:43 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

What a bad place to have 10 cars sitting anyways. Did you guys see the drivers hands coming out of a few of those corners. That is how not to do it! They all looked like a bunch of bad drivers with bad habbits.
Watch the video with the lotus those guys know how to drive!!! Good stuff!!!

Randy
Old 05-11-2006, 02:44 PM
MattW_VA
Pro

St. Jude Donor '07
Default Threadjack!

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
What a bad place to have 10 cars sitting anyways. Did you guys see the drivers hands coming out of a few of those corners. That is how not to do it! They all looked like a bunch of bad drivers with bad habbits.

Randy
Randy check your PM bro...
Old 05-11-2006, 02:55 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

All over it.

Randy
Old 05-11-2006, 02:58 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM

Randy

I was there that day. This is the east course at Pocono Raceway. Essentially it was built as a motorcycle track. It is the only place at Pocono where the staging/pit area is so close to the track. Here is a map of the entire course. It is listed as course #1. It is small, but quite fun.

http://www.pdadrivingschool.com/trac...ceway_maps.jsp

The reason why the drivers probably look bad is because it was the novice run group.

I have sat first in line at that staging area several times and never thought twice about it (until now).
Old 05-11-2006, 03:43 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

safety doesnt seem to be much of an issue for them? What should have been a harmless spin ends in disaster. No thanks...
Old 05-11-2006, 03:47 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

I have run with PDA and they seem very safe.

I am surprised that someone on a short course that is very open got away with more than 2 spins.
Old 05-11-2006, 08:23 PM
BrianS
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have run that course with PDA many times. I just could not make this last event. Never thought about how dangerous the line up area is.

BTW. In such an event who would be responsible for the repairs to the cars that where not in motion. Watching this the liability aspect occurred to me. I allways figured that on the track you would pretty much be on your own to fix whatever damage occurred to your car. But in this case two of the cars where just sitting there doing nothing. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Old 05-11-2006, 09:05 PM
Axelrod
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 48 Posts

I tellya what, I'd get my pound of flesh off of the Evo driver for sure. Ask the guys in the hot pit if the "waiver" is going to help them. They're in for a good legal battle.

All those times you hear the event coordinators say, "if you don't sign the waiver, you won't be covered by the insurance".... now's the perfect time to prove it! The point being, there is no insurance from the waiver-- the only thing you're doing is signing away ALL of your rights to recover anything.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:35 PM
sleeper02Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BrianS
I have run that course with PDA many times. I just could not make this last event. Never thought about how dangerous the line up area is.

BTW. In such an event who would be responsible for the repairs to the cars that where not in motion. Watching this the liability aspect occurred to me. I allways figured that on the track you would pretty much be on your own to fix whatever damage occurred to your car. But in this case two of the cars where just sitting there doing nothing. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
You are responsible. You signed up, you attended. Pretty much the end of the issue if you ask me. DE's are getting so popular nowadays, people that attend better be aware of the potential for anything to happen. Anything.

Joe
Old 05-11-2006, 09:55 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The two guys sitting there will not eat the damage. Next the insurance companies will get involved. The guy who hit the two sitting ducks insurance company will pay. What if it was a race car with no insurance who hit them? PDA is supposedly everyone is responsible for their own damage. Doubt it will stick this time. Then throw in a few slicks lawyers and it could get big.
Old 05-11-2006, 10:15 PM
ACAR
Melting Slicks

The driver of the car who took the video needs to be dragged out of his car and beaten. Anybody who willfully disobeys an instructor at an HPDE, needs to be banned for life.
Old 05-11-2006, 10:20 PM
CF6873
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I find it hard to believe that the guys insurance company will cover him running on the track. Do you know for sure if your insurance covers you on the track?
Old 05-11-2006, 11:06 PM
freefall
Burning Brakes

If insurance companies become involved, the organizers SHOULD be the first on the list of who to file against.
Old 05-11-2006, 11:11 PM
bsim
Advanced

..."if you don't sign the waiver, you won't be covered by the insurance".... now's the perfect time to prove it!

Uh, it's not "Fix my car insurance", it's the host club's liability insurance.

NO ONE will pay for car repair (ever) at an HPDE except the responsible party, or if h's REALLY lucky, his insurance co.

Get notified of new replies

To Accident video at HPDE

Old 05-12-2006, 12:54 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by SCCACornerWorker
I tellya what, I'd get my pound of flesh off of the Evo driver for sure. Ask the guys in the hot pit if the "waiver" is going to help them. They're in for a good legal battle.

All those times you hear the event coordinators say, "if you don't sign the waiver, you won't be covered by the insurance".... now's the perfect time to prove it! The point being, there is no insurance from the waiver-- the only thing you're doing is signing away ALL of your rights to recover anything.
That is wrong. You should read the waiver more carefully the next time you see one. As always you should understand what you are signing or refusing to sign. This is when the liability insurance comes into play and pays for the damage caused. My organization has had several insurance claims in its competition program over the years and K&K has always paid a legitimate claim. Some things are stupid like a motorcycle falling over on a car or one car running over another cars T-Tops that were laying on the ground but more serious incidents have also been covered. In your case if you had not signed the waiver and were the person who caused the accident you would not be covered by the event liability insurance and everybody you damaged would be able to sue you for the damage you caused because by failing to sign the waiver you do not have their legal promise not to sue you. Refusing to sign the waiver by marking it the way you say you do is just a good way of eventually screwing yourself.

Bill
Old 05-12-2006, 05:35 AM
BrianS
Pro

Originally Posted by John Shiels
The two guys sitting there will not eat the damage. Next the insurance companies will get involved. The guy who hit the two sitting ducks insurance company will pay. What if it was a race car with no insurance who hit them? PDA is supposedly everyone is responsible for their own damage. Doubt it will stick this time. Then throw in a few slicks lawyers and it could get big.
That was my thought exactly. But I would think that the driver's insurance would do everything possible to wiggle out of it because it happened at a track. That could leave the driver with a HUGE liability on his own shoulders.

That is wrong. You should read the waiver more carefully the next time you see one. As always you should understand what you are signing or refusing to sign. This is when the liability insurance comes into play and pays for the damage caused. My organization has had several insurance claims in its competition program over the years and K&K has always paid a legitimate claim. Some things are stupid like a motorcycle falling over on a car or one car running over another cars T-Tops that were laying on the ground but more serious incidents have also been covered. In your case if you had not signed the waiver and were the person who caused the accident you would not be covered by the event liability insurance and everybody you damaged would be able to sue you for the damage you caused because by failing to sign the waiver you do not have their legal promise not to sue you. Refusing to sign the waiver by marking it the way you say you do is just a good way of eventually screwing yourself.

Bill
But my question remains. If event waiver states that everyone is responsible for their own damage will this give the event liability insurer a way of getting out of paying again leaving the participant who caused the accident exposed? If I was involved in a crash like this I think I would be loosing sleep over it. Scary.
Old 05-12-2006, 05:40 AM
BrianS
Pro

Originally Posted by ACAR
The driver of the car who took the video needs to be dragged out of his car and beaten. Anybody who willfully disobeys an instructor at an HPDE, needs to be banned for life.

Looks like he pulled over to get a better video to post on the internet. There is NO PLACE for people who act like this at DEs. At the point where he pulled off the track there where no flags or anything. He should have proceeded until he saw a red or black flag from one of the stations.

Quick Reply: Accident video at HPDE