Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A quick Shock question

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 10:40 AM
b91857
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A quick Shock question

Hello All,

Anyone out there have any experience with the QA-1 adjustable shocks for C5's specifically Z06's?

I'm looking for a externally adjustable shock that will work for autocross and track events. I don't (can't) spend thousands of $ for the Penske's and the like type shocks. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Brian
Old 04-20-2006, 12:06 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

I would stay away from the QA1's for autocross. Although some people say they are great, but they adjust both jounce and rebound together, and that is fine for drag racing, but it isn't what you want for serious road course or autocross. You will end up way to stiff in jounce by the time you get the rebound right...

Koni 3011's are single adjustable and can be adjusted on the car and are not absurdly expensive, just expensive...

I saw that Scotty White had a set of JRZ shocks for sale, posted earlier today, you might think about that, again, not inexpensive, but a reasonable price for a set of custom shocks... If I didn't already spend a fortune on Koni's I'd be calling Scotty...

Or, the 04 Z06 shocks are a really good compromise. Not expensive at all and they are a solid performing shock that will work with the rest of the car. Not horrible on the street either. Not adjustable, but they work pretty well.
Old 04-20-2006, 01:56 PM
danswofford
Pro

I've got a set of used adjustable Penske shocks set up for autocross. $700.
Dan
Old 04-21-2006, 11:28 AM
b91857
Intermediate

Thanks for the input. I have the 04 shocks in the car now but was looking for some adjustability. I'll look into the Koni's. I've used them before in my old C4.

Brian
Old 06-02-2006, 12:37 AM
Tony Hughes
5th Gear

(Will they fit 2003 Z-06. What kind of shape are they in? Are these the type that have the small reserevoir that mounts above the shock ? Tony ( I'm inquiring about the Penske's I'm not sure where this reply will end up )

Last edited by Tony Hughes; 06-02-2006 at 12:40 AM.
Old 06-02-2006, 12:05 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Solofast
I would stay away from the QA1's for autocross. Although some people say they are great, but they adjust both jounce and rebound together, and that is fine for drag racing, but it isn't what you want for serious road course or autocross. You will end up way to stiff in jounce by the time you get the rebound right...
They have double adjustable shock now.
Old 06-06-2006, 02:43 AM
0C5stein
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

b91857,
The QA1s are a good shock for autocross and for track days. The single **** shock can be purchased as a rebound adjustable shock only, or more commonly purchased as a double adjustable (Rebound and compression at the same time) for about $930 for all four. They are easily adjustble and are easily rebuildable.

If you are looking for more, then you should know that QA1 has come out with a twin ****, double adjustable shock (one **** for compression and another **** for rebound), some of the fastest Super Stock autocrossers in this area are running them with great results.

While QA1 doesn't make the twin **** shock for the rear of the C5 or C6, we at MSI Do! Basically we use our coil over mounts, but reatin your stock spring rather than using a coil over spring. For a set of 4 shocks and mounts you are looking at the strong side of $1600 for everything you need. Plus if you decide to go to coil overs later, you only need our spring seats and some springs.

Both of these QA1(single and twin ****) shock designs have worked very well in both autox and Track days.

We usually have them in stock and MSI is a forum vendor.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:28 AM
LehmanZ06
Pro

Hey---who are these supposed "fastest SS drivers in your area running these"-----

hopefully not named "mommy, gran mommy, and great gran mommy"

Who are these fast guys---

Have they ever been to a national tour and finished anything but DFL

just curious,

As I have sold a set of Koni 2800, aluminum bodied, inverted, double adjustable shocks to jerry onks, and on my asp 04 z06, I am running the stock shocks

Get notified of new replies

To A quick Shock question

Quick Reply: A quick Shock question