Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

redline trans and diff fluid:

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 03:06 PM
Red Gump
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default redline trans and diff fluid:

I need to change out the fluids in my '97. from what I've read/heard, I need 3 quarts of d4 atf and 2 quarts of 75w90, but that comes with or without additive. is the additive a "better be safe than sorry" thing or if I run it will it screw things up?
Old 04-24-2006, 03:16 PM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

for the MN6/12 it's a little more than 3.5qts. (3.6 i think) so you actually need 4 quarts

I'm not sure exactly what the additive does, but if you don't use it, the diff will make a lot of noise and that can't be good.
Old 04-24-2006, 04:06 PM
Red Gump
Race Director

anyone know what specific fluids I need to buy if I go the amsoil route?
Old 04-24-2006, 06:52 PM
gmblack3
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gump, get the severe gear for the diff you will need 2 of those.

ATF 4 of these

Make sure the car is level and do not overfill the diff. If you overfill it will come out the bleed port on the left top side, expecially on the track.

I never ran the additive with the amsoil and never had a problem. It will not hurt to runt he additive so I would just do it. the diff takes 1.6qts so if you use the additive it will be less the 1.5.

Tranny will take about 3.25. Hold the pan right up against the tranny as if you leave the pan on the floor the fluid will go into the pan and back out all over the floor. Been there done that.

Always remove the fill ports first.
Old 04-24-2006, 09:22 PM
Red Gump
Race Director

woosch mentioned this:
https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/mtf.aspx

are you saying the stuff you recommended is better or is the only option? will what I listed above work if the local guy doesn't have what you listed?
Old 04-24-2006, 09:35 PM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

FYI,

I have used Royal Purple in 4 track/street cars and it seems to work as well as any other synthetic.
Tranny 3.5 so 4 quarts
Diff about 1 3/4 so 2 quarts.

I know that with Royal Purple you don't need additive, it's already added. But I think that with almost any synthetic gear lube you will see that you won't need to add additve. I use the Max Gear 75w140 gear lube for the rear-end and the Syncromax tranny fluid.

Again this is just what I've used and it seems to work well, not to hi-jack the thread.
Old 04-24-2006, 09:52 PM
Red Gump
Race Director

Originally Posted by 96CollectorSport
FYI,

I have used Royal Purple in 4 track/street cars and it seems to work as well as any other synthetic.
Tranny 3.5 so 4 quarts
Diff about 1 3/4 so 2 quarts.

I know that with Royal Purple you don't need additive, it's already added. But I think that with almost any synthetic gear lube you will see that you won't need to add additve. I use the Max Gear 75w140 gear lube for the rear-end and the Syncromax tranny fluid.

Again this is just what I've used and it seems to work well, not to hi-jack the thread.
no problemo, I appreciate the input. no purple local though. I'm in a crunch to get the car prepped for saturday, gotta give them vipers a respectable run.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:55 PM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Gump
anyone know what specific fluids I need to buy if I go the amsoil route?
The AMSOIL ATF is labeled to meet GM Dexron III standards for the C5 and is what I've been using in my car for several seasons now. The AMSOIL Synthetic Synchromesh Transmission Fluid (5w30) was designed for tranny such as that found in the C4.

For the diff, the proper product for the C5 is: AMSOIL Severe Gear Extreme Pressure Synthetic 75w90 and again I've been running this in my Z06 for several seasons now.

Ordering info is in my sig. Any orders placed via the AMSOIL Online Store using reference 1206638 will benefit my dealership and the forum. Products ordered this way will be shipped direct to your house from the nearest AMSOIL Distribution Center (there are 11 around the country) and usually arrive a few days after you order.

FYI, there is a distribution center in Orlando and if you order early tomorrow you'll likely get your product by Thursday.

C66 Racing #66 NASA ST2, SCCA T2
AMSOIL Dealer (Forum Vendor)
AMSOIL Ordering Information (Retail sales using reference #1206638 benefit the forum.)
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (Members buy at Wholesale - a savings of about 25%)
AMSOIL Catalog

Old 04-25-2006, 11:12 AM
gpm30236
Racer

Tranny jack under the lift to hold the drain pain, doesn't make a mess, and gives you a couple of free hands. silver has new redline diff fluid and RP tranny fluid. ready for sebring on the weekend.
Old 04-25-2006, 04:04 PM
FasterIsBetter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Red Line 75W90 is a hypoid gear oil. It already has limited slip differential modifiers in it. You should not add any additional GM limited slip modifier. The Red Line D4 ATF is the right stuff for the transmission, no additives needed.

When buying the Red Line gear oil, be sure you get 75W90... NOT 75W90NS. The NS is intended for tranmissions, not differentials. The 75W90 is what you want. I have the Red Line oils in my '03 Z06 and like the way they perform. All the major brands mentioned are pretty much comparable, IMHO. I happen to like the Red Line stuff and use it in all my sports cars.

Old 04-25-2006, 08:50 PM
01C5fan
Racer

fwiw- I've used Redline in the diff and tranny for years and many track hours. It doesn't need the GM additive and doesn't make the diff noisy. I believe that all the premium lubes are of similar quality, but of course everybody has their favorite.
Old 04-26-2006, 08:24 PM
Red Gump
Race Director

ok guys, slight situation, or maybe not. used amsoil synchro mesh and extreme gear but trans. and diff took less than I thought.

trans took about 3.25 qts and diff took less than 1.5. did I have the car tilted or something? I left the drain plugs open till they stopped and filled till it trickled out.

slight issue: didn't push it last night but just now went for a drive around the block and pushed it a little. getting abnormal (to me) vibration starting around 4700 rpm and clearing up around 5300. is it the synchro mesh or is it low? would being short .5 qts create vibration? I can feel it in my seat.
Old 04-26-2006, 09:10 PM
gmblack3
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Gump
ok guys, slight situation, or maybe not. used amsoil synchro mesh and extreme gear but trans. and diff took less than I thought.

trans took about 3.25 qts and diff took less than 1.5. did I have the car tilted or something? I left the drain plugs open till they stopped and filled till it trickled out.

slight issue: didn't push it last night but just now went for a drive around the block and pushed it a little. getting abnormal (to me) vibration starting around 4700 rpm and clearing up around 5300. is it the synchro mesh or is it low? would being short .5 qts create vibration? I can feel it in my seat.
Gump, Is that a new diff?

Get it back on a lift and recheck the diff level.

The diff only holds 1.6 (if I remember right)
Old 04-28-2006, 11:12 PM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

ttt
Old 04-29-2006, 12:42 AM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Red Gump,
At my last race last year I lost the left axle seal on the diff on lap 6 of a 26 lap race and finished the race with less than a quart of diff fluid. Though the diff was cooked due to heat from the low fluid level, there was never any vibration. I doubt using synchromesh vice ATF would cause vibration either.

Have you changed anything mechanical recently (e.g. is this a new diff, tranny or clutch)?

The diff spec is 1.69 quarts I believe so I would ensure the car is level and check the fluid level in the diff to make sure it is full.

Get notified of new replies

To redline trans and diff fluid:

Quick Reply: redline trans and diff fluid: