Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who uses their speedometer

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 11:51 AM
WNDOPDLR
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Who uses their speedometer

I am replacing/rebuilding the dash on my HPDE car, an 88 C4. The car is now designated track only. I am making a new aluminum dash so that I can relocate my gauges more to my liking and get rid of unnecessary clutter.

I am debating even installing a speedometer. I seldom, if ever, look at it while on track, driving more by SOTP , but some of my instructers have suggested that I use it to monitor progress and establish benchmarks for different sections of the track.

What is the consensus? Do many of you guys use your speedometer while on track? Am I missing something by not making better use of it? Thanks in advance for your input. The the answers will help me dicide if I install one or not.
Old 05-11-2006, 12:01 PM
Umrswimr
Team Owner

Location: Overwhelmed as one would be, placed in my position.... DFW, TX
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

I've used it a few times (very easy to do with the HUD) to make sure I'm entering the corner at "roughly" the same speed every time. I'm sure the experts can tell just by "feel". I ain't that good.
Old 05-11-2006, 12:08 PM
GB'sZo6
Instructor

Default I use my HUD

I some times look at the HUD for speed. But rarely do I have time to scan gauges.
Old 05-11-2006, 01:49 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 264 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by GB'sZo6
I some times look at the HUD for speed. But rarely do I have time to scan gauges.
Me too
If you have a manual The thing to watch is the Tach,
Old 05-11-2006, 01:55 PM
Jess03Z06
Advanced

I like something as an indicator of relative speed. Either a big tach or a speedo. Its true you don't have much time to stare but when you start trying to get that last few tenths it can give a quick reference to help you gauge gradual speed increases in turns you already feel fast in. For example, knowing engine RPM when you are at a marker just after track out when the car is straight lets you know if you were faster or slower than with a line, suspension or driving adjustment. Speed at the start finish line helped me know if taking turn 10 at summit in 3rd or 4th resulted in a higher exit velocity. I also used the speedo in a race where i had overheated the rears(badly) and needed to back down a little in in a few spots to avoid locking the rears. Since the car wasn't acting normally, i needed something to help adjust my SOTP(no lockup a little faster, lockup a little slower, and remember that that the next lap). So i think a tach or a speedo is something you can use to fine tune points on the track.
Old 05-11-2006, 02:04 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I haven't had one in years, but there are times that I wish I had one.

Knowing how fast I'm going would be useful sometimes.
Old 05-11-2006, 02:05 PM
Jeffvette
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tach should be your primary indicator and centered in the dash. The speedo can be offset a little if you want it i nthe dash.
Old 05-11-2006, 02:27 PM
SimonStern
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

I have used the speedo as an easy to remember indication of speeds through each corner. It helps with consitency in each corner for me. I only use the Heads-up Display for speed though. The digital readout is easier to read in a quick glance than a needle guage.
Old 05-11-2006, 02:34 PM
yellow01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by SimonStern
I have used the speedo as an easy to remember indication of speeds through each corner. It helps with consitency in each corner for me. I only use the Heads-up Display for speed though.
I used to do that and have since stopped.

I found (for me, no comment on anyone else) that as I got quicker, I was "targetting" a speed for each corner, which was absurd because I was getting quicker and it should have been slightly higher anyway, so it messed up my rythm and smoothness.

In the long run for me it didn't help. Feel, an RPM range and location on track have ended up serving me. I now run HUD off on the track.
Old 05-11-2006, 03:24 PM
MistressMotorsports
Pro

Received 128 Likes on 62 Posts

I like having a digital speedo in the car for reference. It helps with corner speed reference when doing setups or sometimes to indicate a problem that is hard to feel seat of pants. A tach is good for shifting, but I find it too hard to read at a glance if you just want to know how fast you are going. As an example, I had a sway bar bushing go bad. The car didn't feel particularly different (maybe it would have to a better, more in tune driver), but the lap times fell off. The speedo told me that in long sweeping corners, I was 2-3 mph off even though the car was clearly at its limit and moving around. So, I looked for suspension issues. If I didn't have the speedo, it would have been hard to tell if I was chasing chassis or powertrain.

