Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any reason NOT to run 335's on the rear?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 03:54 PM
RedHotBolt
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any reason NOT to run 335's on the rear?

At the last event I went to I corded a rear tire. Bobby Archer mistakenly mounted two 335/30/18's instead of the 305's I normally run. Since I was going to miss a session so I put them on and even though there was almost no clearence between the tire and fender I ran two sessions without a problem other than the rubber left on the edge of the fender. Is it okay to run these tires or should I have them replaced with 305's? I don't want to tear up a fender. I will be at MSR Houston this weekend so I need a quick reply.

Jerry
Old 04-24-2006, 04:56 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,394 Likes on 747 Posts

"The rubber left on the fender?" Is that where the tire is rubbing, or just thrown pieces?

335s definitely stick out, so if the cornering loads get high enough at MSR Houston they could contact the fender lip. Don't know how much (if any) you've got your car lowered; that'll definitely aggravate the situation.

I've got a friend that ran 335s on the rear, and he had a hard time getting the front to turn (running 275 fronts at the time). He's gone back to 315s in the back and is much happier.

I'd get them replaced, if it was me, but if BA is going to make you pay for both sets the choice gets tougher.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 04-24-2006, 05:20 PM
emf
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Depending on wheel backspace, you'll probably rub on both inner fender lining, as well as outside edge of the fender. As mentioned above, ride height is a factor . . . camber is as well. Depending on compound, and what you're running up front . . . yes, you could be over-tire'd as well.

That said, I've run 335's / 12.5" slicks for a bit w/o too much tragedy -- it depends on the wheels, for a good part.

What wheels are you using? What sized fronts? Is the car lowered?
Old 04-24-2006, 05:28 PM
RedHotBolt
Pro

The rubber it left came off the sidewall of the tire. I tape my fender openings to help protect them and it cut the tape. I can't see MSR Houston putting more load on the car than turn one (coming off the banking) and turn two (very high speed left hander) at TWS or for sure turn seven with all it's artificial downforce? But I do not want to take a chance. The car has never been lowered.......it's too hard to get in and out of at stock height when you are old and fat like me.

J
Old 04-24-2006, 05:29 PM
RedHotBolt
Pro

Originally Posted by emf
Depending on wheel backspace, you'll probably rub on both inner fender lining, as well as outside edge of the fender. As mentioned above, ride height is a factor . . . camber is as well. Depending on compound, and what you're running up front . . . yes, you could be over-tire'd as well.

That said, I've run 335's / 12.5" slicks for a bit w/o too much tragedy -- it depends on the wheels, for a good part.

What wheels are you using? What sized fronts? Is the car lowered?
I'm running 305/30/18's on the front. They are take-offs from the VRL series. Stock ride height.

J
Old 04-24-2006, 05:33 PM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The few C5s I've seen running 335s all have the rear fender lip cracked. Seems innevitable with that setup, without either tubbing the rear or moving the fender out. Your choice.
Old 04-24-2006, 06:45 PM
gmblack3
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ran the 335/17s last year for VIR and Sebring w/ a spacer. I guess the1" diff was enough as they never rubbed. They did stick out.

The new owner has the 335/18s from VRL, but they are mounted on a 12"wheel with better offset. We will know after this w/e how this setup works.
Old 04-24-2006, 07:53 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I run the equivalant of 335 in slicks. I have a stiff suspension the rear is OK but I did ruin a few tires by cording the fronts on the fenders. If they are rubbing the will cut the fenders and ruin the tires fairly fast.

Get notified of new replies

To Any reason NOT to run 335's on the rear?

Quick Reply: Any reason NOT to run 335's on the rear?