Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interesting shock setup

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 12:44 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

Default Interesting shock setup

One way to get rid on unsprung weight in a tight package!
Old 04-21-2006, 01:02 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

OK Brian, I'll bite. Is that photoshopped? From what I see, it's completely unnecessary unsprung weight, because it's a closed loop. The coil spring unit doesn't do any springing, or anything else, cause it can't move horizontally (as it's plumbed). and it does nothing for vertical movement?
Old 04-21-2006, 01:20 PM
Don Keefhardt
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

'Rocker arm suspension'. Been around for years and years in the formula car world, cuz it saves space and moves heavy-ish components inboard (out of the airstream). You need to see it from a different angle to see how the movement in the a-arms gets transmitted to the rocker, then the shock & spring package. Those arms aren't all on the same axis.
Old 04-21-2006, 02:31 PM
jmautox
Instructor

Originally Posted by Don Keefhardt
'Rocker arm suspension'. Been around for years and years in the formula car world, cuz it saves space and moves heavy-ish components inboard (out of the airstream). You need to see it from a different angle to see how the movement in the a-arms gets transmitted to the rocker, then the shock & spring package. Those arms aren't all on the same axis.
Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but normally the other sided of the shock is tucked away in the engine bay and attached to the frame, not to the front of the very pushrod that actuates it.

This looks retarded to me as is, not sure what the motivation is or how it would behave. Anyone know?
Old 04-21-2006, 02:53 PM
Don Keefhardt
Racer

Lee Stohr (I think that's where the original poster found the image - he posted a link to Stohr's web site) is probably the most gifted designer of small-bore sports racers in North America right now. Among other things, they've won SCCA Nat'l Championships in 'D Sports Racer' for the past few seasons. He might be many things, but he ain't 'retarded'. No...I don't know him and I don't have a Stohr chassis (I race in another sports racer class), but I have two friends who run his chassis'...and they're pretty tasty pieces.

As I stated before, the image used doesn't give a clear view of the geometry of the suspension, and how the linkage is connected.
Old 04-21-2006, 02:54 PM
jmautox
Instructor

When I say "it looks retarded to me" I'm more indicating my own retardation since I don't understand it.

=)

Originally Posted by Don Keefhardt
Lee Stohr (I think that's where the original poster found the image - he posted a link to Stohr's web site) is probably the most gifted designer of small-bore sports racers in North America right now. Among other things, they've won SCCA Nat'l Championships in 'D Sports Racer' for the past few seasons. He might be many things, but he ain't 'retarded'. No...I don't know him and I don't have a Stohr chassis (I race in another sports racer class), but I have two friends who run his chassis'...and they're pretty tasty pieces.

As I stated before, the image used doesn't give a clear view of the geometry of the suspension, and how the linkage is connected.
Old 04-21-2006, 03:40 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

It looks like the original linkage ratio wasn't very good. That is, for a given amount of travel, because the shock was so laid over, there wasn't sufficient motion to get the shock to work, and the spring rate had to be really high also.

What it looks like that linkage does is essentially double the amount of motion in the shock and spring for a given amount of travel. This cuts the spring rate in half and gets sufficient motion in the shock to get it to work, and the shock rates can be half as much, so it may be easier to tune, without having as much stiction in the shock...

Maybe three wasn't anything to attach it to higher up on the chassis so that had to band-aid it to get it to work after it was all designed... If they originally designed it this way they are probably dealing from experience, but this is gonna put a lot of tensile load into the lower control arm and, given a clean sheet of paper, I would likely not have done it that way. All said, it probalby works, but it ain't elegant......
Old 04-23-2006, 04:24 AM
LS9
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've seen stacks of rocker arm suspensions but none like that.
Old 04-23-2006, 10:37 AM
007Duc
Pro

OK take this with a bit of imagination, but the geometry on that suspention looks very similar to the rear suspention on my 2000 Ducati 996. That's a motorcycle, for anyone that's not familiar. It gives you the ability to change ride height without changing spring rate. Pretty trick setup if you ask me.

Get notified of new replies

To Interesting shock setup

Quick Reply: Interesting shock setup