Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Rotor Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 10:42 PM
007Duc
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Brake Rotor Question

Ok Pros. or at least those with more experience then me. I'm looking at doing something to my 02 Z06's brakes as I need to replace at least the front rotors. I need to keep my stock wheels so I know the stock rotor size is all I can run. The car is a daily driver that I want to be able to take to HPDEs and know that I will have reliable braking all around the track. I've been looking at several options. All of which include spinde ducts and Hawk HP + pads. The variance comes with the rotors. I can either buy a set of Napa rotors every year. or go with StopTech's Aero rotors, or the StopForce Porsche Hybred rotors. Initial cost is one obvious difference. Weight is also a difference and the lighter more expensive two piece rotors with allow for better thermal expansion and contraction. This much I know. My question to you guys is this. I your opinion, are the two piece rotors worth the $$$????
Old 04-18-2006, 10:53 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,394 Likes on 747 Posts

Stick with the NAPA rotors, hands down. The Stoptech hardware is very good, 2-piece rotors are way cool and get the job done, no question, but with HP+ pads I don't see you cracking rotors from the heat.

I don't know about the weight of the different rotors, but compared to tire/wheel weights it's probably a fairly small player.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 04-18-2006, 11:54 PM
Zoli007
Racer

I absolutely do not understand the napa rotor mentality....

You're willing to accept that the rotors crack as a "consumable" item?!

I would spend the extra money on the stoptechs & never have to worry about them. Unless you are racing, you will not be putting enough stress on those rotors to crack them.

I dont get how you guys with the napa rotors feel safe. What if one of them cracks while you're braking from 150mph? Wont you be glad you skimped on the rotors then?

It boggles my mind. Nevermind how bad I dont understand why GM thinks its ok to put directional rotors on the Z51 but only have one part number with one side correct & the other backwards.
Old 04-19-2006, 01:15 AM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Zoli007
I absolutely do not understand the napa rotor mentality....

I would spend the extra money on the stoptechs & never have to worry about them. Unless you are racing, you will not be putting enough stress on those rotors to crack them.

I dont get how you guys with the napa rotors feel safe. What if one of them cracks while you're braking from 150mph? Wont you be glad you skimped on the rotors then?

It boggles my mind. Nevermind how bad I dont understand why GM thinks its ok to put directional rotors on the Z51 but only have one part number with one side correct & the other backwards.
well, on a track if you have stoptechs they might last 2x as long as the napa rotors. they cost much more than 2x the price. its not like you can just slap stoptechs on and never have cracking issues. if youre talking about street use, then yes, no cracking will occur. however, you shouldnt be braking from 150mph on the street
Old 04-19-2006, 01:42 AM
mlongo99
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Rotors don't crack during breaking, they crack when they are cooling. Cracking rotors at 0mph is perfectly safe.
Old 04-19-2006, 07:14 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think Stoptech will last a lot longer than twice as long I'll let you know soon.
Old 04-19-2006, 07:28 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

The only downside of quality 2 piece rotors is if you have class rules that will kick you up a class with non-stock rotors. SCCA T1 cars must use stock rotors as well as some others, but otherwise the 2 piece are superior in every other way.
I am sure John will give us a full after action report!
Old 04-19-2006, 07:51 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

is it worth having a 2 piece rotors with the stock PBR caliper???

a good BBK all the way around YES. BBKs may not stop you any sooner but the equimpent should last longer.
Old 04-19-2006, 08:06 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

Yes. Less unsprung and rotational mass, better thermal expansion properties, less heat transfer from the rotor into the bearings (depending on whose you get), smoother engagemant with a floater setup.
Old 04-19-2006, 08:14 AM
Maineiac
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06

Originally Posted by John Shiels
I think Stoptech will last a lot longer than twice as long I'll let you know soon.

I just switched to Stoptechs, and have 3 track days scheduled within the next 2 weeks.
Old 04-19-2006, 08:26 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,394 Likes on 747 Posts

Rotors are consumable items. They may not crack (I've never had one), but they still wear out.

And, just to keep things even, most people running Stoptech systems are also running cooling air to the wheel hubs, etc. to keep the hub/rotor/caliper assemblies as cool as possible.

And, as far as GM running directional vane rotors on both sides of the C6 Z51 package, all I can say is . Dumbest thing I've ever heard. C5 rotors are correct.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 04-19-2006, 07:22 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by mlongo99
Rotors don't crack during breaking, they crack when they are cooling. Cracking rotors at 0mph is perfectly safe.
I have pulled off the track and jumped out of the car and seen a cracked rotor so it would have had to have crack in 5 seconds of cooling or less. Most do crack when cooling so lond after they cool also.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:41 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

No expert here....traking for a year now

I have the Erradispeed 2 piece. The slotted only that the Baer rep said would take track abuse........it lasted 3 track days I use Hawk Plus pads.

