Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brakes Brakes brakes.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2006, 02:44 AM
C6400hp
Safety Car

Location: DFW This user does not support or recommend the product or service displayed in the ad to the right
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Brakes Brakes brakes.

I am outrunning the performance of the stock C6 brakes when running on R's. I already have brake cooling So the question is what brake kit.
Brembo seem too expensive @ $3000 for a front set. Floating rotors,thats good. 4 piston?
Stop tech same as the Brembo @ $3000 front set
Wilwood SL6 , are they up to handling the racing environment? They
are priced right at $ 1200-1300 for front set
Red Devil Brakes offers Calipers for C6 and C5 has anyone tried these they are price well at $2000 for front 6 piston calipers, are they up to the task? Usable on the street?
AP?
Alcon?
Are there any others readily available up to the weekend racing/HPDE environment as well as being usable on the street and at or under $2K for a good set of front calipers/rotors?
Any thoughts appreciated......
Old 05-06-2006, 06:49 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Many guys put on race pads as Wilwood H, Carbotech xp10 or xp11s or Hawk Dt70s, Castrol SRF brake fluid ( the New WIlwood 600 is an option ) and out run and underbrake must BBKS with the stock corvette caliper. The Corvette caliper is better then most ppl give credit for. BBKs may not stop you sooner, but the equipment will last much longer and that is their primary design.

Hard Bars 2 piece rotor may be an option too

Originally Posted by C6400hp
I am outrunning the performance of the stock C6 brakes when running on R's. I already have brake cooling So the question is what brake kit.
Brembo seem too expensive @ $3000 for a front set. Floating rotors,thats good. 4 piston?
Personally I think the PBR corvette caliper as I mention above is better then the big red.
Stop tech same as the Brembo @ $3000 front set
StopTechs are great brakes but you can not do just the fronts,. If you uput a 6 pot up front then you need a 4 pot in back and biffer MC
Wilwood SL6 , are they up to handling the racing environment? They
are priced right at $ 1200-1300 for front set
Darn straight, great brakes. Just because onr brake is thousands more does not mean it is far better.
Red Devil Brakes offers Calipers for C6 and C5 has anyone tried these they are price well at $2000 for front 6 piston calipers, are they up to the task? Usable on the street?
These brakes are almost a joke. We had a long discussion with the manufacture 6 months ago. He finally addmited these brakes are not for 3000 lbs cars but more the tunner show crowd. There were a few guys who tride these brakes and they did not stop well and the brake fade was too fast and deffinitly not for racing / track. Only show brakes

AP?
Alcon?
May be the best two racing brakes made. again 6 large a set.

the other option is to change your braking style, brake a little sooner and use more momenteum though corners. Slow in = fast out

Good Luck
Old 05-06-2006, 06:59 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Stoptechs can use the stock master as the piston is the same volume. You need not do front and rear. I have used the Wilwoods hard where the rotors glow red in daylight pictures. I just put Wilwoods on the rear also. LGM has both types. For the price the Wilwoods are great pads are cheap with a great selection for many manufactures.
Old 05-06-2006, 10:02 AM
TooManyIDs
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wilwood SL-6R & SL-4R with zinc-plated (for the waxer in me) two-piece rotors here. See sig for details.

I don't think MSR is as hard on brakes as some of the tracks I read about here. So, no need to spend more money (as if I didn't spend enough already) for even thicker calipers (which require longer wheel studs - bigger stock wheel spacers) & pads or thermo-lock pistons.

You may want to consider what kind of speeds you see at tracks you regularly run and I assume you aren't leaving the Corsairs on full time.
Old 05-06-2006, 01:05 PM
C6400hp
Safety Car

Location: DFW This user does not support or recommend the product or service displayed in the ad to the right
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TooManyIDs
Wilwood SL-6R & SL-4R with zinc-plated (for the waxer in me) two-piece rotors here. See sig for details.

I don't think MSR is as hard on brakes as some of the tracks I read about here. So, no need to spend more money (as if I didn't spend enough already) for even thicker calipers (which require longer wheel studs - bigger stock wheel spacers) & pads or thermo-lock pistons.

You may want to consider what kind of speeds you see at tracks you regularly run and I assume you aren't leaving the Corsairs on full time.
MSR is easy on brakes compared to Hallett.
Thanks for the answers guys, So best bet is race pads with Hardbar rotors and stock calipers?
Or the wilwood SL6.
Old 05-06-2006, 01:19 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 284 Likes on 200 Posts

I run the full StopTech package. It does not require an aftermarket master cylinder, but does require 18" wheels to clear. Read the Brake White Papers on the StopTech home page, and talk to Jeff (jeffritter@stoptech) for more information. I am very pleased with mine.

Get notified of new replies

To Brakes Brakes brakes.

Quick Reply: Brakes Brakes brakes.