Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel cost predicted at 5.00 per gallon!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 08:17 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Fuel cost predicted at 5.00 per gallon!

Fuel prices are predicted at 5.00 per gallon in 6 months . Tire prices have gone up 30% at Bridgestone / Firestone recently from fuel prices I think this will have a major effect on our hobby. Twenty five bucks for a 5 gallon can of gas I'll be running RC cars. The havoc it will cause in my business to boot doesn't look good. Track day at Lime Rock with some clubs 300 per day

Last edited by John Shiels; 04-30-2006 at 08:27 AM.
Old 04-30-2006, 08:28 AM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

What was the source of the price estimate ?? I have seen numerous sky high predictions from various sources. The US definitely is losing the oil war to China. In the past year China has inked deals with several African nations for production and export of their oil reserves. These nations are "not human rights friendly" so the holier than thou US will not do business with them. These supplies are gone forever. When will our government wake up, the entire economy runs on oil. Until someone invents the Mr. Fusion mini reactor from Back to the Future - it is going to be a long downhill slide. Enjoy it while you can.
Old 04-30-2006, 08:30 AM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by John Shiels
Fuel prices are predicted at 5.00 per gallon in 6 months . Tire prices have gone up 30% at Bridgestone / Firestone recently from fuel prices I think this will have a major effect on our hobby. Twenty five bucks for a 5 gallon can of gas I'll be running RC cars. The havoc it will cause in my business to boot doesn't look good.
How can that be?? Our elected officials say the economy is BOOMING ..
redvetracr
Old 04-30-2006, 08:36 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by redvetracr
redvetracr

They would be politicians, right?

Actually, a booming economy does drive up prices on key consumables due to increased demand of growth.

Fuel prices have already hit me hard and tire prices are getting tough to justify. My latest tire rack order was over $1300
Old 04-30-2006, 08:49 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

and to think one of the largest oil reservesin the world is held in reserver for US national emergancies.

and where is this big oil reserver?? Well about 50 miles off the VA and NC cost. But NOOOO dont drill near my beach.

time to break out the still again and turn up that shine in to race fuel.
Old 04-30-2006, 09:12 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

It was stated on CNN, they said various sources which doesn't seem hard to believe as I watch prices go through the roof daily. Asphalt has increased 4X in 4 years. Guess Lime Rock will never get paved. Masonry supplies have jumped 10% in January and scheduled to go up in June again. People will have less excess cash as they heat their homes along with the fuel bills. I was at Pocono last year when fuel prices first hit me. I filled up two 5 gallon cans for 33 bucks. Filling the Excursion may cost 220 per tank Never mine my business trucks.

My friend who I am building a new building for is in the boat business selling new boats for 20-50'. His business is all but shut down. Filling a 48' boat could easily cost over 2500 bucks for 450 gallons on the water.

It won't take long for the economy to shut down either as consumers spend the extra money on fuel.

China is scheduled to drill for oil 70 miles off the US coast for oil real soon in Cuban waters.

Last edited by John Shiels; 04-30-2006 at 09:18 AM.
Old 04-30-2006, 09:28 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

Energy costs have really affected the cost of metals. I don't sell the titanium C5 lowering kit any more because the bar stock went from $190 to $340. Aluminum and steel have gone up alot also, and I have tried very hard to not have a any price increases by doing different manufacturing methods (such as automatic screw machines to make the seat stud adapters) but I can only do so much. The economy is indeed good, Hardbar sales have been a record levels (Thanks everyone!) but even shipping has gone ballistic.
The only good news on the energy front is that the local electrical utility (PSNH) announced that our electrical bills will be reduced 12% starting in July due to our local Nuke power plant having paid off some long term debt. I think we need more nukes!
Old 04-30-2006, 09:45 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ghoffman
.....I think we need more nukes!

It is the only rational option.....yes, I am biased
Old 04-30-2006, 09:54 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

Oh yes while I am a mood to rant...
I was coming out of a play with my G/F, soon to be my wife, and some Alpha Hotel started giving me a hard time about my car (C6Z) being a gas guzzler. I informed him that it gets almost 30 MPG and he called me a liar. He is fortunate I was in a mello mood (we were just at a play, come on!) 'cause I would have ripped off his 60 year old pony tail and whipped him with it...
Old 04-30-2006, 11:32 AM
fcarga
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Right on, Gary! Nick
Old 04-30-2006, 11:48 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Boys, y’all are a little late to the “Damn, these energy prices are high!” party.