I would be interested if someone thinks the Stoptechs would work better than the Erradispeeds. I personally think two piece makes sense due to weight and thermal transfer differences.

I didn't notice any problem until after the last session on the drive home
when I started feeling brake pulsation........I think it cracked on the cool down.

Also my results of cracking may be a bit skewed. I have cracked 3 rotors, all on the Erradispeed (2 d/s and 1 slotted only) .... all on the Left Front wheel......so I may just have some other issue. Plus I drive in Comp mode

.....just posting my personal experience for what its worth.

DH
Old 04-20-2006, 11:27 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
No expert here....traking for a year now

I have the Erradispeed 2 piece. The slotted only that the Baer rep said would take track abuse........it lasted 3 track days I use Hawk Plus pads.

I would be interested if someone thinks the Stoptechs would work better than the Erradispeeds. I personally think two piece makes sense due to weight and thermal transfer differences.

I didn't notice any problem until after the last session on the drive home
when I started feeling brake pulsation........I think it cracked on the cool down.

Also my results of cracking may be a bit skewed. I have cracked 3 rotors, all on the Erradispeed (2 d/s and 1 slotted only) .... all on the Left Front wheel......so I may just have some other issue. Plus I drive in Comp mode

.....just posting my personal experience for what its worth.

DH
These rotor threads are always the same thing over and over again! If you have lots of money that you like to throw out the window do one of the following things:

1) give it to me
2) throw it in the trash
3) burn it
4) buy expensive rotors

See the pattern here. Hey, even if stoptechs lasted 8 times as long (which I doubt they do), it doesn't matter, they are big $$$$. And what happens if you don't cool them properly and you do crack them after 2 DE's. I would be pissed! Hey everyone wants their car to look good, and if mine were all street, I think the Eradispeeds would look really great, but you are in the world of track days and it's not about looks or thermal advantage or less rotating weight, it's about MONEY! This freaking hole of a sport will suck you worse than a crack habbit, and the last thing you need to spend money on is a set of expensive rotors. To me, buying stoptechs is like getting a $10,000 paint job on a track car to only destroy it in the first event.

Once you do this stuff for a few years, and really start breaking expensive parts, and spend money on tires, pads, fluids, you'll start getting pissed that rotors even cost $20 bucks...I sure do!
Old 04-20-2006, 12:44 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

I don't agree with the above post, and my position would seem to be supported by anecdotal evidence from Lou Gigliotti, who runs StopTechs on both street and track. I'm sure that John Shiels and Lou will both give us more empirical data to digest as the coming race season rolls on.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:53 PM
Pursuit_in_Progress
Instructor

II would spend the extra money on the stoptechs & never have to worry about them. Unless you are racing, you will not be putting enough stress on those rotors to crack them.
What forum are we in right now?
Old 04-20-2006, 02:07 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
I don't agree with the above post, and my position would seem to be supported by anecdotal evidence from Lou Gigliotti, who runs StopTechs on both street and track. I'm sure that John Shiels and Lou will both give us more empirical data to digest as the coming race season rolls on.
Even if I broke all 4 rotors every time I went to the track (which doesn't happen) at $25 each, it would take about 7 track days to break even if the stoptechs lasted a full season. I get about 2-3 days on a set of seasoned rotors, and for the most part it's usually just the fronts.

I guess if you just want something that's better quality, just because... then go for it. I just spent almost $1000 for the yearly prep, another $1000 on rubber, and $200 on pads...THIS MONTH only! If Stoptechs were priced around $300 (where they should be), I'd get em, but their not.

Get notified of new replies

To Brake Rotor Question

Old 04-20-2006, 02:48 PM
jmautox
Instructor

Somebody get NAPA to make some rotors that just 'happen' to fit the stoptechs

woot
Old 04-20-2006, 02:55 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

If you don't like the rusting of the NAPA's, I paint my hats with high temp black grill paint and from a distance, they look like 2 piece rotors. It works great and looks good on the street as well.
Old 04-20-2006, 04:26 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

It is not common but rotors do explode. I have had rotors go from minor checks to cracked from near center to outside in one session. I am not racing but I still see near 165 on the back straight at Pocono. If I can't stop I better be able to make the turn at 160. The other option is not pretty. Some one else running them on a Viper racing said the used them a long long time. It is very subjective but in a few track days I can judge how they do. Motor failure is not pretty but brake failure is X 1,000

Quick Reply: Brake Rotor Question