Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V710s or RA1s

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 11:35 AM
yellow01
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default V710s or RA1s

Sorry to post another tire topic, but prices went up for new RA1s so the difference in these two sets is now $300.

So I'm curious what people's experiences are with these two tires. Primarily lifetime. Will the $300 price difference bet made up over the lifetime of the tire?

That's a chunk of money (another DE weekend) so I don't want to spend it if I don't need to.

thanks for any inputs.

Jon
Old 05-05-2006, 02:17 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To me, there's not a better value out there than the Kumho V710. It is just an awesome tire!!!! I haven't found anything that is this fast, predictable and still gives plenty of tread life!
Old 05-05-2006, 02:38 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

I agree! I wouldn't touch the RA1 for the value of the 710.
Old 05-05-2006, 03:31 PM
yellow01
Le Mans Master

A vendor told me 710s would overheat and last 3 sessions...

Sounds like that may not be the case?
Old 05-05-2006, 03:39 PM
Too Tall Bob
Racer

Originally Posted by wtknght1
To me, there's not a better value out there than the Kumho V710. It is just an awesome tire!!!! I haven't found anything that is this fast, predictable and still gives plenty of tread life!
DITTO, DITTO, DITTO!! I run both, and while the RA1's are a great tire, those 710's belong in the "Tire Hall of Fame"!! Always predictable, great wear (I got an amazing 28 heat cycles out of my last set) and stay consistent, even when worn out!

I ran a time trial back in December on some "VERY" worn 710's at Spring Mtn., and thought for sure that my time would be alot slower than in the past. Not only did I set fastest time against a field of GT3's, Viper's, Z06's, etc., but I reset my own personal best lap time on a set of tires that were on the verge of being corded. I was very impressed! (With the tire, that is!)
Old 05-05-2006, 06:08 PM
Maineiac
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06

I just ran V710's for the first time ever, at Watkins Glen. I'm VERY impressed with them so far.

I would recommend them....

Great tire....good value.
Old 05-05-2006, 07:23 PM
Bob 33
Racer

I run RA-1s as my everyday tire, intially mounting them with full 8mm tread. They are an outstanding crossover street/track tire, getting better as the squimyness of the full tread diminishes with the tread. But if I was not driving to the track and back one the same set of wheels, I would definetly be running the V710s.

Bob 33
Old 05-05-2006, 09:14 PM
Z06 Silver Bullet
Racer

Your comparing an apple and an orange.

RA1's only if you drive on those tires. If you trailer than no brainer for the kumho's
Old 05-06-2006, 08:34 AM
yellow01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Z06 Silver Bullet
Your comparing an apple and an orange.

RA1's only if you drive on those tires. If you trailer than no brainer for the kumho's
I understand the apples/orange comment but I've recieved feedback from a few sources that the v710s can overheat and blister after a few sessions of summer use (track, not ax).

I can't really afford a set/weekend, so was looking for scrubs (can't find 'em all) or a better tire that would definitely last a few weekends.

I've gotten rave feedback on the performance of the v710s, but mixed reviews on the longevity and especially the viability for a full weekend in 90* weather.

Thanks for the inputs,
Jon
Old 05-06-2006, 10:04 AM
Too Tall Bob
Racer

Jon,
The RA1's are an excellent track tire and are a real bargain if you buy them as scuffs. The 710's are just better and wear very well, even in the heat of summer. I've driven on my 710's in near-100 degree heat in Vegas and had no issues.

Now, as far as being a bargain, here's how I figured my cost for each tire:

Kumho 710's cost me a little over $1,000/set shipped and I got 28 thirty minute sessions out of my last set, which means it cost me about $35 per session. The used Toyo RA1's cost me about $340/set shipped and I got about 14 thirty minute sessions out of them, which means it cost me about $24 per session. This is based on my driving and track temps, so yours will probably vary from that. While the 710's are really good, the Toyo's also do a great job and can be a better bargain if you don't thrash them. I have several friends who run them exclusively and also get great wear out of them. The key is to keep them rotated and flipped so you can get even wear....which I do with any of my tires.

Now, if you REALLY want a bargain for a track tire, try these: Firestone Wide Ovals! So, before you start condemning me about these tires, let me tell you that I bought a set a year ago to replace my GY F-1's. I rarely ever drive my car on the street anymore (strictly a track car now) but I needed a really cheap tire for those few times that I did. For giggles, I took my car out on the track with the FS's, and to my surprise, my lap times were only about 1-2 seconds off of what I had done previously with a set of $1,200 Goodyear F-1's!! I was shocked! And, they will NOT wear out...I have since hammered them into submission and purposely over-driven them to see what they are made of, and they just will not wear out. I would have gone through 2 sets of GY's with the same kind of punishment that I have given to those FS's, and at about $750/set, THAT is a real bargain.....and, they're a great street tire too!

I know that there are better inexpensive street tires available, such as the Kumho MX's, but those FS's have been very impressive on the track if you aren't looking for lap-record times, but want something that is very consistent and long-wearing. I have a blast driving on them, and come off the track with them still smoking!

