Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone own a Trailblazer SS?? May be buying one for towing and commute.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 07:28 PM
Z06 Silver Bullet
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone own a Trailblazer SS?? May be buying one for towing and commute.

Well really it's because I always liked the typhoon as they used to launch great.

May be able to get a fully loaded AWD with every option for $35k.

They tow up to 6,500 lbs and haul *** normally .
Any feedback or thoughts??
Will be towing vette on aluminum trailer with it to events.
Old 04-19-2006, 08:25 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

6500 lbs is not enough.

Need to take 3/4 of the towing capsity min.for a safe tow. Also with those big 18 wheels pass you, you will be doing the wiggle dance with truck and trailer. i.e truck goes one way trailer goes the other way.

3/4 ton min. even with open trailer. Suburban or Tahoe 2500.

I know a few guys with Dorango v8s and by they wish they had something bigger.
Old 04-19-2006, 08:41 PM
Z06 Silver Bullet
Racer

Problem is I definetly don't want a pickup or a giant suv.

Figure only 8-10 weekends a year racing then all the rest of miles and driving is commute or fun.
Old 04-19-2006, 09:04 PM
TmillerC5
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I have a Durango and no problems with the tow to Road America. About 400 miles one way and a 16' w/ 2' dovetail flatbed and hardly new it was there. Now it does have a HEMI though.
Good luck with the search.
Tim
Old 04-19-2006, 09:40 PM
Procrastination Racing
Le Mans Master

Received 250 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06 Silver Bullet
Problem is I definetly don't want a pickup or a giant suv.

Figure only 8-10 weekends a year racing then all the rest of miles and driving is commute or fun.
I know that feeling. It would be great if Chevy built '63 Impalas or '68-9 Chevelles again. One of those would easily tow a Corvette on an open trailer. I towed one with my Dad's '73 Impala and '72'-73 were dogs on power. It would be great to have a decent daily family CAR that could tow the Corvette if needed on weekends.

Today, the only options to tow are Suburbans, Tahoes, and pick ups. Anything else is risky, because every liability lawyer has the companies rating their vehicles at 3500 or 5000 lbs max towing.
Old 04-19-2006, 09:44 PM
freefall
Burning Brakes

I've got no problems with my F150 towing a 20' open trailer - about 5500 pounds loaded I figure. Sure, bigger would be better, but I don't have too long of a tow and no mountains to deal with. They do look cool - I know one guy on the board - nitroc5 I think - on the southeast forum has/had one.
Old 04-19-2006, 09:46 PM
Procrastination Racing
Le Mans Master

Received 250 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
6500 lbs is not enough.

Need to take 3/4 of the towing capsity min.for a safe tow. Also with those big 18 wheels pass you, you will be doing the wiggle dance with truck and trailer. i.e truck goes one way trailer goes the other way.
The wiggle is a factor of the length from the ball to the rear axle and the wheelbase. The pride of Chevrolet towing, the Suburban, from 1973 to 1990 had a terrible ratio, with a long distance from the ball to the rear axle. Almost everyone I ever saw driven by old people RVing had the friction-type sway reduction systems installed.

I used to tow a 24 ft enclosed Wells Cargo with a short wheelbase 3/4 Chevy van. The distance from ball to axle was very little, and sway was non-existent unless loaded really wrong.

This is the real reason a fifth wheel is so stable, the distance from axle to ball (or pin) is nearly zero.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:37 PM
sambarnett
Racer

I have a 1st gen 4.7L V8 Durango that is rated to tow 7500 or so max. I tow a 2000lb steel trailer + car, tires, etc. and it works great. With an SS with MORE HP and an aluminum trailer you should be fine. I would recommend a load distributing hitch. Worst case you can do an add-a-leaf (if that has leaf springs) or air bags to aid in load leveling. Everyone tries to say you need an F350 dually to tow but you really don't. You need HP to move it and suspension to hold it up. Trailer brakes should slow it down enough.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:57 PM
Axelrod
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 48 Posts

If you find that the SS is a bit of a wiggle worm, examine your car on trailer placement. More or less tongue weight will effect your stability.

(I've found that more tongue weight = more stability, but then again, I'm towing with a short bed big block truck )

Also, there are sway system stabilizers that can be installed too as previously mentioned.

