Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP ASAP - Hoosier Choice???? - NOW PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 01:53 AM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

Default HELP ASAP - Hoosier Choice???? - NOW PLEASE

Need HPDE tires. LONGEVITY and COST is the only thing that matters for what's available. I'm only out having fun with 18" R compounds all around, ducts, race pads, etc. 2001 coupe driven hard at Hallett. Again, I'm poor and am wanting longevity.

Hoosier choices:

R3S04 @ $128/tire
R3S05 @ $199/tire
A3S05 @ $199/tire

Tire sizes are 285/30/18. Again, I will give up a lot of performance for longevity. Car has aggressive alignment for a street/track car. Running 1.5 camber front and 1.0 rear with max caster. If I haven't said it before, I want max heat cycles. Your thoughts ASAP please.

Rick
Old 05-09-2006, 02:01 AM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

either R should be fine. the A's are for autocross, they heat up alot faster, and will wear faster. if i recall, the 04 or 05 at the end of the part number is the year they were manufactured in. r3s04's look like a good price.

Last edited by wallyman424; 05-09-2006 at 02:19 AM.
Old 05-09-2006, 02:10 AM
NewC6Toy
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rikhek
Need HPDE tires. LONGEVITY and COST is the only thing that matters for what's available. I'm only out having fun with 18" R compounds all around, ducts, race pads, etc. 2001 coupe driven hard at Hallett. Again, I'm poor and am wanting longevity.

Hoosier choices:

R3S04 @ $128/tire
R3S05 @ $199/tire
A3S05 @ $199/tire

Tire sizes are 285/30/18. Again, I will give up a lot of performance for longevity. Car has aggressive alignment for a street/track car. Running 1.5 camber front and 1.0 rear with max caster. If I haven't said it before, I want max heat cycles. Your thoughts ASAP please.

Rick
Skip the A3S05, that is an autocross tire and won't stand up to HPDEs very well. The R3S04 is two generations old now (R6 is latest). If the R3S04s have been in a climate controlled warehouse for the last 3 years they might be a good choice, depending on what $70 a tire is worth to you.
Old 05-09-2006, 02:21 AM
rikhek
Safety Car

Not sure what you mean by $70/tire? That is not the price listed. I've been paying $75/tire for scrubs.

Maybe I'm hoping for something for "nothing"?

This price and tire is direct from Hoosier and includes shipping at the prices I listed. Your comment concerns me????? I know all about "aged" tires but once again, these are direct from Hoosier, for what it's worth.

Supply is gettinig low, I NEED TO DECIDE.
Old 05-09-2006, 02:34 AM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Not sure what you mean by $70/tire? That is not the price listed. I've been paying $75/tire for scrubs.

Maybe I'm hoping for something for "nothing"?

This price and tire is direct from Hoosier and includes shipping at the prices I listed. Your comment concerns me????? I know all about "aged" tires but once again, these are direct from Hoosier, for what it's worth.

Supply is gettinig low, I NEED TO DECIDE.
what hes sayiing is the 70 dollar difference between the ones manufactured in 05 and the ones manufactured in 04. r3s05 vs r3s04. you just need to decide if the extra year of storage is worth the premium on the new tires. if it were me, and i werent racing competitively, i'd go for the r3s04's.
Old 05-09-2006, 02:42 AM
rikhek
Safety Car

Originally Posted by wallyman424
what hes sayiing is the 70 dollar difference between the ones manufactured in 05 and the ones manufactured in 04. r3s05 vs r3s04. you just need to decide if the extra year of storage is worth the premium on the new tires. if it were me, and i werent racing competitively, i'd go for the r3s04's.
Thanks, for the clarification. I hope Hoosier is not selling "bricks". Almost ready to pull the trigger.....

Rick
Old 05-09-2006, 09:24 PM
rikhek
Safety Car

Talked to tech support at Hoosier today and he DID NOT recommend the R3S04. We discussed the wear issues related to these tires with their "square" sidewall and need for a very aggressive alignment. I do have a somewhat aggressive alignment with 1.5 front and 1.0 rear but he said that's not enough. I don't think the R3S05's at $200 are a very good deal for me.

I'm scared of the quick wear rate I've read about with these tires. I got lots of heat cycles out of Kumho ECSTA V700 and don't want new tires which will wear out quicker than the scrubs I've been running. I have a decent set of Kumho's on now and a set of RA/1 scrubs in the garage.

At their price I'm leaning towards sticking with scrubs. Just not sure what to do? Do the Hoosiers really wear out as quickly as discussed? I've gotten over 500 track miles out of the Kumho's. I've also put 500 street miles driving to the track and back.

Sounds like Hoosiers wear out in just a couple track days.

I know the Hoosiers are quicker but that is not really an issue for me....

Rick
Old 05-11-2006, 12:00 AM
rikhek
Safety Car

ttt. Thoughts on Hoosier wear rates?

Rick
Old 05-11-2006, 09:16 AM
dmwhite
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like Hoosiers wear out in just a couple track days.
i can't speak for corvettes but i run hoosiers on my M3 and they "cycle out" pretty quickly...i notice a slight drop off in grip after one race weekend but after about 20 heat cycles or so, they seem to fall off pretty bad (i use "old" hoosiers for practice/DE sessions)...there still may be some rubber left but they lose a lot of grip...

imho, if you are looking for longevity and value, i would avoid buying new hoosiers for DE's...if you can find some scrubs for cheap, go for it, but imo, its just not worth it for DE's...

and the hoosier rep was right, you need quite a bit more camber than what you have for the S04's...the S05's are supposed to be better for "camber challenged" cars...i've run both with great results but my car is far from camber challenged

good luck!
Old 05-11-2006, 11:30 AM
Cashmo
Instructor

Need HPDE tires. LONGEVITY and COST is the only thing that matters for what's available.
With that criteria I'd go for a Toyo RA-1 or Kumho MX.

Jeff

Get notified of new replies

To HELP ASAP - Hoosier Choice???? - NOW PLEASE

Quick Reply: HELP ASAP - Hoosier Choice???? - NOW PLEASE