Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

One Lap of America

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 01:51 PM
RogueVette
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default One Lap of America

We are just two weeks from opening day registration for the One Lap.

Every year I have a chance to meet more and more forum people. Both doing the Lap and going to watch.

This year we have one of our own who is at least in my eyes a Favorite to win it. Mr. RAFTRACER himself...Danny Popp. Some pretty healthy competition again this year. Adee is in a Carbon Fiber Bodied 96 Viper with Twin Turbos, an electronics system that costs as much as some Kentucky homes, and a built up Chevy motor (As it should be ). DeVia is Back is his overblown 996TT, Smith is Driving a Hennesey TT Viper. 3 Nobles are entered this year so well see how the Vette's stack up against them.

This year looks like we have 8 Corvette's. 7 C5's and 1 C4. Also have two Ultima's one LS1 powered and one LS6 with H/C/I/E etc...powered. As well as one 280Z with a 350 and a Porsche 944 with an LT1.

Anyway just wondering if any of the other Vette racers besides myself and Danny are on here, and see if anyone is expecting to stop by the tracks to see us. It's pretty cool because many tracks give unlimited access to the event. At IRP in the past for instance you could be lined up on the wall going down the front straight. Literaly inches from the cars.

This year

Saturday May 6th -

Tire Rack in Southbend Indiana for a Wet Skidpad
Then Autobahn in Joliet Illinois.

Sunday May 7th -

Mid-America motorsports park in Pacific Junction Iowa

Monday May 8th

No Problem raceway outside Baton Rouge La.

Tuesday May 9th

Roebling Road raceway outside Savannah GA. Daytime
Florence Motorspeedway Oval in Florence SC under the lights

Wednesday May 10th

VIR in Alton Virginia

Thursday May 11th

Putnam Park about 45 minutes outside Indianapolis IN.
Rt. 41 Dragway about an hour south of Chicago In Indiana starting about 7pm

Friday May 12th

Road America in Elkhart Lake Wisconsin

Saturday May 13th

Tire Rack for a dry skidpad in Southbend In.

Followed by the awards banquet.

Every year the BMW Club has a large turnout at each event to support their guys. Last year the Superformance team had a group no smaller then 10 cars at each and every event to cheer,wrench,BS with their guys. Love to see as many Vette people out as possible.
Old 04-21-2006, 02:41 PM
94ZR1#444
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Aquaman,

I'll definitely try to make VIR 11May06 and hopefully bring a bunch of other Corvette guys along.

Is there a website site that has the details of what time(s) these events happen?

Thanks

Mark
Old 04-21-2006, 03:40 PM
RogueVette
Safety Car

Cruise-In III Veteran

Originally Posted by 94ZR1#444
Aquaman,

I'll definitely try to make VIR 11May06 and hopefully bring a bunch of other Corvette guys along.

Is there a website site that has the details of what time(s) these events happen?

Thanks

Mark
Mark,

Thanks it would be great to have you out. Always nice to have fellow Vetters around.

this link has a slightly more detailed schedule

http://www.onelapofamerica.com/histo...e.shtml?y=2006
Old 04-21-2006, 04:01 PM
freefall
Burning Brakes

I put the VIR date on my calendar. If I'm in town, I'll be up there.
Old 04-21-2006, 04:39 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

One of the Ultima guys rented Roebling Road the other day in hopes of sorting out his car. I don't know how that worked out. I met him at Roebing in November & January.

I met one of the Noble drivers at Roebling in January. He's been all over the country practicing for this.

You guys have my admiration for your endurance and tenacity.

I'll try to get to VIR with mark and the other guys. It'll be a hoot watching you guys!

Good luck!
Old 04-21-2006, 04:58 PM
Lawdogg
Safety Car

Received 210 Likes on 91 Posts

Good luck Jeremy. Clear out the leos for the lappers behind you like you do every year. Enjoy!
Old 04-21-2006, 07:01 PM
see5
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

See you at RA. Glad your back in WI.
I hope you have a bit less aqua than RA 03

http://www.onelapofamerica.com/histo...e.shtml?y=2006

Last edited by see5; 04-21-2006 at 09:29 PM.
Old 04-21-2006, 07:10 PM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

I'll also see you at Road America, tell any of the other Vette guys that if they need anything for there cars when you come to RA that our shop is only 15 miles from the track. And I would be more than happy to help with any car that would be injured.
But I'm taking off to be at the track in the a.m. so I'll see ya there.

Joel
Old 04-21-2006, 08:03 PM
rasrboy
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Wish I was running again. I last ran in 2002 in a tube chassis Grandsport Replica and came in 2nd overall. It is truely a blast and very tough competition out there. Danny will do just fine.

