Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any A6 Experience Yet?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 10:12 AM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Any A6 Experience Yet?

Anybody use the new Hoosier A6s on the vette yet? How are they holding up? Can you compare them to the 710's?
Old 05-09-2006, 02:28 PM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TedDBere
Anybody use the new Hoosier A6s on the vette yet? How are they holding up? Can you compare them to the 710's?
Can't get the @#$%^A6s for my C6Z, so cannot comment yet.

You going to Peru?

Best,
Frank
Old 05-09-2006, 03:41 PM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by gonzalezfj
Can't get the @#$%^A6s for my C6Z, so cannot comment yet.

You going to Peru?

Best,
Frank
ahhhhhhhhhhh, you got it!! Now try getting that power to the ground!

I'm missing Peru, which is why I went to to the Walnut Ridge Pro so I could get two events to qualify in case I decide to go to nationals. I have to run SM2 in an SS car though...I have DC and Devens on the schedule though. See you there. Are you going to run the C6 Z06 at all this year?
Old 05-09-2006, 07:56 PM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

ahhhhhhhhhhh, you got it!! Now try getting that power to the ground!

I'm missing Peru, which is why I went to to the Walnut Ridge Pro so I could get two events to qualify in case I decide to go to nationals. I have to run SM2 in an SS car though...I have DC and Devens on the schedule though. See you there. Are you going to run the C6 Z06 at all this year?
Naahhh. It won't be competitive in ASP, so Steve and I will run the C5 in SS and get some track time with the C6Z.

Power is awesome, but I am very impressed with the traction control. It actually allows some rear tire slippage while modulating the throttle (it does not chop the throttle like the C5).

I think I am going to LIKE this car.
Old 05-10-2006, 07:57 AM
XPC5R
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw some on a competitors Mini, which is a tire eating machine, which had over 30 runs on them, many on abrasive concrete, and they had not corded. Also it was running as fast as the 710 cars (actually faster)

The S05 compound is as fast as the 710's in our sizes, the A6 is going to be faster. I'm banking on it

I'll be at Peru (Pro) with some fresh ones if you want to watch them in action.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:55 AM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by BPC5R
I saw some on a competitors Mini,

The S05 compound is as fast as the 710's in our sizes, the A6 is going to be faster. I'm banking on it
I've seen them in action on the Mini's and Elise's but was wondering about the C5s. I get my A6s this weekend and was looking for feedback. I guess I'll watch the sidewalls, break out the temperature probe, and keep dropping pressures until the temp at the center of the tread drops below the outside edge then up it 2 lbs. I hear it's impossible to get them to roll over, and not easy to get heat into them either.

We'll see....
Old 05-10-2006, 01:02 PM
Red5
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Keep us posted. I really like the used 710s I'm running, but would prefer to run an american made tire.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:18 PM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

I've seen them in action on the Mini's and Elise's but was wondering about the C5s. I get my A6s this weekend and was looking for feedback. I guess I'll watch the sidewalls, break out the temperature probe, and keep dropping pressures until the temp at the center of the tread drops below the outside edge then up it 2 lbs. I hear it's impossible to get them to roll over, and not easy to get heat into them either.

We'll see....
Don't forget you can flip them (Hoosier says so). That means you can get double life out of them, just don't wait until they are corded to try the flip.

I am hearing pressures similar to those in the 710s. PM me if you want exact numbers. Most people will probably end up running them too high.

Frank
Old 05-10-2006, 01:18 PM
tigerdrvr
Pro

I don't think the competitiveness of the A6 is even an issue...I'm hearing from a couple of well known autocrossers (one of whom tested the tire on his ex-Z06) that they are a little quicker than the V710.

It's going to come down to wear, for me, at least for local events. I'm getting 90+ runs out of the Kumhos for about $1000...at $1200 for the Hoosiers, I'd need to see at least 75+ runs to consider running them locally. Of course, for Nationals and Pros, I might be convinced to give up a little wear
Old 05-10-2006, 07:38 PM
talon95
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You can flip the 710's also, you just end up with the grooves on the outside which might make a marginal difference, but by the time you need to flip them they'll already be slower anyway so no really no big deal.

