Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust mod - dump in front of rear wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 07:40 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Default Exhaust mod - dump in front of rear wheels?

I have the oem exhaust from my 1996 LT4 that was replaced with a Corsa. Love the Corsa but it weighs a bunch.

Has anyone done an exhaust mod where the exit is in front of the rear wheels & maybe a SuperTrapp tip so you can adjust the noise if you run where they have noise monitoring?

I was thinking of having a shop cut up my original & fab something like I described.

Pictures? Suggestions?
Old 05-02-2006, 07:45 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I would think that ground clearance in that location might be a problem. Is the car a dual purpose ride - track and street ? Your local DMV ***** might have something to say about a modified exhaust location if you drive it on the street.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:05 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by CHJ In Virginia
I would think that ground clearance in that location might be a problem. Is the car a dual purpose ride - track and street ? Your local DMV ***** might have something to say about a modified exhaust location if you drive it on the street.

Yes, dual purpose, although it's ending up more on the track than street.

Yes, clearance is a concern, that's why I am posting, looking for ideas.

Maybe just Muffler eliminators?

In California it seems that LEO's have something to say if you don't have a neatly pressed shirt on, never mind a mod like exhaust.

No offense LEO's on the forum, I do support LE just not chicken s**t tickets.
Old 05-04-2006, 04:26 PM
nassaufrc
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On my race car, we run straight pipes straight out the back. On the street, we run the same, but with small through mufflers right after the suspension and the tips right next to the mufflers. It is easy to change them out, even though we don't anymore.
Old 05-04-2006, 05:25 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Any chance you could shoot me a picture? bobplante@adelphia.net

or post here?

TIA
Old 05-04-2006, 08:32 PM
fmrfast
Racer

Running 5" of ground clearance I think the only option would be the DR. Gas Boom pipe 1.5" thick as used in NASCAR. I thought about this set up for my C4 race car however, I opted for the DR gas X pipe then straight out the back. To many issues even with the boom tube for ground clearance; for example getting on & off the trailer. An off road excursion at the track. Dr Gas has done C4's but none out the side.

If you go out the side let us know how it works out, I think you wouuld be the first I have seen on a C4
Old 05-05-2006, 10:09 AM
nassaufrc
Racer

I will try to get some this weekend. It is pretty simple. Aster the exhaust goes over the suspension, shoot it straight out the same exit location without using the bendsof the stock exhaust. You can make hangars really easily. Then you can adjust the type of mufflers.
Old 05-05-2006, 12:29 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

I've seen Speed GT cars where the exhaust exits that way.

The one thing I'd be concerned about is flunking sound at the track.

I'm running muff eliminators ( straight pipes ), but since it's a street car I'm also running the cats.
Old 05-05-2006, 02:56 PM
Vetracr
Pro

One option is to splice your exhaust just behind the differential using 3 bolt header flanges. You can then bolt on mufflers for the street or straight pipes for track events. I had this set up on my ITE race car. At sound control tracks I would bolt on Flowmasters. I welded on a Supertrap adapter to ther rear of the flowmasters. When I still couldn't make sound I would add supertraps to the back of the Flowmasters. Otherwise I would bolt turndowns to the back of the flowmasters aimed away from the sound station.

Larry
Old 05-05-2006, 08:05 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Originally Posted by froggy47
Has anyone done an exhaust mod where the exit is in front of the rear wheels & maybe a SuperTrapp tip so you can adjust the noise if you run where they have noise monitoring?

I was thinking of having a shop cut up my original & fab something like I described.

Pictures? Suggestions?
I haven't seen it for a C4 but I have seen it done on a couple of C5s. Danny Kellermeyer has that type of exhaust on his TCC cars. The exhaust is a flat piece of pipe that comes out in front of the tire and just below the rocker. He has something on the rocker to protect it from the exhaust heat. Looks like the exhaust that NASCAR uses on its stock cars.

You can see it in this picture from his web site: http://djrace.com/Photo_Gallery/2005/Atlanta/03.html

Bill
Old 05-06-2006, 09:31 PM
FB#1
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I went headers to flowmasters to exit in front of rear wheels. I'm right at 4" of clearance. See sig pics.

Get notified of new replies

To Exhaust mod - dump in front of rear wheels?

Quick Reply: Exhaust mod - dump in front of rear wheels?