Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Raced first autocross today!

Old 05-07-2006, 05:53 PM
servohead
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Raced first autocross today!

I've always said the C5 is a track car, and shrugged at autocrossing because of the nature but today was really fun. My friends encouraged me to race anyway, so I did. I wasn't the fastest because I wasn't driving my hardest but I beat most of the civics, WRX's, STi's, came close to a miata with slicks on it!, and the fastest car of the day was a newer porshe 911 which was driven by one of the nations chamipons in autocross!!

Those smaller cars just dominate though in autocross, and I still say C5's and other vettes of course just belong on a real racetrack - just the nature of the corvette! I layed the smack down though, and protected the corvette rep., came in at least the top 20% of the day! Also out of 80 cars or so I was the ONLY corvette!!!
Old 05-07-2006, 06:09 PM
apexman
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on your first autocross, glad you had fun. It is kinda hard not to have fun in a Vette. I enjoy tracks much more but autocross is still alot of fun when the event runs smoothly.

Derek
Old 05-07-2006, 08:01 PM
C6400hp
Safety Car

Location: DFW This user does not support or recommend the product or service displayed in the ad to the right
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Huh? The Corvette is a great autocrosser!

Last edited by C6400hp; 05-08-2006 at 07:02 PM.
Old 05-07-2006, 09:03 PM
TRACKMAN2
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by servohead
I've always said the C5 is a track car, and shrugged at autocrossing because of the nature but today was really fun. My friends encouraged me to race anyway, so I did. I wasn't the fastest because I wasn't driving my hardest but I beat most of the civics, WRX's, STi's, came close to a miata with slicks on it!, and the fastest car of the day was a newer porshe 911 which was driven by one of the nations chamipons in autocross!!

Those smaller cars just dominate though in autocross, and I still say C5's and other vettes of course just belong on a real racetrack - just the nature of the corvette! I layed the smack down though, and protected the corvette rep., came in at least the top 20% of the day! Also out of 80 cars or so I was the ONLY corvette!!!
I WENT TO THE LOCAL AUTOCROSS TODAY AS WELL. I JUST WACHED IM SURE THERE IS SOMTHING TO LEARN THAT MIGHT BE OF USE ON THE TRACK BUT TRY AS I MIGHT I JUST CANT SEE SITTING AROUND ALL DAY FOR 5 50 SEC RUNS.. mabee my car would last longer though..BESIDES FINDING YOUR WAY AROUND THE TRACK IS EASY FINDING YOUR WAY THROUGH ALL THOSE CONES I THINK WOULD BE A REAL CHALLENGE....
Old 05-07-2006, 11:09 PM
Norm_427
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Congrats on your 1st autox! You've done something most sportscar enthusiasts want to do -- but never get up the nerve to actually do it! There's a real learning curve to the sport. You think at first that you just can't go any faster, that you're at the limit of your abilities and your car. Not so. There is much to learn and it's something you just can't comprehend until you're in the sport for a at least a couple of seasons.

I bet you'll come close to setting FTD in a couple of seasons!

Norm

Last edited by Norm_427; 05-07-2006 at 11:16 PM.
Old 05-08-2006, 09:14 AM
astock165
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've always said the C5 is a track car, and shrugged at autocrossing because of the nature but today was really fun. My friends encouraged me to race anyway, so I did.
Which club did you run with and where? I'm in NH as well and run a lot of different autocrosses in the area. If you're interested in doing more let me know, maybe we can hook up some time. That is as long as you don't mind being seen with a lowly C4.
Old 05-08-2006, 05:26 PM
servohead
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Here's a pic for you guys to see! Not a very action packed picture, but we tried. Thanks for the encouragement!!

Old 05-08-2006, 09:13 PM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Those smaller cars just dominate though in autocross, and I still say C5's and other vettes of course just belong on a real racetrack - just the nature of the corvette! of the day! !

Not totally true. In my region (SoCal.) the Corvettes take top time of the day most of the time. If they don't, either Tom Berry's Camaro does or one raced out Miata. It really doesn't matter if you have a small car or large. Most autocross tracks even everything out. It's up to us Corvette drivers to show them the way.

Steve
Old 05-08-2006, 09:41 PM
7Bob3
Burning Brakes

Here's a pic for you guys to see! Not a very action packed picture, but we tried. Thanks for the encouragement!!

