Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

While servicing my torque tube...

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 07:50 AM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default While servicing my torque tube...

I found that there is play in the input shaft bearing on the front of the torque tube. So now I'm trying to locate one, since I didn't have one... Plenty of rears, but they have zero play and make zero noise... The front is the issue... But a couple of other things I noticed... The pilot bearing got hammered when the front coupler died. Thank god I didn't ignore the hesitation I was feeling... Also, the aluminum coupler I was using (Pulled it off and will sell it) had some runout... I suspect this was why the front bearing gave up on my. I don't run my motor above 6000RPMs, never have, so all I can think is that the aluminum coupler being out of round would have caused this. So I remember that I have a brake laith... I chock this coupler up on it, and sure enough, my eyes aren't playing tricks on me... Its got run out bigtime!

What I specificially remember when I ordered that unit from the vendor (name withheld), was that they specifically said they were all "zero'ed in"... Uh, NO.

So I've gotten a pair of factory replacement couplers and installed them on the ACPT carbon shaft I have, and I'm ready to reinstall it all, but that front bearing is hanging me up. I have the part number for the replacement... Who do you guys recommend for quick service on bearings? I need to get one overnighted, and then need to spend some quality time with my bearing press...

Mike
Old 04-23-2006, 09:02 AM
Roadrace65
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Mike,
The bearings in the drive shaft assembly are off the shelf items at any bearing supplier. Norfolk Bearing here in Norfolk has them in stock. If you need help with the install I’d be more than willing if you don’t mind making the trip down here.…or…ship the input and output shafts to me and Ill tear’em down and rebuild them

Last edited by Roadrace65; 04-23-2006 at 09:04 AM.
Old 04-26-2006, 07:08 PM
Roadrace65
Pro

Hey Mike, Your parts are on the way Back DHL...
Old 04-27-2006, 07:43 AM
0ATI Performance
Former Vendor

When using solid aluminum couplers, the entire driveshaft assembly MUST be balanced and any runout compensated. You can't just bolt them in (even though it seems like it). Otherwise you WILL have bearing failures over time. The reason is that the OEM tolerances on the driveshaft parts are poor (since they only bolt to rubber couplers). Using a single solid coupler which I have heard some guys do might be worse than using none since it will over-stress the remaining rubber coupler due to the imbalance caused by the single solid coupler.
Old 04-27-2006, 08:54 AM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

You guys at ATI are 100% correct. I choked my aluminum coupler up on my brake laithe, mic'ed it, and found about eighty thousandths runout... That's HUGE!

I've gone BACK to twin OEM factory couplers with the ACPT carbon shaft and all new bearings. Hope this stops any future issues...

Mike
Old 04-27-2006, 10:47 PM
Roadrace65
Pro

Hey Mike..I see you got your parts...DHL Rocks!

Get notified of new replies

To While servicing my torque tube...

Quick Reply: While servicing my torque tube...