I'd say go for what you like if you're not seriously trailering consistently.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:01 AM
freefall
Burning Brakes

This is the absolute minimum you need:

http://www.outerlimitspowerboats.com/truck.html

Old 04-20-2006, 12:19 AM
AUTO_X_AL
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

The SS is a bad hauler. I had actually thought about hauling with one of those when the SS first arrived at the dealership. If you get one loaded pretty well minus the DVD based Nav system I think you come in at a hair over $39K. Nav will set you close to $42K give or take a grand. If you get the employee price obviously it is a bit better. People haul with reg and EXT trailblazers all the time and they both are a bit more underpowered or heavier than the SS. If you have a reasonable trailer and a nice load bar setup I dont see why you should have any problem with it. For the love of pete its an suv with an LS2! I was very impressed and I will check all the capacities tommorow at work but I dont see why you would any trouble. If you are anywhere near SE Michigan I have a couple on the lot now. (sorry for the shameless plug)
Old 04-20-2006, 07:11 AM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

You're talking closer to $42k for a loaded SS...

Still, for what you are hauling it will likely work just fine...

Figure that with an aluminum trailer and a Z, you are looking at 4,000 pounds, and maybe another 500 lbs for the other stuff, so maybe 4500 pounds max. That is about 75% of the rated capacity. You might want a sway control slider damper, but other than that you are good to go..

I was thinking the same thing, for the few events that I want to tow, maybe 8 or 10 times a year, I isn't really worth the day to day hassle of a big smudge pot... I know, all of the guys driving Topkicks are going to say you are crazy, not everybody is towing a 24 foot enclosed trailer with a workshop inside to a weekend solo event...

Besides, the SS has that "Extra margin of highway passing safety" that makes it enjoyable as a commuter car...
Old 04-20-2006, 07:40 PM
Ag-z06
Racer

I considered an F250 diesel, but didn't want to use it as a daily driver. Settled on an F150 5.4L V8 with towing package. Lariat, 2wd. Great daily driver, very adequate towing my 18' open trailer, 4 adults and 1 kid, all luggage for the weekend, and the bed full of tools/spares/wheels.
No complaints for about $28k - list was over $35k.
Old 04-20-2006, 08:07 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Solofast
Figure that with an aluminum trailer and a Z, you are looking at 4,000 pounds..... :
That would mean the trailer weighs ~850 #'s. Is there any trailer that light?
Old 04-20-2006, 09:00 PM
Z06 Silver Bullet
Racer

Yeah almost all of the new aluminum trailers are around that now.

I figure if it can tow 6,500lbs than 4,000 lbs should be no big deal on the open roads I would drive on to say Road Atlanta, Roebling, and VIR from Charlotte.

The sticker is near $40k but you can get them for $35k no problem.

See the big issue is I want my cake and to eat it to.
My tow rig needs to double as a fast as hell 12 second street truck also.
Old 04-20-2006, 10:59 PM
AUTO_X_AL
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Dont worry I think the capacity of an SS is around 7000 lbs give or take 500#. I also have an awesome tech who said 12 seconds in the SS is very attainable. You bring the cash and I got the truck and the mechanic! Even got one in silver! Just remember its only paper and ink if you dont spend it someone else will!
Old 09-05-2011, 07:46 PM
0RAAMaudio
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

BACK FROM THE DEAD

I drove an 08 TB SS today, 48k miles, very good condition, never towed anything, good price. It was pretty cool overall, I will two 5k at the very most with it if I get one.

If I do it will have air bags, stabilizer/sway bar on the trailer, etc...so not asking about using it to tow, just it any known reliability issues. long term issues

Fun stuff like tuning it, I have EFI Live, might help on the fun factor or fuel mileage which is not great.

My other option is a 4runner V8, costs more, super reliable, high resale so have to shop hard to get a good one for a decent price. My wife likes it better and she is a lifelong GM fan. Adequate power and not easy to add more but it is a real off road truck if I want to hit the deserts on our travels.

I like them both, the hot rod part of me likes the SS a great deal I must admit

Let me know if you have any experience, stories, someplace to search for such info, etc...

Thanks and have a great rest of the holiday

Rick

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone own a Trailblazer SS?? May be buying one for towing and commute.

Old 09-06-2011, 12:16 PM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Wicked Weasel who is always in this section has one and tows his vette all the time, Im sure he can chime in
Old 09-06-2011, 12:32 PM
Donny Brass
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 74 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019
2017 C2 of the Year Finalist

I towed a 1200pound alum trailer and 3000 Corvette with a I6 Trailblazer, without issues (except I really needed more HP)

there is no trailer brake plug under the dash, and the OEM hitch is a 2.5, not a class 3

Last edited by Donny Brass; 09-06-2011 at 12:51 PM.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:07 PM
OCCOMSRAZOR
Melting Slicks

Had one. Great power. 4.10 gears made it very quick. Only ever got about 13 MPG. Probably fine for towing a very light trailer.

Traded mine for a crew cab diesel Silverado. Still get 13 mpg. (Of course thats pulling an enclosed 24' trailer with lots of gear.)

Quick Reply: Anyone own a Trailblazer SS?? May be buying one for towing and commute.