Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clearance with Wilwood SL6 Brake Kit...

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 10:36 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Clearance with Wilwood SL6 Brake Kit...

We'll, first I must say that the brakes themselves performed FLAWLESSLY and I could definately feel a SOTP difference. Now my C5 calipers were 4 track season old, so that could have something to do with it. But they are really an awesome brake package. I was running street tires and the tires were NO WHERE NEAR capable of handling the stopping power of the brakes. I could not use more than 65% of the brakes even from a 140- 40mph brake zone. I would recommend these to anyone upgrading from the stock C5 brakes.

BUT (yes there is a but)...I ***-U-ME'd from several recommendations on this forum and the vendor, that the Wilwood SL6 brake kit would fit under a set of GS 17" rims...we'll guess what...THEY ABSOLUTELY DO NOT!!!

I am no going into who and how...water under the bridge, but I did find out the hard way yesterday that the Wilwood brake kit does not fit under a set of GS 17" rims. The rims don't have enough offset to clear the sheer width of the caliper, but the height is fine.

Now for your help once again...I had to run on my street tires as they brakes do clear the Z06 rims. So I have 2 choices:

1) Keep my rear GS rims, but ditch the fronts, and buy 2 front Z06 rims and just run with an awkward looking set up. Essentially from a pure functionality standpoint, this should work fine, but I now have to find 2 rims $$$.

2) Buy a set of spacers for the front only and install them when changing to my GS rims. This is probably cheaper (mabye), but then I need longer wheel studs (all 10). Also, when I drive on the street, will I have studs that stick out past the rims which may look funky? How much are (2) spacers and (10) studs? Most importantly what will (say a 1/2 wider track up front) do to the balance and handling of the car?

Last edited by 95jersey; 05-02-2006 at 11:34 AM.
Old 05-02-2006, 12:14 PM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going the spacer, longer stud route. The ARP studs from DRM are 1" longer thread and are ~$40. Look under the wheels section. The only down side is that I couldn't get the studs in w/o taking the bearings out. Not to big of a deal, but still more work. Another mm and they would have fit.

Get the spacers from CCW 2 were ~$40
Old 05-02-2006, 12:23 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Lancer033
I'm going the spacer, longer stud route. The ARP studs from DRM are 1" longer thread and are ~$40. Look under the wheels section. The only down side is that I couldn't get the studs in w/o taking the bearings out. Not to big of a deal, but still more work. Another mm and they would have fit.

Get the spacers from CCW 2 were ~$40
I found some spacers online that have the studs mounted in them. So you torque the spacer onto the existing studs and the spacer has new studs that you would torque onto the wheel. What abou these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/WHEEL...QQcmdZViewItem

I could bolt these on without replacing the studs or taking the assembly apart. So, they are $110 for (2). Now I need to see how cheap I can get a couple beat up Z06 rims from a junkyard.
Old 05-02-2006, 01:10 PM
Jeffvette
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually they do fit under 5 spoke A mold rims. With spacers.
Old 05-02-2006, 01:12 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Jeffvette
Actually they do fit under 5 spoke A mold rims. With spacers.
What do you think...1" spacer is enough? It looked like they only needed about aa 1/2, but the smallest spacer I found is 1".
Old 05-02-2006, 02:09 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

I called LG, and they think a 1/4" spacer will not need longer wheel studs? It's hard to measure how much room is needed, but I think 1/4" should be enough. Anyone know the answer to both these questions? I have another driver event this weeked and need to make a FAST decision. The spacers are $50 ea.

Still waiting on the price of the rims. I am thinking about $100 each.
Old 05-02-2006, 02:34 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

We sell spacers and studs for your car. 1/4, 3/8 and 5/8 spacers. The rule of thumb is your lug should go in as far as it is wide. So you should have over a 1/2 of threads into your lugs. This is a minium measurment so please don't lie to yourself about this. We sell studs that are 1/2 longer and 1 inch longer.

Thanks
Randy
www.dougrippie.com
Old 05-02-2006, 02:36 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

A easy way to measure is to use cheap hardware washers to see how much clearance you need. Give yourself some extra because wheels, bearings, and everything else moves around during hard track use.

Randy
Old 05-02-2006, 02:39 PM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 95jersey
What do you think...1" spacer is enough? It looked like they only needed about aa 1/2, but the smallest spacer I found is 1".
put a stack of washers on the studs as temp spacers, once you figure out how many you need for the wheels to clear the brakes take the washers off and measure the stack.

I measured 5/8" on mine
Old 05-02-2006, 02:52 PM
tcmc5
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jersey, are you running the GS 9.5s in front? I'm interested in knowing if the GS 11s have the same clearance problem.
Old 05-02-2006, 03:10 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by tcmc5
Jersey, are you running the GS 9.5s in front? I'm interested in knowing if the GS 11s have the same clearance problem.
Yes, I run the 9.5's on the front and 11.5's on the rear. I did not check to see if the 11.5's would fit, but that could be an option (if they do). I am thinking they won't, but I will check later tonight. I am going to jack the car up and measure the space. If Lancer came up with 5/8's, I would imagine it would be the same for me (and you).