Here is what I ran, but I have not had any luck finding someone to do it again with.

Aaron Quine AKA (Racerboy)

Old 04-21-2006, 09:09 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Can't wait to start hearing the stories.
Old 04-21-2006, 09:15 PM
Z06 Silver Bullet
Racer

So Jody, when are we doing the team One-lap??

You game??
Old 04-21-2006, 10:32 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

These last two weeks are going to be very busy, probably make the OLOA hopefully seem like a vacation. Really hope the new ride gets done in time, there is still alot to do. This has been a crazy project from the get go. I believe the car was purchased the first week of February, and it has come a long way in a short period of time. Still have alot of power and handling improvements to make yet, but the car will be very safe (thanks Bob & ATI P.E., the roll cage is AWESOME !!!!). We wont be carrying the most power in the bunch by a long shot, but we should have a very balanced car, alot like Jerry Onks' car that we drove and suprised people with last year (except that it will be the right color )
Look forward to meeting those of you who show up at the events, please bring your Corvettes and only be leary if Jeremy or I start walking towards your cars with tools and look like this . Hopefully none of our Corvettes will require any of that type of activity, but you never know.
See ya'll during the Lap.......I'll be the one leaving really long corner exit black marks
Old 04-21-2006, 10:36 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by rasrboy
Wish I was running again. I last ran in 2002 in a tube chassis Grandsport Replica and came in 2nd overall. It is truely a blast and very tough competition out there. Danny will do just fine.

Here is what I ran, but I have not had any luck finding someone to do it again with.

Aaron Quine AKA (Racerboy)

Aaron,
It was awesome watching you drive Mike's car that year, you had my vote big-time on the sheek factor with that ride.........That thing had BIG power.
Old 04-21-2006, 11:02 PM
provette67
Le Mans Master

Received 705 Likes on 383 Posts

[QUOTE=RAFTRACER]These last two weeks are going to be very busy, probably make the OLOA hopefully seem like a vacation. Really hope the new ride gets done in time, there is still alot to do.

HEY get off your computer and finish that 1 LAP car so you kick some Porsche a$$
Old 04-23-2006, 07:09 PM
CrvtBB
Melting Slicks

Received 133 Likes on 76 Posts

Aquaman,

I am going to be doing the One Lap in 2007 with my Dad. I'm starting to get my 96 LT-4 set-up now. I'm just doing it to have fun and for the experience, so I'm not looking to be competitive with the high dollar folks. It's basically just a nice, slightly modified C4 and I just want to make sure it is prepared and safe enough to make the whole trip.

That being said, any advice for a newbe for critical must-haves either installed or for carry-along gear?

Here's where I stand:

C5 brake upgrade - just completed
R&D Cross-Frame
R&D Camber Brace
R&D Cross-Bar
Corsa Exhaust
Hurst shifter
ZZ9 Cam
4.10 gears
K&N open air cleaner

It's a 43K original mile car and is in excellent condition; runs very strong. I plan on installing a harness and getting a new ECM tune, but other than that and the obligatory tires, I wasn't planning on any other big upgrades.

Any advice you can provide is greatly appreciated.
Old 04-23-2006, 09:24 PM
ACAR
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by CrvtBB
Any advice you can provide is greatly appreciated.
I'll step in here for Aquaman, the best prep for a One Lap is...seat time, followed by more seat time, and then even more seat time. If you have an American Express card with an unlimited credit line, that could come in handy as well. Make sure you get along well with your co-driver, you will be living in very close proximity with him/her for 8+days. Learn to sleep sitting in a chair. If your car is fast, that is a plus, but if you have to pick between fast and reliable, choose reliable.

Good Luck to all the participants this year, I will be with you in spirit.
Old 04-26-2006, 09:39 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hope to be there at Roebling on the 9th - expected times there would be a real plus....

Get notified of new replies

To One Lap of America

Old 04-26-2006, 10:19 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by varkwso
I hope to be there at Roebling on the 9th - expected times there would be a real plus....
Check the website www.onelapofamerica.com . There is an event start time , we have to be there by then. Probably 8:00-9:00 am. Look forward to meeting you there.
Back to work still not done with car yet
Old 04-27-2006, 08:28 AM
Bink
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by RAFTRACER
Check the website www.onelapofamerica.com . There is an event start time , we have to be there by then. Probably 8:00-9:00 am. Look forward to meeting you there.
Back to work still not done with car yet
Who's posting 1Lap daily updates this year...for the Vette guys and Gals???
Old 04-27-2006, 08:34 AM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Bink
Who's posting 1Lap daily updates this year...for the Vette guys and Gals???
They should also be posted daily on the website under 2006 results.

Quick Reply: One Lap of America