Last edited by Too Tall Bob; 05-06-2006 at 10:19 AM.
Old 05-06-2006, 10:49 AM
yellow01
Le Mans Master

Too Tall,

Thanks! That is helpful.

Jon
Old 05-08-2006, 09:31 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by yellow01
A vendor told me 710s would overheat and last 3 sessions...

Sounds like that may not be the case?
The vendor is clueless. Just keep the hot pressures below 40 and you'll be fine.
Old 05-08-2006, 03:30 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Too Tall Bob
Jon,
The RA1's are an excellent track tire and are a real bargain if you buy them as scuffs. The 710's are just better and wear very well, even in the heat of summer. I've driven on my 710's in near-100 degree heat in Vegas and had no issues.

Now, as far as being a bargain, here's how I figured my cost for each tire:

Kumho 710's cost me a little over $1,000/set shipped and I got 28 thirty minute sessions out of my last set, which means it cost me about $35 per session. The used Toyo RA1's cost me about $340/set shipped and I got about 14 thirty minute sessions out of them, which means it cost me about $24 per session. This is based on my driving and track temps, so yours will probably vary from that. While the 710's are really good, the Toyo's also do a great job and can be a better bargain if you don't thrash them. I have several friends who run them exclusively and also get great wear out of them. The key is to keep them rotated and flipped so you can get even wear....which I do with any of my tires.

Now, if you REALLY want a bargain for a track tire, try these: Firestone Wide Ovals! So, before you start condemning me about these tires, let me tell you that I bought a set a year ago to replace my GY F-1's. I rarely ever drive my car on the street anymore (strictly a track car now) but I needed a really cheap tire for those few times that I did. For giggles, I took my car out on the track with the FS's, and to my surprise, my lap times were only about 1-2 seconds off of what I had done previously with a set of $1,200 Goodyear F-1's!! I was shocked! And, they will NOT wear out...I have since hammered them into submission and purposely over-driven them to see what they are made of, and they just will not wear out. I would have gone through 2 sets of GY's with the same kind of punishment that I have given to those FS's, and at about $750/set, THAT is a real bargain.....and, they're a great street tire too!

I know that there are better inexpensive street tires available, such as the Kumho MX's, but those FS's have been very impressive on the track if you aren't looking for lap-record times, but want something that is very consistent and long-wearing. I have a blast driving on them, and come off the track with them still smoking!

First of all you are comparing a NEW 710 to a used RA1. I am sure you can buy a set of used 710's for about the same as RA1's. I actually looked up both tires and the RA1's new are more than the 710's new...$1070 vs. $860'ish. I personaly run 17"s all the way around and for (2) 275's and (2) 315's, they cost about $860. The RA1's were not even available in anything larger than 275 in a 17" wheel, which is totally lame. If you run stock Z06 sizes, they do come in 305/18" but will cost you almost $1100. Also, you need to shave the RA1's to make them last and work properly, so add that to the overall cost. The 710's require no shaving.

So in the end, the RA1's will cost you much more $$$$, provide 70% as much grip, and wear about the same, oh and are only available in very select sizes.

I do not own Kuhmo stock or have any specific reason to push them, other than comparing based on real facts. If the facts were the other way around, I would push the Toyo's. The only reason to use the Toyo's is if you have to drive them to the track.
Old 05-08-2006, 03:41 PM
TooManyIDs
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Just to add another perspective on sizes, it is always going to come down to a wheel / tire combination you can use.

Example, I drive, not trailer the car. Corsair setup for the C6 is:

18 x 10
18 x 11

which happens to go with RA-1 sizes

275/35WR18
305/35WR18

that meet the criteria I set. I'd rather use V710's (had V700's on my last set of CCW's), but they aren't made in the sizes I need.
Old 05-08-2006, 03:47 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by TooManyIDs
Just to add another perspective on sizes, it is always going to come down to a wheel / tire combination you can use.

Example, I drive, not trailer the car. Corsair setup for the C6 is:

18 x 10
18 x 11

which happens to go with RA-1 sizes

275/35WR18
305/35WR18

that meet the criteria I set. I'd rather use V710's (had V700's on my last set of CCW's), but they aren't made in the sizes I need.
You easily fit 285's on a 10" rim, and you can fit 315's on an 11" rim, and Kuhmo makes both in 18" for about $1050, and both fit under the wheel well.

Get yourself a little harboor freight and your on your way!
Old 05-08-2006, 03:52 PM
TooManyIDs
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 95jersey
You easily fit 285's on a 10" rim, and you can fit 315's on an 11" rim, and Kuhmo makes both in 18" for about $1050, and both fit under the wheel well.

Get yourself a little harboor freight and your on your way!
I did the 285/30 on the 10" wheel, never liked it since the rim of the wheel stuck out past the tire.

You mean trailer and mount at the track in 100 degree Texas heat? You don't understand how lazy I am, swapping wheels is bad enough.

Get notified of new replies

To V710s or RA1s

Quick Reply: V710s or RA1s