Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 Batteries and SCCA

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 02:55 AM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Default C5 Batteries and SCCA

I'm looking at a school event up at T-hill and it says I need my battery to be held down with at least two bolts. The C5 only has the one hold-down in front. Any advice on what route I should take with this? (Or is the stock setup considered fine?)

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-08-2006, 09:22 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've raced mine in the stock configuration since 2000 and never had an issues...SCCA officials or otherwise.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:55 AM
StArrow68
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've run mine in stock for 3 years and run the Street School that way a couple times. However, after having my original battery replaced some one showed me that the single bolt allowed the battery to slide side to side and took more than a few turns to get it tight.
I've seen several that have up a piece of bar stock across the top and used very long bolts to add extra security, not sure what they were hooking to below.

Maybe more important from what I've seen on track, cover the terminals. I put a double layer of duct tape over both. Saw a Honda once that pushed his wheel strut tower back into the battery and created an arc started fire that several extinguishers failed to put out and totaled the car.
Old 05-08-2006, 12:43 PM
emf
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I actually talked to an SCCA tech about that this last weekend @ regionals -- stock location, OK but as Randy says above, gotta tape up the terminals. Relocated, they want the thing securely held down w/ two bolts.

YMMV, but most techs that I've run across have been content w/ the factory location, provided any exposed terminals are covered (which, includes any exposed part of the bolt for the side-mount terminals)
Old 05-08-2006, 04:25 PM
RichieRichZ06
Supporting Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Supporting the Corvette Community at Abel Chevrolet in Rio Vista, CA 707-374-6317 Ext.123
Received 1,425 Likes on 597 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by wtknght1
I've raced mine in the stock configuration since 2000 and never had an issues...SCCA officials or otherwise.
Even NASA who seem to be more **** than SCCA have been cool.
Old 05-08-2006, 04:50 PM
Slalom4me
Le Mans Master

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Delco and GM have a solution for terminal covers that is nicer looking
than wraps of electrical tape.

From a recent thread Terminal Post Covers - Delco Side Post Battery

Before ordering the cable portion, check the existing cables. The
ones on my '89 already have a molded section that the cap snaps
onto.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Batteries and SCCA