Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A few of us represented at CMP.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 01:37 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Default A few of us represented at CMP.....

this weekend with NASA Mid-Atlantic.

Z06 Silver Bullet, DMWhite, racerwannabe and I were there. DMWhite ran in the GTS race while the rest of us ran in the Time Trials.

Saturday was fabulous. We in time trials got 3 sessions with hardly anyone else on track. Traffic was not an issue for times. The fastest guy in Time Trials was a GT3 that was faster than the word of God. He burned a couple of 1:44.XXX's.

After the first session, I put on a better set of tires. My first set of tires had 6 weekends on them and they just plain ran out of grip after 1/2 lap. I rode it out, but it was painful. I put my TT set on for the 2nd & 3rd sessions and all was good again in the land of the Big Pine.

The thunder race on Saturday afternoon was a hoot. They had a standing start with the heavy duty Detroit iron up front. It was exciting to watch them make a F1 type dash for turn 1. Those of you who are familiar with CMP know the distance isn't much from the starting line to turn 1, so you can imagine what it was like when 20 or 30 cars are crammed into that little space. There was a lot of jockeying for position going on in that couple hundred feet.

Sunday was a washout for me. I packed up at 8'ish Sunday morning and drove on back to the tastefully coordinated doublewide, with matching awnings and underpinnings, at Big Pine Key.
Old 05-08-2006, 02:23 PM
racerwannabe
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

watching sat. race may me wonder if i REALLY want to try that!!! standing start with a 3 disc clutch is gonna be interesting...
great saturday ,washed me out too on sunday..i tried to stay with the gt3,,,he was leaving me in the turns ,till he turned off track at the kink...wow what a ride he took!! next investment ,,a cool suit!!wasn't watching the legend car eat'em up fun in the stinger race..Rob can make that little cart dance...
johnny
Old 05-08-2006, 03:32 PM
dmwhite
Racer

time for some rain tires falcon

i could never get any grip on saturday, track felt like crap and got worse throughout the day (many racers shared my feelings)...thats the most i've ever had to "fight" my car in the dry on any track (falcon knows how much grip my car usually has)

i slapped on some rain tires for sunday and i finally got comfortable on the track...started at the front of the gts pack and went on to an overall gts win, much better than saturday...
Old 05-08-2006, 04:50 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by dmwhite
time for some rain tires falcon

i could never get any grip on saturday, track felt like crap and got worse throughout the day (many racers shared my feelings)...thats the most i've ever had to "fight" my car in the dry on any track (falcon knows how much grip my car usually has)

i slapped on some rain tires for sunday and i finally got comfortable on the track...started at the front of the gts pack and went on to an overall gts win, much better than saturday...
Yep, when you can't get grip, there's something seriously wrong.

Congratulations on the win! You did pretty well on Saturday, too!

Good driving!
Old 05-08-2006, 08:44 PM
Z06 Silver Bullet
Racer

That GT3 was a sick car driven by a top notch guy. They said they actually run that car with just a rear rollbar in PCA races, etc..
I can't imagine doing wheel to wheel without a solid cage around me and a window net.

Sorry about the tires again Johnny. They will be at Roebling if Have to call Jim everyday to bring them. If you want them before then they are at Jim's house so just let me know.
Old 05-09-2006, 09:44 AM
dmwhite
Racer

Originally Posted by Z06 Silver Bullet
They said they actually run that car with just a rear rollbar in PCA races, etc..
I can't imagine doing wheel to wheel without a solid cage around me and a window net.
yeah, PCA stock classes are allowed to run with rollbars...thats just nuts...
Old 05-09-2006, 10:46 AM
racerwannabe
Pro

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Z06 Silver Bullet
That GT3 was a sick car driven by a top notch guy. They said they actually run that car with just a rear rollbar in PCA races, etc..

Sorry about the tires again Johnny. They will be at Roebling if Have to call Jim everyday to bring them. If you want them before then they are at Jim's house so just let me know.
i'll make some arrangements to pick them up before savannah,,haven't decided if we're going yet..
Old 05-10-2006, 08:34 AM
Z06 Silver Bullet
Racer

Let me know if you run in to to problems getting Jim or Julie.
They are usually around though.
Old 05-11-2006, 10:04 AM
Cisitalia
Racer

Originally Posted by Falcon
this weekend with NASA Mid-Atlantic.

Z06 Silver Bullet, DMWhite, racerwannabe and I were there. DMWhite ran in the GTS race while the rest of us ran in the Time Trials.
Hey Mr. Mayor don't forget some of us poor HPDE slugs were there. Don't forget that we subsidize you TT'ers and racers. Or at least our students do. I just love the small TT class. That gives us instructors time to torment our buds on the track (mess with their times) and some extra track time. You got to love it.

Sunday was a literal wash. Rained all day. I went out in every HPDE 3/4 and TT track session in the rain. One TT session no one showed up. So I and wild Bill as copilot went out and had the whole track to ourself. It was a hard down pour with rivers and puddles like I have never seen at CMP. It was great fun and the little Porch car on street tires is a very formidable rain car. Wild Bill loved driving it in the rain and went out in the other run groups. Not many people went out in the rain. The down side, I had to get the wet-vac out to dry out the carpets when I got back home.

OBTW, the Goodyear GS-D3 are a most excellent rain tire. I was very impressed with them. They would make as an inexpensive wet race tire in my opinion.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:25 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cisitalia
....... It was a hard down pour with rivers and puddles like I have never seen at CMP. It was great fun and the little Porch car on street tires is a very formidable rain car. Wild Bill loved driving it in the rain and went out in the other run groups. Not many people went out in the rain. The down side, I had to get the wet-vac out to dry out the carpets when I got back home.

OBTW, the Goodyear GS-D3 are a most excellent rain tire. I was very impressed with them. They would make as an inexpensive wet race tire in my opinion.

Sounds like you guys had a good time!

I have seen CMP with rivers on the track - It was on one of those days I hydroplaned the 944S at turn 3 .... But you do have it to yourself...
Old 05-11-2006, 09:55 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Cisitalia
Hey Mr. Mayor don't forget some of us poor HPDE slugs were there. Don't forget that we subsidize you TT'ers and racers. Or at least our students do. I just love the small TT class. That gives us instructors time to torment our buds on the track (mess with their times) and some extra track time. You got to love it.
Sorry, Brad! I had my head up my azz when I first typed that. Yea, you and Wild Bill were there teaching others how to do this just as you did me. BTW, you made me work my azz off trying to catch you in the 1st session.

As you saw, I packed up The Big Pine Key Traveling Salvation Show and got the heck outta Dodge just as the rain started. You guys that stayed had bigger 'nads than me.
Old 05-11-2006, 11:30 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

..... You guys that stayed had bigger 'nads than me.
geez, my wife never lets me even bring mine...
Old 05-13-2006, 10:08 PM
Cisitalia
Racer

Yea, you and Wild Bill were there teaching others how to do this just as you did me. BTW, you made me work my azz off trying to catch you in the 1st session.
Yea Jody, you are an extra special ex-student for sure. Now you can teach us.

OBTW, you were working hard catching me with one eye closed, one hand behind your back and square tires. Thanks for trying to make me feel good.

Oh Mayor, I fetched my new trailer today from Greenville, SC. Oh is she sweet. Pure art for sure and track ho for play.

Get notified of new replies

To A few of us represented at CMP.....

Quick Reply: A few of us represented at CMP.....