Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Helmet Info

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 08:17 AM
NoWay
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need Helmet Info

Looking to purchase a SA2005 helmet for roadracing and maybe some autocross. I understand the need for a good fit: snug but not too tight or too loose. It seems to me to do this right the first time one would need to walk-in to a retail outlet for these helmets. However, all I find is mail-order houses. What to do to get it right? Experienced racers pls chime in. Also do I go close face or open face? I prefer open face but it seems this is all about protection and closed seems to be the obvious choice. Am I missing something? Thanks.
Old 04-23-2006, 08:50 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Most of the helmet makers will have a chart that shows a cross-reference for helmet to your hat size or a chart that shows a measurement of the circumferance of your head just above the ears to a helmet size.

Not all helmet makers use the same sizing when it comes to hat size. Fore example, a Bell helmet in a 7 3/4 hat size is not quite the same as a Simpson in the same size.

If you enter an autocross event, most of them wil have loaner helmets or you can ask somebody to simply try on their helmet to get an idea of the correct size.

Also visit a motorcycle/ATV shop. Big shops will have a wide variety of helmets and may even have some automotive helmets. They should also have people who can help you get measured properly. Ask if they can order a helmet and guarantee the fit.

Open or closed face is IMHO, a matter of choice. If you will be in an open car (or a coupe with the windows down) then a full-face may work better. Some full face helmets may be an issue if you wear glasses but that depends on the specific helmet design. Some people find that vision to the sides is restricted with a full face design but again helmet design plays a part there.

I wear a Bell Mag-5 open face as I wear glasses and it slips on easily without my having to remove my glasses. I can also change to sunglasses once the helmet is on.
Old 04-23-2006, 08:58 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

My parents spent alot of money on Orthodonture for me, so I can't see an open face helmet. A Kevlar helmet like a Bell M3 is hard to beat with the light weight and penetration resistance. Bell's also come in hat sizes in 1/8 increments. When it comes to helmets, I do not even consider cost as even part of the decision. As the very old saying goes, if you have a $10 head get a $10 helmet...
Old 04-23-2006, 09:11 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Rember a SA2005 not an M 2005. or any helmet that says "exceeds Snell ratings"

I have a G force full face. I also ware glasses. I just take the glasses off to put the head sock and helmet on. Then slip my glasses though the eye port.

Too many track turds and other hard chit that flys into your drivers window that has bounced off my chin garud. Even had my drivers side mirror bounce off my chin gard when I went into a tire wall in the rain.

wiped off many many dead bugs off the chin guard too, which could have been fast food for me without the chin gaurd.
Old 04-23-2006, 06:54 PM
CrvtBB
Melting Slicks

Received 133 Likes on 76 Posts

I have a Bell M3 and it is VERY comfortable and cooler than the Simpson I had. Good helmet for the money and made in the USA!!!
Old 04-24-2006, 08:51 PM
YorkL8apex
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After using a n open face for a few years I just bought a full face Bell M3. Very comfortable, and with the larger eye opening does not cause any vision probs for me. Plenty of vents so I think it will be cool enough when summer gets here

Last edited by YorkL8apex; 04-24-2006 at 08:58 PM.
Old 04-24-2006, 09:38 PM
larryfs
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

I just splurged for an ARAI SA05
Old 04-25-2006, 01:53 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Try and find a circle track race shop in your area. In my area we have one part time store that supplies all of the circle track racers in the area through the store or through the trailers he sends out to each track on race nights. They usually have good prices because their customers are all working on shoe strings and they know what works and doesn't work. Also a good place to pick up such things as harnesses, ductwork, braided hose, Wilwood brake parts and fluid. When you need good info some times its better to work with somebody who you can visit in person Vs talking over the phone before you buy something.
Bill
Old 04-25-2006, 10:58 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

it might not be 100% cost effective, but when you order from a mail order place order 2 sizes or different types.

For my suit I ordered 4 different types and returned the 3 that didnt fit right.

BTW

I used the chart for my G-force and was lucky that the helmet fit perfectly.
Old 05-06-2006, 04:58 PM
forhamilton
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I purchased an Impact helmet and I like it very much. Very comfortable and breathes well.

Get notified of new replies

To Need Helmet Info

Quick Reply: Need Helmet Info