Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Longevity of DOTR Tires and/or scrubbed slicks

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 09:39 AM
yellow01
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Longevity of DOTR Tires and/or scrubbed slicks

Guys,

Sorry for posting this in a new thread, but I couldn't seem to codger up a real answer searching through the threads/stickies. First the question, then the reasoning.

What type of longevity should be expected from a set of DOTR tires or scrubbed slicks?

How many DE sessions, days, cycles etc. are typical?

Now the background and why I'm asking. I'm a DE'er (couple of seasons now). Would love to do more, but just not there on a couple of fronts (experience, time, $$).

I do as many as possilbe and have been burning through Kumho MXs (relativley cheap) and the weekends are getting more frequent each year as the budget expands slightly. I'm working my way up through the groups, but I've got a lot to learn still so I'm not counting tenths for lap times... Budget is still a priority over lap times

Sooo... I'm really trying to decide what's best for me. I'd love to go to track tires, but can I afford it? This is what I'm trying to answer for myself, but don't know what type of mileage to expect from a set of track only tires.

For my Kumho MXs, I've gotten three weekends out of 'em (21 sessions) and now they're retired for my street set (still have tread but are hard as rocks). So, $750/3 weekends is $250 in tires per weekend...

If you guys can share experiences on longevity of these tires, and/or discussion if you've been through a similar dilemna, I'd be appreciative.

Thanks!!!

Last edited by yellow01; 04-18-2006 at 09:41 AM.
Old 04-18-2006, 10:33 AM
gpm30236
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are multiple factors which you have to consider, first the tracks that you regularly use. Some are known to be hard on tires some less so. second your driving style. Third is alignment and tire rotation .

Also have a Z06 with Kuhmo mx as street tires, since Thanksgiving have driven it at Lil Talledega, x2 days, in the dry, Barber motorsports X1 day in the wet, RD ATLANTA x1 day with a newbyat the wheel, then Roebling road x1 day and VIR north x1 session , They are toast. also have about 8k street miles on em. 6 days 1200 cost

At the same time bought the kumho's got a new set of hoosiers. did heat cycling at lil talledega, then barber X1 day, Rd Atlanta x3 days ( 2 drivers on 1 day) TOAST . 4 days 1200 cost

Scrubs Rd ATL x2 days, heavy use. Robeling road x1+ day , toast. 3 days 300 cost. for what i'm doing scrubs are the best deal you aren't sure what you are getting but same source the tires are likely very predictable.
Old 04-18-2006, 11:22 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Yep, that's exactly right. I normally sell my knockoffs with about 3-5 heat cycles for around $75-100 each and most folks (DE guys) can get 2 good weekends out of them.

When I was just doing DEs and teaching, I just bought the used race rubber and ran them til they corded. It's a good, cheap way to get lots of fast seat time.
Old 04-18-2006, 11:27 AM
gpm30236
Racer

glad you agree Chris, we will be riding on a new set of scrubs at Sebring . Dropped em off for mounting this morning .
Old 04-18-2006, 12:10 PM
yellow01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by wtknght1
Yep, that's exactly right. I normally sell my knockoffs with about 3-5 heat cycles for around $75-100 each and most folks (DE guys) can get 2 good weekends out of them.

When I was just doing DEs and teaching, I just bought the used race rubber and ran them til they corded. It's a good, cheap way to get lots of fast seat time.
Chris,

You got anything in a 17/18 combo? I'm finding plenty of 18's around, but 17's have been a challenge. I suppose I can get new wheels... just adds cost.

If you do, I'd be willing to hedge/buy options on them

Thanks,
Jon

Last edited by yellow01; 04-18-2006 at 12:13 PM.
Old 04-18-2006, 04:07 PM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

if you're looking for wheels, look for a set of grand sport replica wheels. I picked up a used set on the forum for $500 with set of Kumho V710s mounted. then you can use takeoffs from the T1 cars
Old 04-18-2006, 04:12 PM
yellow01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Lancer033
if you're looking for wheels, look for a set of grand sport replica wheels. I picked up a used set on the forum for $500 with set of Kumho V710s mounted. then you can use takeoffs from the T1 cars
Do you happen to know if these fit over Wilwood SLR6 (or 6R) calipers (stock 13" rotors).

Thanks.
Old 04-18-2006, 05:21 PM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

I've got the LG/Wilwood kit for my car too. diameter is fine, but the offset is not even close w/o a spacer. I've got a Spacer coming this week and If I measured right, 5/8 should do it. John shiels has a set of these wheels and uses a larger spacer, but I'm not sure what size. Spacers are $42 from CCW.

Old 04-18-2006, 07:32 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I run two spacers CCW and GS OEM one is .850 and the other is .750 you could make them slightly smaller but not much. Forgot which is which. If I work on the car to go to Pocono I can measure what clearance each gives. My back has had me walking like a cross between a crab and Quasymoto or how ever you spell his name from the bell tower Hunch Back of Notredame. I bought some new Hoosier which everyome complained about wearing fast. They lasted well till my front fenders ate them. I ran them hard. Scrubs don't last long but cost a bunch less. They are very subjective on how they last. Some I have do OK and some just disappear like a ice cube in the oven. How hard will you beat them. How did your street tires hold up? Bolt up the wheel with washers and them measure them. Washers are made from scrap so the do vary in thickness measure the three piles. Wilwood site tells you proper clearance required but I forgot what they call for.

Jersey 95 has the same set up ask him I don't know if repo may vary in offset slightly?

Last edited by John Shiels; 04-18-2006 at 07:36 PM.
Old 04-19-2006, 12:37 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by yellow01
Chris,

You got anything in a 17/18 combo? I'm finding plenty of 18's around, but 17's have been a challenge. I suppose I can get new wheels... just adds cost.

If you do, I'd be willing to hedge/buy options on them

Thanks,
Jon
I run 17s all the way around....275sF and 315sR...but don't have any right now - sold them all in about 10 mins. My next race(s) aren't until the end of May (Memphis) and the the first weekend in June (Road Atlanta). I'll have some then. If you are near either of those two locations, you could pick them up at the track from me - save you some shipping.
Old 04-19-2006, 04:08 PM
yellow01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by wtknght1
I run 17s all the way around....275sF and 315sR...but don't have any right now - sold them all in about 10 mins. My next race(s) aren't until the end of May (Memphis) and the the first weekend in June (Road Atlanta). I'll have some then. If you are near either of those two locations, you could pick them up at the track from me - save you some shipping.
Thanks, unfortunately I'm in Dallas I'd happily pay some shipping, but I know that makes it more of a pain for you.

Let me know, I understand completely if you'd rather dispose of them locally.
Old 04-20-2006, 11:31 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

I have a current list of about 15 guys that I contact when I'm ready to sell used scuffs. Send me an email to: wtknght1@aol.com and I'll add you to the list. I try to distribute them fairly...so everybody gets a shot at cheap tires.
Old 04-20-2006, 08:54 PM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

I'm currently running Kumho ECSTA V700 scrubs in 18" all the way around. Currently have 5 days, about 530 miles on them and still life left. I bought them used and I'm not gentle on them. Typically pay $75/tire plus shipping.

Follow-up post.....this past weekend at Hallett I corded after the first session. Still got about 550 aggressive track miles. Wife was not happy driving 60 miles one way to the track to bring me 2 from the stack in my garage. Missed one session out of five. A nice night out of dinner and drinks made her a little happy.

Rick

Last edited by rikhek; 04-29-2006 at 01:19 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Longevity of DOTR Tires and/or scrubbed slicks

Quick Reply: Longevity of DOTR Tires and/or scrubbed slicks