Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thill Field Report-May 5th

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2006, 12:52 PM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Thill Field Report-May 5th

It was a pretty strong Vette turnout. However, other than Randy, were not a very communicative bunch. Next time out, the forum members that participate should make it a point to get together and chat it up. Other than that the track was really fast in the morning, the temperatures were ideal for my tires and I turned a 2:08.5 on my only clear lap. I was in the point by group and the only way I could get a point by was by HONKING my horn; a hand or finger generally came out the window and I was on my way. My LT1 is basically a momentum type car and once I get screwed on a lap by traffic even a little bit, I am 3 seconds slower that lap. The afternoon time trial was hotter and I didn't get a clear lap until my 6th one(the tires are at their best on the second lap), the tires were not as good and the car understeered, only a 2:09.3. After that, a 911 went off directly in front of me at the exit of turn 2, I came through at full tilt and when I backed off the car went wide and I joined him mowing through the grass. My DRM brake cooling air dam did a better job cutting the grass than my 3.5 hp Craftsman at home. Unfortunately, the transponder, which was attached to the air dam got detached in the incident, its whereabouts still unknown. All in all, had a great time as usual.
Old 05-07-2006, 02:49 AM
ImaRoadDog
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was there too. Were you in the white C4? If that was you, I was the next car behind you in the time trial in the silver C5. Best I could do was a 2:10. It was a great day and a lot of fun. Hope to see you out there again and I'll say hi.
Old 05-07-2006, 04:32 PM
StArrow68
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Things did start out good here too, but on the third session I found out why after learning to pick up some speed the stock brakes aren't up to the job. Seems that I had a right front pad just disintegrate since the left is still at 50% and the the right is on the backing plate. Did a nasty job on the rotor so that was the end of my day. I did make it 130 miles home without ever touching the brakes, just a few heel/toe's into lower gears as required on off ramps and into get gas. Time for a brake upgrade.
Randy

Get notified of new replies

To Thill Field Report-May 5th

Quick Reply: Thill Field Report-May 5th