Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Event in Rain

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 02:13 PM
the blur
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

Default Event in Rain

Looks like I'll be doing a HPDE in the pouring rain.
I have brand new Kumho 712's. How will these do in the rain?
Old 05-10-2006, 02:37 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Probably not bad if you decrease your speed. The worst part will be the wet interior because of NASA's windows down policy.
Old 05-10-2006, 03:54 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Watch for puddles go SLOW the first lap note deep water or where it may form. Bring towels for the mop up process. No tire is good in a deep puddle
Old 05-11-2006, 09:22 AM
H82GOSLW
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by the blur
Looks like I'll be doing a HPDE in the pouring rain.
I have brand new Kumho 712's. How will these do in the rain?
Going to Watking Glen on Monday and Tuesday? It's gonna suck if it rains as much as they're predicting. I might just hang in the paddock for the day(s).
Old 05-11-2006, 10:49 AM
gpm30236
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rain can be lots of fun, the windows down makes it wet inside. But the rain on the track magnifies your actions. BE SMOOTH and slow down, you will learn a lot and improve your car control skills.
Old 05-11-2006, 02:11 PM
MitchAlsup
Le Mans Master

Received 1,592 Likes on 784 Posts

I firmly believe that a novice can learn FASTER in the rain than [s]he can in the dry. The traction limits are so much lower that any mistake is magnified and more easily visible. And when the inevitiable mistakes happen, you are carrying so much less energy and speed that recover is both possible fairly easy.

3 weekends ago at MSR cresson the first half of the day was in the rain. The traction was so low that what used to be a 90-95 MPH corner (little bend) was very slipery at 35 MPH. I could slide the car around with abandon, with plenty of time and road to recover. Really lots of fun.

Who really cars if a little rain gets inside the car? It will dry, and you can clean it later.

A couple years ago, I was driving TWS after a big storm, and forgot that turn 14 was a 3" deep puddle. On the second lap, taking the normal dry line, I hit this puddle and put 5 gallons of dirty water inside my F355. If I would have had an instructor on board, I would have given him a complete shower!

Driving in the rain is both fun and enables learing things that require darring at higher traction levels. Go for it.

Run normal street tires in the rain, r-compounds wont get up to temperature and will be more horible than streets.

Get notified of new replies

To Event in Rain

Quick Reply: Event in Rain