Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Too much brake? Also Stupid Suspension Question of the day

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 12:33 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

Default Too much brake? Also Stupid Suspension Question of the day

I just finished putting on the Wildwood J pads I bought from Jason here on the forum for my HPDE Friday.

Took them out to bed them in and have some questions. I left my stock Z06 pads on the rear. Its pretty out of shape braking hard from 90-100mph. I get alot of wheel lock up and ABS action.

Should I put the J's on the rear too? Is it unbalanced from having the Z06's on the rear? The wheel lock up I assume means I need either better tires or more heat in them? They were cold Kuhmo MX's and its about 65 out right now.

The pads seem to wear more on one side than the other, the inner wearing about 1 to 1.5mm more. I looked at the Z06's I took off and found them to be similar so I placed the J's on in the same pattern.

Love the brake feel even cold. Will they even up on the stopping if they get hot?

Stupid question part...while working on the passenger side I saw the bolt for the front spring that connects to the lower control arm...is there supposed to be a nut on it?

Haven't checked the drivers side yet but logic tells me yes, but you never know.

If there is, anyone know the torque specs? I'll order a pair up from the dealer.

Thanks
Old 05-03-2006, 01:13 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You were probably jamming on the brakes and not squeezing the brakes. You shouldn't have any issues with the stock Z brakes on the back, but you'd do better putting a complete set of racing pads on there. And remember, squeeze the brakes down - don't romp on them. And, brake in a straight line!

As far as the bolt goes - no, there's no nut. That the ride height adjustment bolt. The bolt (which goes thru the spring) sits on the center part of the lower control arm. That's how you adjust ride height and corner weighting. The rear spring on the C5 is not done that way. However, the rear spring of the C6 is.
Old 05-03-2006, 01:27 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

Cool, thanks for the response.

You are correct, I was jumping on the brakes.
Old 05-03-2006, 03:20 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the H and they are a little much for street tires. They will activate the ABS pretty easily on the street with cold tires. Once you get out on the track and get several warm up laps, they will get easier to modulate.
Old 05-03-2006, 03:51 PM
WNDOPDLR
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The difference in pad wear might be a concern. Have you removed the pins that the calipers slide on and made sure they are lubed? Are your calipers centering as they should? I remove mine with every pad change, clean them with brake clean, clean the bores with brake clean and Q tips, lube them with hi-temp brake grease (anti sieze is OK), but use either sparingly and reassemble. Thre will be a little difference in pad wear, side to side, but it shouldn't be significant.
Old 05-03-2006, 05:50 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

Can you explain that in detail a bit more?

I know exactly what your talking about, but the C5 doesn't have the traditional ones I'm used to.

I have 2 bolts, top and bottom, very short and small, put on with locktite.

I assume there is some slide mechanism but its not the one I'm used to seeing where you have the long bolt that is threaded on the end and the slide portion in the middle.
Old 05-03-2006, 06:43 PM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by NoOne
Can you explain that in detail a bit more?

I have 2 bolts, top and bottom, very short and small, put on with locktite.

Those 2 bolts go into the sliding pins. Take off the 2 bolts and pull out the sliding pins . There is a rubber boot on them. They slide off with the pin.

Steve

Last edited by mountainbiker2; 05-03-2006 at 06:46 PM.
Old 05-03-2006, 08:41 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

Thanks.

We just got finished up putting my Z06 pads on my buddy's 05 GTO. His car has just under 8000 miles and to say its driven easy is an understatement.

His pads were identical to mine, interior pad was worn more, almost exactly the same as the pad I pulled off my C5 and identical to the pad I bought used.

I'll pull mine part and re-grease them tommorow but it seems to be something consistent with that PBR caliper.
Old 05-03-2006, 08:53 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,930 Likes on 5,334 Posts

Yes it is consistent. On the track the wear will be more pronounced. After a few sessions of hard brake usage you will notice the pedal travel getting a little long. Some times the brake pedal drops below the gas pedal which makes it hard to heel/toe. The solution to this is to give the brakes a quick preliminary pump as you approach a turn. This brings the pads back in line with the rotor and reduces the pedal travel. One person I know reaches over with his left foot and gives a couple light taps on the brake pedal about half way down the straight.

Bill
Old 05-04-2006, 07:23 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

Thanks for the tip on the sliders.

I pulled them apart today to find them pretty much dry.

Regreased them all and we'll see how they do tommorow.

Thanks again

Get notified of new replies

To Too much brake? Also Stupid Suspension Question of the day

Quick Reply: Too much brake? Also Stupid Suspension Question of the day