Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Oil Cooler Info Needed - Your Experience Please ??

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 08:46 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Engine Oil Cooler Info Needed - Your Experience Please ??

My next mod will be an auxillary oil cooler for the Z06. I am seeing temps from 260-275 after a 25 minute track session this spring. The hot summer days have me concerned for even higher temps and engine longevity. I have looked at radiator replacements like Dewitts and external cooler packages like the ones offered by DRM and LPE. I want a relatively easy installation and cooling performance so I am considering an external package like the DRM. What has your experience been with the "kits" offered. Do they do the cooling job, do they have all the necessary parts included, how is the ease of installation. Thanks for the input.
Old 04-26-2006, 08:54 PM
jlucas
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Me too, I'm at 290 deg after 5 laps at MidOhio. I'm looking for the same info. Randy@DRM said that the external seperate cooler is good for about 30 deg and integrated Ron Davis rad is good for 40degs. LG says theirs rad requires no trimming.

Looking at the archives it looks like either will get the job done. Anyone ever tried both? pricing is very similar.

Anyone go for the power steering cooler addition? Mine was groaning really bad after 20 minute sessions.

Thanks for the input.
Jeremy Lucas
Fast Tech Limited
Old 04-26-2006, 09:01 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The DRM oil cooler setup works very well. It's a Setrab oil cooler. Braided lines with AN-10 fittings custom length. And a mounting bracket. I never got instructions, just some pictures from Randy. Instructions is not their strong point after installing DRM ducts and oil cooler.

But the oil cooler works very well! Visted Road Atlanta and VIR North with ambient temps in the 50-60deg range. I never saw 240 on the oil. Just sat around 235 every session. My coolant stayed at 200deg the whole time. I suspect 265 to be the peak during hot 80-90deg summer days.

I just took pictures of mine and plan on writing up instructions for install. Just give me a few days to get it done. Work is kinda busy right now. I'll start a new thread in here and have larger high res versions of the pics to email anyone who wants them. Phil just bought one and Ed is coming over to my house to look at mine this weekend. So a few people are interested where it makes it worth writing this up.

Graham
Old 04-26-2006, 09:08 PM
Maineiac
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06

I'll chime in....since I just installed a Ron Davis radiator w/ oil cooler 2 weeks ago in my Z06. First the unit is VERY high quality, and almost too nice to install. The installation procedure was pretty straight forward, and everything fit properly. I did it by myself, with the car on jackstands.

I ran a track event Monday at NHIS, and after a hard 25 min. session, my oil temp was 225, and coolant was 179. Outside air temp that day was about 50 degrees.

In the summertime, I was constantly seeing 300-310 oil temperatures and realized that I needed to do something.

I'm glad I chose the DRM unit.
Old 04-26-2006, 09:10 PM
freefall
Burning Brakes

The DRM oil cooler install is fairly straight forward - biggest headache is routing the lines. I saw about a 30 degree drop like most people here. If you go this route and need pics of anything, send me a pm and I'll shoot them.
Old 04-26-2006, 09:11 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Going 145 up the long straight at VIR! $125
Barreling full throttle down the start/finish straight at VIR! $150
Pedal to the metal through the Uphill Esses at VIR! $200

Doing it lap after lap with oil temps never above 260 degrees! Priceless!

Guys, if you are anxious about those oil temps, get yourself a cooler and keep your concentration 100% on driving and controlling that car.
Old 04-26-2006, 09:43 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Falcon
Going 145 up the long straight at VIR! $125
Barreling full throttle down the start/finish straight at VIR! $150
Pedal to the metal through the Uphill Esses at VIR! $200

Doing it lap after lap with oil temps never above 260 degrees! Priceless!

Guys, if you are anxious about those oil temps, get yourself a cooler and keep your concentration 100% on driving and controlling that car.

Yeah, but I am a cheap skate - DRM offer any discounts to us Track Ho's GW/BPKM Groupies?
Old 04-26-2006, 09:48 PM
Maineiac
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06

Originally Posted by varkwso
Yeah, but I am a cheap skate - DRM offer any discounts to us Track Ho's GW/BPKM Groupies?

