Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmets

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2006, 05:39 PM
Gatorac
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Helmets

I'm looking to replace my current helmet. It is a G-force helmet. I bought a few years ago and the main reason I chose it was price. The visor attachment didn't last long and I've noticed some cracks in it.

I'm looking for some opinions on helmets you own. Are you happy with the quality and longevity of it? The one I'm leaning toward now is the Simpson Diamond back. Mainly because it is the only one I've had an opportunity to try on and know what size fits. It also has some aero designed into it which will be helpful considering the direction my choice of cars is heading (SRF).

Does anyone know of a place in the Tampa Bay area that sells helmets and driving suits? I sure would like to try some on and see them in person before buying.
Old 05-07-2006, 06:43 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just replaced my Simpson with a new Simpson I was happy with the first one.
Old 05-07-2006, 07:17 PM
Rogue Leader
Racer

St. Jude Donor '08

I run open wheel cars and I use a Bieffe Helmet. Its Carbon Kevlar on the outside so its much lighter than the average helmet and its extremely comfortable. You can also get additional visors and tearoffs for it. Similar Bieffe models (mine is a couple years old) are available in the $350 range and I would highly reccomend it. Its your squash
Old 05-07-2006, 11:58 PM
TicketBait
Melting Slicks

Default Simpson Super Bandit

Have not had it that long but very happy with the fit. Easy to put my glasses on and can have the shield up or down. It came with a clear shield but this shield is excellent with my sunglasses or clear frames on . Not too dark I also got a helmet support too.

Good luck in your choice
Old 05-08-2006, 12:41 PM
MitchAlsup
Le Mans Master

Received 1,592 Likes on 784 Posts

I run an OMP helmet--my head simply fits Bieffe and OMP helmets and none of the others. (a shame really, but it is so difficult to get the head reshaped...)

The most important thing is that your head fit snuggly, but not so snuggly that wearing it causes headaches. Until you have worn several models from a given manufacture, and are prefectly aware of you size/shape; you should not be ordering helmets through the mail.
Old 05-08-2006, 06:33 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

I just went to the store today to buy a helmet. The local guy sells both Simpson's and Impacts (Bill Simpson's new company). The Impacts are a little less and sell well with the Dirt Circle Track racers because of the quality and price. The SA95 Simpson I bought from him is a 7 1/4 but he said the manufacturers are converting over to S, M, L, XL, etc. I tried an Impact L on and it felt good around the top of my head but pushed my cheeks in far enough I couldn't comfortably close my mouth without biting my cheeks. He ordered in one of each brand in XL so I could try them on. If you can't try them on you are taking a risk that you will get one that doesn't fit properly.

Bill
Old 05-09-2006, 09:17 AM
TicketBait
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I just went to the store today to buy a helmet. The local guy sells both Simpson's and Impacts (Bill Simpson's new company). The Impacts are a little less and sell well with the Dirt Circle Track racers because of the quality and price. The SA95 Simpson I bought from him is a 7 1/4 but he said the manufacturers are converting over to S, M, L, XL, etc. I tried an Impact L on and it felt good around the top of my head but pushed my cheeks in far enough I couldn't comfortably close my mouth without biting my cheeks. He ordered in one of each brand in XL so I could try them on. If you can't try them on you are taking a risk that you will get one that doesn't fit properly.

Bill
I can't chew gum (probably a good thing) with it on .
This is what mine does .Anyting I can do to it? I thought that was normal the next i/8th inch increase was too loose every where
Old 05-09-2006, 11:35 AM
emf
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TicketBait
I can't chew gum (probably a good thing) with it on .
Holy CRAP! Not just a good thing, but something you NEVER want to do on the track. The LAST thing you need, is for that piece of gum to get lodged in your thoat in an off or an incident.

pinching your entire face is a bit tight, but you do want a helmet to be snug. I haven't found a helmet that hasn't slightly pinched my cheeks, but at the same point none have compressed everything in to the point where I'd bite the inside of my cheeks (also a bad thing in an incident). IMO, take the helmet to Simpson, and see if they can remove some of the foam from that part of the helmet. They'll be the best ones to know if it's safe or not, and equally the best to take care of the nomex. If they don't have someone on-site who can take care of it, then they'll know who can . . . I've been to the Torrance store a bunch of times, and they've been top notch every time.
Old 05-09-2006, 12:13 PM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by TicketBait
Have not had it that long but very happy with the fit. Easy to put my glasses on and can have the shield up or down. It came with a clear shield but this shield is excellent with my sunglasses or clear frames on . Not too dark I also got a helmet support too.

Good luck in your choice
got the SA00 version of that helmet. Will get another Simpson when it's time. Before this one, I had a G-Force and the Simpson is much higher quality.
Old 05-09-2006, 01:45 PM
forhamilton
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same dilemma. Bought an Impact SS silver. Love it.
Old 05-09-2006, 01:48 PM
HalM
Racer

We (wifey drives too) ran Bell M3s for years. Warning...the interiors aren't that sturdy on the Bell stuff...I'm running a Bell M2 Sport with forced air now and she went with an Arai (2005) which seems like a much better built Helmet...good luck
Old 05-09-2006, 02:08 PM
FasterIsBetter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Whatever you buy, be sure that it's Snell 2005 if you plan on using it past 2010. There are still some Snell SA2000 helmets floating around at discount prices, but after 2010 you won't be able to use them for most sanctioning body events.
Old 05-10-2006, 12:53 AM
TicketBait
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by emf
Holy CRAP! Not just a good thing, but something you NEVER want to do on the track. The LAST thing you need, is for that piece of gum to get lodged in your thoat in an off or an incident.

pinching your entire face is a bit tight, but you do want a helmet to be snug. I haven't found a helmet that hasn't slightly pinched my cheeks, but at the same point none have compressed everything in to the point where I'd bite the inside of my cheeks (also a bad thing in an incident). IMO, take the helmet to Simpson, and see if they can remove some of the foam from that part of the helmet. ] They'll be the best ones to know if it's safe or not, and equally the best to take care of the nomex. If they don't have someone on-site who can take care of it, then they'll know who can . . . I've been to the Torrance store a bunch of times, and they've been top notch every time.
Thanks! I'll call them tomorrow and see what they suggest. They are Only 20 miles from my house I will report back what they say

Get notified of new replies

To Helmets

Quick Reply: Helmets