Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oversteer

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 05:42 PM
The Bus
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oversteer

If the back is loose and the front is sticking what tire pressure adjustment will help. More or less air in the back or air adjustment in the front. Using Goodyear racing slicks.
Old 04-24-2006, 05:50 PM
joemoia
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The Bus
If the back is loose and the front is sticking what tire pressure adjustment will help. More or less air in the back or air adjustment in the front. Using Goodyear racing slicks.
http://www.rallylights.com/other/stuning.htm
Old 04-24-2006, 06:00 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by The Bus
I struggled with my car over-steering the past few weekends out running both Hoosier VRLs and Hoosier RS304s. I had this problem at Streets of Willow, California Speedway and the first three sessions at Spring Mountain this weekend.

I finally bumped my tire pressures up in the back from 34 PSI to 36 PSI. I kept the front at a starting cold pressure of 36 PSI and now the car is handling great again.

In the cooler weather we have been having here (cloudy and cool) I just wasn't getting up to the hot temps of 43-44 like usual and the handling suffered.
Old 04-24-2006, 06:16 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,394 Likes on 747 Posts

Totally depends on tire size, tire temps, driving style, etc. I've seen only minor changes due to tire pressure (probably less than the deviations in my driving!)

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 04-24-2006, 06:35 PM
The Bus
Pro

Thanks for the information
Old 04-24-2006, 06:45 PM
RedHotBolt
Pro

I run VRL scuffs and start at 28 psi cold. I was told by a professional driver "no way should I start with anything above 29 PSI".

Jerry
Old 04-24-2006, 08:15 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Not many folks tune oversteer and understeer with tire pressures anymore.... You want to have the tire pressures optimized for the load and the camber that is on them, and not run more or less pressure than the optimum for grip. Generally lower pressures increase slip angle at that end of the car, and increasing pressure in the rear might help some small amount... but...

If you have too much oversteer, it is generally better to stiffen the front bar (or just add poly bushings that will stiffen it a noticable amount), or soften the rear bar....

Do a reality check on your rear ride height.. with stock shocks you can bottom and that can cause oversteer big time....

Another option is to increase rear toe-in, but this is a band aid, and shouldn't be necessary unless something else isn't right...

lastly, what tire sizes are you running... If you are running equal sizes all around on a stock springs and shocks, that will likely create oversteer, so you might want to rethink your tire sizes.
Old 04-24-2006, 09:54 PM
GreekPT
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This might be overkill but it may help some folks too:http://www.turnzero.com/technical_re...mics_assistant

Good luck,
Phil
Old 04-25-2006, 11:09 AM
jmautox
Instructor

First thing to check is the alignment.

You may have too little negative camber in the rear, too much up front, or not enough toe in at the rear.
Old 04-25-2006, 01:02 PM
astock165
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Solofast
If you are running equal sizes all around on a stock springs and shocks, that will likely create oversteer, so you might want to rethink your tire sizes.
Is that why the square setup was only put on the Z07 packages for the C4?

Last year I ran a square setup on my FE1 coupe with V710s and oversteer was a huge problem.
Old 04-25-2006, 04:37 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

The FE1 was softer all around, but was tuned for the smaller front tires so my guess is that putting a square set of tires on it could give you an oversteer problem.

I would be looking at a bigger front bar in that case or at least poly bushings to get some more front roll stiffness in there and get it balanced... Or actually just go to a set of Z07 bars and springs and life will be better overall...

Get notified of new replies

To Oversteer

Quick Reply: Oversteer