I may try a set, but am also waiting for wear and heat cycling (how soon/much they slow down) comments as well. Judging from the wear other cars are seeing though, I'd say they'll fall in the 75-100 run range to chord (maybe closer to 75), depending on conditions (driver, surface, etc...).

Dave G.

Last edited by talon95; 05-10-2006 at 07:40 PM.
Old 05-10-2006, 11:08 PM
Norm_427
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gonzalezfj
I am hearing pressures similar to those in the 710s. PM me if you want exact numbers. Most people will probably end up running them too high.
Frank
I read a couple of things that sounded like TPs for A6s run somewhere mid-pack between the 710s and the old Hoosiers. ?

Norm

Last edited by Norm_427; 05-11-2006 at 01:21 AM.
Old 05-11-2006, 07:48 AM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

I have 710s on my C5Z that are a year and a half old with literally hundreds of autoX runs, 2 track days at Pocono, 2 track days at VIR and 2 track days at Road Atlanta. Still not corded, but haven't gripped worth a damn for quite a while. I finally bit the bullet and ordered a new set of A6s for Peru.

By the way, for those of you with C6s and C6Zs, Hoosier confirmed to me yesterday that they will be shipping 325/30-19s in both A6 and R6 compounds next week. Yaowza!!! I will have my C6Z at Pocono in June with new sneakers!!!

Frank
Old 05-11-2006, 10:08 AM
69autoXr
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 159 Posts

Got mine yesterday! Although my data will in no way help anyone else on this forum...
Old 05-11-2006, 11:25 AM
Cashmo
Instructor

I read a couple of things that sounded like TPs for A6s run somewhere mid-pack between the 710s and the old Hoosiers. ?
That's what I've found. Only 30 runs on mine so far (mostly concrete) but they look like they'll last past 75.

Jeff
Old 05-11-2006, 01:53 PM
tigerdrvr
Pro

Originally Posted by Cashmo
That's what I've found. Only 30 runs on mine so far (mostly concrete) but they look like they'll last past 75.

Jeff
How are you liking them, so far, Jeff? Any changes to your set up needed?
Old 05-11-2006, 03:14 PM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Cashmo

Jeff
Jeff, did you have them for the WR Pro? I was working the course when you were running. Very nice BTW.
Old 05-11-2006, 10:37 PM
Cashmo
Instructor

Thanks. Yes, the A6's finally arrived just before the WR Pro. I sure liked them better than the 90 run 710's we used at the Tour the previous week but then new 710's would have been better too. I'm new to V8/Vette's this year so I really don't have an old set up to compare. It's sure been fun adapting to the different driving parameters though.

Jeff

Get notified of new replies

To Any A6 Experience Yet?

Old 05-16-2006, 12:38 AM
Idavette98
Racer

My A6's from TireRack finally arrived today. Wow, are they sticky...!!!
But then this is the first "new" set of autocross tires I have ever purchased. I ran "new" but aged RS04's last year. They worked well for a novice like me - I started my first autocross last summer with my stock GY runflats!! What a joke that was.
I would be interested to hear others experience on the A6's. I will try them out this weekend at our next event.
-Bob
Old 05-31-2006, 02:07 PM
GrantR
Advanced

Any further updates on the A6's? I'm just curious as I haven't seen this thread update for two weeks.

But there's no chance I'll buy any new tires probably for another year, as it takes me forever to wear through the V710s I already have. I just this week swapped my "old" V710's off for some "new" (but still 1 year old) V710s. The set I swapped off were over 1.5 seasons old, had something like 240 runs on them, and were still competitive for setting top pax every now and then if I have a good day. The "new" ones are the new set I ran for the Devens tour last year and then took straight off, bagged, and tossed them in the basement. I'm curious to see if these fresher tires feel much faster, as the really worn V710s still felt pretty good to me.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:49 PM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by GrantR
Any further updates on the A6's? I'm just curious as I haven't seen this thread update for two weeks.
Grant, try this thread: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1403673

See you at Devens! It looks like only three of us are running Vettes this year!

Scott

Quick Reply: Any A6 Experience Yet?