Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Square Setup on a C5 for Autocross?

Old 04-28-2006, 10:24 PM
VetteLooking
Pro

Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts

Default Square Setup on a C5 for Autocross?

Based on my experience and driving style I had always felt that my F45 suspension had a little too much push.

I added Z06 sways, and although I understand that this theroretically added more understeer, I did not feel there was a significant difference here. The bars did make for significantly better cornering though.

Suprisingly (at least to me) was that lowering the rear of the car by approximately 3/8" made a bigger impact on this. I would not say that the car is as neutral as I would like it to be, but I felt that it improved.

My thought was to move to a square setup to decrease understeer. Is this far too radical for a C5? Would 275mm x 4 cause the rear to be far too loose? Should I consider 285 x 2 and 265 x 2 instead.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Craig
Old 04-29-2006, 09:55 AM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

If your racing in autocross, you have to decide what class your going to run in for starters. Alignment would be the next change I would make. How aggressive do you want it to be? Go for a bigger rear sway-bar. Smaller front. Try different air pressures.
Where does the car understeer? Entry,Mid or Exit. Adjust your driving style. These are some of things I would look into. There's nothing wrong with a square setup either.

Steve
Old 05-01-2006, 09:14 AM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 315 Likes on 270 Posts

You left out a lot of information for us to help. What group are you running with (SCCA,NCCC,NASA.DCSCC, etc.) stock class or a prepared class, street tires or sticky tires, upgrades permitted, and others. Horsepower mods make another difference.

Get notified of new replies

To Square Setup on a C5 for Autocross?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Square Setup on a C5 for Autocross?