Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

metric and standard (fractional) sockets and wrenches

Old 04-24-2006, 02:56 PM
sdef
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '10

Default metric and standard (fractional) sockets and wrenches

does the c5 have any bolts that are standard (i.e. 9/16) or is everything metric sized?

I do not want to bring anything more to the track that I do not really need.

Does the c5 have any special tools other than a torx T55 socket?
Old 04-25-2006, 01:59 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,915 Likes on 5,326 Posts

Everything I know of is metric although I use a 5/8" on either the front or rear brake guide pin bolts. I am not sure if 5/8 crosses directly over to a metric size like 3/4 does to 19 mm but I do not have a complete set of metric sizes. Most of the sets skip a few of the less used sizes and some times an english size will come to the rescue. You will probably need an 18 mm combo wrench as well as a 22 mm socket.
Bill
Old 04-25-2006, 07:49 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

Everything is metric on C5's and up. C4's are a mix of both. You will need a set of Torx bits as well, there are many Torx head fasteners from small sizes on the fenders headlights, etc to T-47 for the seat belts, T-55 for the wheel bearings.
Old 04-25-2006, 11:58 AM
gmblack3
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

18mm is one that you might want to be sure is in your track kit. Some tool kits don't have it. The bolts on the C5 rear spring use a 18mm and I'm sure there are a few other places.

34mm big socket is required if you ever need to remove the large nuts on the rear hub. I think I got an impact version of that one on ebay. You will not find it many other places. Sears does not carry it, at least in the stores and none of the autoparts places have it either for sale. You might be able to get it as a loaner tool from advanced or autozone I think.

Last edited by gmblack3; 04-25-2006 at 12:00 PM.
Old 04-28-2006, 09:12 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by gmblack3
18mm is one that you might want to be sure is in your track kit. Some tool kits don't have it. The bolts on the C5 rear spring use a 18mm and I'm sure there are a few other places.

34mm big socket is required if you ever need to remove the large nuts on the rear hub. I think I got an impact version of that one on ebay. You will not find it many other places. Sears does not carry it, at least in the stores and none of the autoparts places have it either for sale. You might be able to get it as a loaner tool from advanced or autozone I think.
NAPA had a cheap 34 MM for ten buck or something close so it is not high quality but it worked. You can also use fractional which was 1-5/16

Get notified of new replies

To metric and standard (fractional) sockets and wrenches

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: metric and standard (fractional) sockets and wrenches