Oil cooler is cheaper than a new motor....
Old 04-26-2006, 10:41 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by freefall
The DRM oil cooler install is fairly straight forward - biggest headache is routing the lines. I saw about a 30 degree drop like most people here. If you go this route and need pics of anything, send me a pm and I'll shoot them.
Yeah but instructions are always nice. Not that I always follow them... I agree on routing the lines. There is just enough room to get them in there but with the 90deg AN fittings it takes some wiggling to coax them through the side of the engine cradle. Then mounting the adapter with the lines attached is a little tight. But worth it at the end of the day.
Old 04-27-2006, 12:52 AM
Bob 33
Racer

I recently talked to a very senior GM expert on things Corvette and he seemed more concerned about trans and diff cooling than engine cooling. He said that during testing of the C5 oil temps reached 330 degrees, sometimes as high as 340 degrees, and that around 330 would probably not be a problem if fresh synthetic oil was used. I mention this becaue its contrary to what I would have thought and the wisdom shared on this forum. And 330 is very diff from the 300-305 that I have been worrying about and that I hit after about 10 min on the track, even in cool weather. Never-the-less, I have a DeWitte combo rad awaiting installation.

Bob 33
Old 04-27-2006, 06:31 AM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Bob 33
I recently talked to a very senior GM expert on things Corvette and he seemed more concerned about trans and diff cooling than engine cooling. He said that during testing of the C5 oil temps reached 330 degrees, sometimes as high as 340 degrees, and that around 330 would probably not be a problem if fresh synthetic oil was used. I mention this becaue its contrary to what I would have thought and the wisdom shared on this forum. And 330 is very diff from the 300-305 that I have been worrying about and that I hit after about 10 min on the track, even in cool weather. Never-the-less, I have a DeWitte combo rad awaiting installation.

Bob 33
The people that designed your engine (i.e.: GM's Powertrain Division) have set the high oil temp alarm at 320F in the C5Z. If they thought that it needed to be lower, they would have set it lower.

That said, lower temps are less stressful for the engine components. I never let mine go over 300F.
Old 04-27-2006, 08:11 AM
Rob's 73
Drifting

I just installed the Dewitt unit. Installation was straight forward. I haven't been to the track yet but sitting in traffic the water temp used to go to 225. On a 80 degree day it only went to 210 without fans running. Oil temps seem to warm a little quicker on cool mornings as well.
Old 04-27-2006, 06:52 PM
Phil Smith
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Graham,

We are working on the install this Saturday. Are you close to finishing the write-up? Also, can you send me your pix?

Thanks,

Phil
Old 04-27-2006, 07:37 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks for the info and feedback. I really would like to see any pictures of installs that anyone has taken. Either email them to me at CHJTOKEN@AOL.COM or post in the thread please. Does any one have any experience with the GMPP T-1 oil cooler kit?
Old 04-28-2006, 08:50 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Maineiac
Oil cooler is cheaper than a new motor....

I paid 15K for the 99 FRC (now with over 120,000 miles) and putting 10% (~$1500 for parts and shipping) just to cool it down? LS motors are plentiful and cheap - one reason I left Porsche behind me.

Now when the rad needs replacing or I can find a decent deal I will pony up - but $1500 for a 30 - 40 degree delta T. Sounds like gov't work.
Old 04-28-2006, 10:15 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

funny to see different opinions on here. I also read that GM did tons of testing in the desert in extreme hot weather without letting the car cool down and it passed their internal tests.

On the other hand I cant believe that running at 300 oil temps is good for the engine even with putting in a something higher than 30 weight oil (I assume everyone on the track is not using 5-30).

I have already scheduled to have the tranny cooler in and have been back and forth with the oil cooler.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:38 PM
Umrswimr
Team Owner

Location: Overwhelmed as one would be, placed in my position.... DFW, TX
St. Jude Donor '05

Send a PM to vettedrmr. He wrote a really nice document with all the details, pictures, and parts required. Oil temps used to be over 300 degrees with R-compounds. Now they run 265-275.

Get notified of new replies

To Engine Oil Cooler Info Needed - Your Experience Please ??

Old 04-28-2006, 01:03 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,397 Likes on 749 Posts

Here's the link to where the oil install guide is. I've also added a section at the end (sorry I didn't PM you on this, UMR) to add an oil cooler cover for daily driving:

http://webpages.charter.net/VetteDrmr/

Cost is around $500 total.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 04-28-2006, 02:10 PM
Umrswimr
Team Owner

Location: Overwhelmed as one would be, placed in my position.... DFW, TX
St. Jude Donor '05

Nice work on the cover! That's pretty slick!
Old 04-28-2006, 04:22 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

My results may vary do to my A4 tranny with a torque converter. Dewitts with internal EOC and external tranny cooler.

Five, 30 min. sessions. Ambient was high 70's. Highest temps at end of last session:

Oil.......... 270
Coolant... 225
Tranny......225

DH

Quick Reply: Engine Oil Cooler Info Needed - Your Experience Please ??