Could just be the angle of the photo, but from a Safety Stewards inquiring mind, was this a SCCA event?
Old 05-08-2006, 10:30 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

congrats and just be careful, it can be very addicting!
Old 05-09-2006, 12:46 AM
tigerdrvr
Pro

Originally Posted by Bob Blackmon
Could just be the angle of the photo, but from a Safety Stewards inquiring mind, was this a SCCA event?
I was thinking the same thing. Looks like a very small lot and not much space from the course to the spectators.

To the original poster: You might want to try a larger venue, like a SCCA tour event or divisional, before making too many assumptions of what autocross is or isn't...and you're likely to have lots more fun!
Old 05-09-2006, 01:11 PM
CrossedFlags77
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I raced an autocross this weekend too. The fastest car out there was a C3 Corvette in BSP. He ran a 57 something which is an average of 7-10 seconds faster than alot of the other cars out there. I ran a 61.8 on street tires so I was pretty happy with how that turned out. You will become addicted to it if you aren't already.
Old 05-09-2006, 02:36 PM
Norm_427
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mountainbiker2
Not totally true. In my region (SoCal.) the Corvettes take top time of the day most of the time. If they don't, either Tom Berry's Camaro does or one raced out Miata. It really doesn't matter if you have a small car or large. Most autocross tracks even everything out. It's up to us Corvette drivers to show them the way.

Steve
SoCal is probably the most competitive environment for autox in the U.S. and Corvettes do extremely well.

Smaller venues like my city don't have national champions or SCCA involvement and Corvettes never seem to show up to participate, or if they do they're not driven by an experienced driver. Consequently, many of those club members buy-in to the sterotype that the Corvette is not intended for an autox course. Last Sunday I went to the local autox in my C6 Z-51 with new Hoosier A6s and set 2nd fastest FTD (behind a FSAE mod car) and set top PAX for the day out of 135 entrants. Again, we're sort of isolated and most members don't get to see top SCCA autox drivers (usually found in large metro areas) strut their stuff.

Corvettes are an awesome, all around car whether on a tight autox course or an open track.

Last edited by Norm_427; 05-09-2006 at 03:00 PM.
Old 05-09-2006, 02:59 PM
steponc
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Default Auto-X

There is auto crossing in Atwater, CA that is wider than most and set up for muscle cars. There are all types of cars there but the faster times are usually Corvettes, Camaros or Mustangs and prepared imports. The percentage of imports is much lower than the SCCA events I have been to. There was even an original Cobra there, but he had a mechanical failure the last Sunday I was there. Large billowing black smoke from the left bank.
The events are two day events running CCW on Sat. and CW on Sun.
I just started this season, still on street tires, but not for long. I am learning alot about the cars capabilities and my driving ability. There are several top drivers that attend regularly and they are approachable for comments and suggestions.
I have been to several HPDEs which I enjoy very much, but the A-X is not as expensive and there are many more opportunities to auto-X that fit into my schedule since summer is more hectic workwise for me.
Old 05-09-2006, 04:24 PM
tigerdrvr
Pro

Originally Posted by steponc
There is auto crossing in Atwater, CA that is wider than most and set up for muscle cars. There are all types of cars there but the faster times are usually Corvettes, Camaros or Mustangs and prepared imports. The percentage of imports is much lower than the SCCA events I have been to. There was even an original Cobra there, but he had a mechanical failure the last Sunday I was there. Large billowing black smoke from the left bank.
The events are two day events running CCW on Sat. and CW on Sun.
I just started this season, still on street tires, but not for long. I am learning alot about the cars capabilities and my driving ability. There are several top drivers that attend regularly and they are approachable for comments and suggestions.
I have been to several HPDEs which I enjoy very much, but the A-X is not as expensive and there are many more opportunities to auto-X that fit into my schedule since summer is more hectic workwise for me.
That would be American Autocross Series http://www.americanauto-x.com

Great events. Its not uncommon to be pretty deep into 3rd gear on some of the courses. I've run the whole series so far this year in the #7 SS Z06.

BTW, the original Cobra that grenaded the motor? That was about a $50k experience, for the owner

Get notified of new replies

To Raced first autocross today!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Raced first autocross today!