We use a lot of natural gas in our business. Before Katrina last August our gas price was ~$100,000 per month. After Katrina our gas price went immediately to over $200,000 per month. We couldn’t pass those increases to our customers so we had to eat it. The price just started coming back down to near normal levels the past month or so. If it had kept up, we would have gone out of business.

I lived aboard a nuke reactor for 2 years, so I’m an advocate of nuclear power.
Old 04-30-2006, 11:58 AM
johninar
Drifting

The 5 dollar a gallon is not based upon any mathematical model; it's just the ill-informed media and politically motivated trying to stir up discontent. Could it go to $5.00? Absolutely. Will it get there? I bet you a tank of 103 octane it does not. There is not a man alive who knows what gas will cost 6 months or a year from now. You can look at certain models and adjust supply chain, refining capacities, and pressures from every possible force ranging from China to Al-Qaeda, and see trends. Will we return to $179 a gallon? I don't think we will, but who would have believed the low interest rates we had just 2 years ago? Energy shortages have faced man since the stone age. Read about the energy shortages in Manhattan in the 1800s. Nothing new.

Personally, I will do my part to help support the local gas station, the refinery workers, and the tanker crews, and keep driving!!
I'm driving a car that gets close to twice what an SUV gets, so this makes me a patriotic American.

See you at the track
Old 04-30-2006, 12:04 PM
Cisitalia
Racer

Originally Posted by varkwso
It is the only rational option.....yes, I am biased
I am biased as well, being a Nuclear Engineer. My company AREVA NP Inc. (ex Framatome ANP) makes nuclear plants and services existing plants. Our CEO announced plans to build 11 in the near future for the USA. That does not count the rest of the world. I am working on the US certified design and licensing of our EPR (Evolutionary Power Reactor). We are the only company presently building an advanced nuclear power plant. It's being built in Finland and shortly here in the US. Our first two will be in Maryland with a joint venture with Constellation Energy and Bechtel.

The economics of nuclear generated electricity is excellent and environmentally friendly. The safety is there and not building more nuclear plants has been a political problem.
Old 04-30-2006, 05:48 PM
johninar
Drifting

Originally Posted by Cisitalia
I am biased as well, being a Nuclear Engineer. .
So you're the one with the glow in the dark Vette.

I'm behind you, can we muzzle Jane Fonda long enough to build 'em?
Old 04-30-2006, 06:40 PM
danswofford
Pro

We have been living in a bubble with the low gas prices in the US. $5.00 a gal would be about what Europe pays. Unfortunatly, high prices will be the only thing that will prod our elected members to take action to develop alternative fuels and energy systems. We live in an unsustanable economy and environment and it will change sooner or later.
Old 04-30-2006, 07:31 PM
seege
Intermediate

The average price on my 20 mile commute is $3.31 today - lowest is 3.25. Near the airport everything is 3.40. 7 weeks ago we were paying 2.40 -2.50. I doubt it will take 6 months to see 5.00.
Old 04-30-2006, 07:34 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by redvetracr
redvetracr

Have any more pictures of the Vette's racing they are really great looking?

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel cost predicted at 5.00 per gallon!

Old 04-30-2006, 07:49 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by johninar
So you're the one with the glow in the dark Vette.

I'm behind you, can we muzzle Jane Fonda long enough to build 'em?

Nope, they are several of us with nuke supported cars....
Old 04-30-2006, 09:47 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

Ugh...prices will rise because people believe prices will rise.

You keep saying it, they'll just do it.
Old 04-30-2006, 10:13 PM
Bink
Safety Car

Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

We were going to $100 a barrel in 1981. Damn shame many speculated on those beliefs. Texas and Oklahoma suffered greatly back then.

I'm all for Nukes...always have been, all types.

Amazing what a strong deterent they can be.

Do you think we'll need a couple Bunker Nukes for Iran's "research"??

Quick Reply: Fuel cost predicted at 5.00 per gallon!