Mike
Old 05-11-2006, 04:53 PM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

I leave the HUD on and look in the straights if no other cars are around. On the busy parts of the track, I'll catch a glimpse of the speed occasionally, but for the most part it's all SOTP
Old 05-11-2006, 06:32 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Lancer033
I leave the HUD on and look in the straights if no other cars are around. On the busy parts of the track, I'll catch a glimpse of the speed occasionally, but for the most part it's all SOTP
I mostly use SOTP as well. I seldomly use the HUD.
Old 05-11-2006, 07:21 PM
fhturner
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jeffvette
Tach should be your primary indicator and centered in the dash. The speedo can be offset a little if you want it i nthe dash.
Jeff, are you trying to get me to buy that C4 racecar again???
Old 05-11-2006, 08:03 PM
Jeffvette
Race Director

Originally Posted by fhturner
Jeff, are you trying to get me to buy that C4 racecar again???
it willl be easier in the long run.
Old 05-12-2006, 01:03 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,925 Likes on 5,331 Posts

I used the digital speedo in my 86 and I sorely missed it when I had my 97. When I got the 03 which has a HUD I was even better off. The digital speedo is much easier to read and to use as a reference when you are checking for corner exit speed which can provide an excellent feedback on how well you are getting through various corners. The tach is just a needle pointing at a bunch of hash marks that sometimes are not the easiest to see or interpret especially if it isn't close to the red line.
Bill
Old 05-12-2006, 07:11 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

I have a HUD in my 2002 and the "round eye" dash in the 1999. But I use the HUD/ speedo in both to track entry/exit speeds and sometimes even apex speeds. I miss the HUD in the 99 for its convenience for that.
I drive by the SOTP with reference to the tach (hitting the rev limiter bogs the car down ). I would put a speedo in for reference and to track consistency. A data logger could do the same thing I guess even better.

I have no problems scanning the instruments and driving the car - but the USAF spent lots of money to train me to do that. Maybe we can develop a good simulator for emergency procedures at a track event. If a "spin is confirmed and continues both feet In" is a good example of a bold face....
Old 05-12-2006, 12:18 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

I use it. To me it's another guage.
If I went into a corner last time at 80mph, then I'll try 81mph next time...

I just wish it was a little more acurate Sitting at a stoplight watching my speedometer counting down 5..4..3..2..1..0 while your ALREADY STOPPED tells you something!

Get notified of new replies

To Who uses their speedometer

Old 05-15-2006, 01:28 PM
ZR1 MK
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the stock speedo and tach. I get accustomed to a particular track with the tach. After I know the required gears and approx rpm, I improve enter speed, apex speed and exit speed with the speedo. I prefer the speedo because its digital and much easier for a quick glance. With a shift light and rev limiter, the tach is less important than it used to be.
Old 05-15-2006, 03:28 PM
Gatorac
Pro

I find as I'm getting better I use the speedo more. For example turn 13 at Sebring this weekend I started to keep track of apex speed. By slowly increasing each lap, I picked up another 4 miles an hour there.

Bishops bend is another example. SOTP can tell you that 97 is as fast as you were yesterday even though you know you were hitting 105. I know there is even more, but it will take time for me to find it. Going too fast there has some nasty repercussions.
Old 05-15-2006, 03:46 PM
fhturner
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Gatorac
I find as I'm getting better I use the speedo more.

I prefer having a speedo (esp. in the form of the HUD), so that I can judge if I'm getting through a corner better (exit speed) or just generally running faster (end-of-straightaway speed). It's not completely scientific, and I'm certainly not constantly looking at it, but it does give you some idea of whether you're faster in particular spots or not.

Fred

Quick Reply: Who uses their speedometer