Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Autocross Tire Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 01:38 PM
ZO6Pilot
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Autocross Tire Help

I am seeking recommendations for the best autocross tire for dry conditions that I can drive to the event in a Z06. I'd have to drive on these for up to 100 miles each way to an event in dry conditions. My plan is to put these on a spare set of wheels, and keep my daily drivers on another set. I'd also keep the daily drivers on (F1 Supercars) for running wet weather autocrosses. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Doug
Old 04-23-2006, 04:45 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Driving 100 miles, you're just going to have to use another set of street tires. Firestone Wide Ovals are good and cheap. Kumho MXs too. Michelin Pilot Sports are some of the best, but damn pricey. I wouldn't drive that far an anything softer. I'm only 30miles from the track, and I use this to get my tires there:
Old 04-23-2006, 06:03 PM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

I drive on Kumho V710's 60 miles each way. I get 150 runs, plus about 14 drives on them. Now if that's not for you, I would get Toyo RA1's. If you had them shaved down, they would make a great alternative to the Kumho tires. I drive on these all the time.

Steve
Old 04-23-2006, 09:32 PM
ZO6Pilot
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks very much for the replies. I'd love to have a trailer so I could get some serious autox tires, but that's even more bucks. I think I may look at some Kumhos for the time being.

Doug
Old 04-24-2006, 06:08 PM
provette67
Le Mans Master

Received 705 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by ZO6Pilot
Thanks very much for the replies. I'd love to have a trailer so I could get some serious autox tires, but that's even more bucks. I think I may look at some Kumhos for the time being.

Doug
Do not think about driving on the V710's on the highway in the rain.I see that you are in Virginia.MoutainBiker is in California and everybody knows that it nevers rains there
Old 04-24-2006, 06:25 PM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by provette67
Do not think about driving on the V710's on the highway in the rain.I see that you are in Virginia.MoutainBiker is in California and everybody knows that it nevers rains there
This is almost true. It rained one time and that one time I was on my 710's. Scary ride, but got it home safely. 50mph on the freeway.

Steve

Get notified of new replies

To Autocross Tire Help

Quick Reply: Autocross Tire Help