The only PITA about this is changing the studs. Not to penny pinch on everything, but if I need to buy 2 spacers ($100) and 2 sets of studs ($60), I may just buy 2 used Z06 rims and avoid the labor. My buddy owns a junk yard, so I can probably get a couple decent condition Z06 rims for the same price. I can always sell my 9.5 for $50 ea. and get some $$$ back. If he comes back with a $200+ price tag, I'll be getting the spacer.

Also, I was told that spacers (even 1/2") can put a lot of additional stress on your wheel bearings and put your suspension geometry "out of wack". I would like to aviod this if possible.
Old 05-02-2006, 05:03 PM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 95jersey
Yes, I run the 9.5's on the front and 11.5's on the rear. I did not check to see if the 11.5's would fit, but that could be an option (if they do). I am thinking they won't, but I will check later tonight. I am going to jack the car up and measure the space. If Lancer came up with 5/8's, I would imagine it would be the same for me (and you).

The only PITA about this is changing the studs. Not to penny pinch on everything, but if I need to buy 2 spacers ($100) and 2 sets of studs ($60), I may just buy 2 used Z06 rims and avoid the labor. My buddy owns a junk yard, so I can probably get a couple decent condition Z06 rims for the same price. I can always sell my 9.5 for $50 ea. and get some $$$ back. If he comes back with a $200+ price tag, I'll be getting the spacer.

Also, I was told that spacers (even 1/2") can put a lot of additional stress on your wheel bearings and put your suspension geometry "out of wack". I would like to aviod this if possible.
Please double check my numbers before you spend any money. I haven't used it yet, just measured w/ the washers

good luck, nothing wrong with pinching pennies
Old 05-02-2006, 07:58 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My spacers for thwe GS OEM wheels are .850" I have .750" for the CCW wheels. Forget about ebay spacers you need to know they were properly designed and manufactured. I put Wilwoods on the rear and needed spacers there also. Now I have a wide track Pontiac Matt you will look like a ricer Getting some from DRM this week.

I got the studs from DRM before last season but only put the rears in this week. When I replaced all the wheel bearings I couldn't find the rears the fronts had them since I got my CCW's. 5/8 may fit you wheel just check it.

You can buy cheap calipers in Sears for 30 bucks made by General Tool which are handy. Ungraded washers are made from scrape so pick some similar ones. You can do three studs with washers to get the spacing. Person on the other forum used washers only to space the wheel period. This means no load on hub center

He was P'oed when I told him it was dangerous

Last edited by John Shiels; 05-02-2006 at 08:00 PM.
Old 05-02-2006, 10:40 PM
Zoli007
Racer

Interesting to hear your positive experience with the willwoods. From what I've read on this forum it seems they are really not that great.

Maybe they are good for the 1-2 occasional track days a year I'd do no?

Sorry about your fitment issues, but glad to hear they work well.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:18 PM
TooManyIDs
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Zoli007
Interesting to hear your positive experience with the willwoods. From what I've read on this forum it seems they are really not that great.

Yes, the "regular" Wilwoods are far more than adequate for the occasional track days.
Old 05-03-2006, 01:46 AM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

stock calipers are more than up to the task of 1-2 track days a year with the right pads and good fluid in them
Old 05-03-2006, 06:09 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Zoli007

Best money I have spent and I have been pounding them for two years, Great calipers and I get my rotors red hot in daylight pictures. Pads lasted 1500 track miles and I just put some on the rear.

Get notified of new replies

To Clearance with Wilwood SL6 Brake Kit...

Old 05-03-2006, 12:35 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

OK...just found (2) 17" Z06 rims in MD $200 with curb rash (perfect!). I spent about $40 more than the spacers, but I don't have to take apart the hub and install new studs. There coming tomorrow.

Who wants a set of (2) used GS 9.5" x 17" track rims (black) (2 years old)? only $200

This way I don't have to use spacers and longer studs. I wanted to aviod this if possible. Otherwise, I would of had 2 front wheels with 5/8" wider track than the rear and fugly studs that stick out with the stock rims on the street. Now I only look fugly at the track
Old 05-03-2006, 02:08 PM
mothersworry
Pro

Are these GM wheels and do you have pic's? I am intrested?
Old 05-03-2006, 02:10 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

They are AFS rims...I actually got 2 PM's but they are still on the market. Please IM me and I will send you pics tonight. Also, I am kidding about $200, I will do better than that.

Quick Reply: Clearance with Wilwood SL6 Brake Kit...