Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel straps?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 01:38 PM
RedHotBolt
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel straps?

I purcased the hooks that go in the frame to attach straps to so I could haul my car on a trailer. Hooking all of this up in a criss-cross is a PITA. Are wheel straps okay to use (do they damage the wheel)? I'm sure there is a better way than what I'm doing. The straps I bought at Home Depot have a double hook on them and they will not really pull on the correct place on the hook like they should. Looking for the hot set-up on this?

Jerry
Old 04-27-2006, 03:37 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

I'm not a big fan of hooking straps to the wheels. That puts strain on the suspension components rather than the frame. There should be a hook on the end of the strap that should fit nicely into the frame slots (at the jacking point). That's where I attach mine (criss-cross) and it works great.
Old 04-28-2006, 02:27 PM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 316 Likes on 271 Posts

If you mount over the wheels, it is important to have almost a 90 deg attachement point at the wheels. Using this method is the preferred way of transporting according to Circle Track magazine for race cars. According to them, tie downs to the frame are for a one time shipping as it heavily stresses the suspension components. When the wheels are used as a tie down, the car rides on its own suspension and the trailers suspension buffers most of the road shock. They first wrote about this method in the early eights after extensive testing and have revived it about every 8-10 years and still think its the best.

For 20 years I trailered my C2 that way with never a problem and never replaced a spring. On an enclosed trailer it is more difficult to do but not any harder than using the frame tie down points.
Old 04-28-2006, 03:10 PM
RedHotBolt
Pro

Two completely different ideas on the same subject?????

J
Old 04-28-2006, 04:44 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Suspension still works with the frame tie downs. Shouldn't take more than 5 minutes to strap the car down with frame points.

Get notified of new replies

To Wheel straps?

Quick Reply: Wheel straps?