Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any tips to minimize noise from VBP urethane control arm bushings?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 01:42 PM
jmautox
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any tips to minimize noise from VBP urethane control arm bushings?

I've had these on a vette in the past and they were *really* noisy. I can deal with it if I have to but if anyone has some tips on grease that will last and keep the noise away I'd love to hear em =)
Old 04-17-2006, 02:53 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Even waterproof grease will eventually work it's way out and they will make noise. I sometimes spray this Cheetah synthetic penetrating grease that the dealer gave me, but you have to "keep up" with it.
Old 04-17-2006, 03:19 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 264 Likes on 221 Posts

Try some anti sieze
Old 04-18-2006, 11:33 PM
leaftye
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Why is it noisy? The bushing has the bronze guide glued in the bushing, and this rotates over the steel bolt. The bushing should also be fixed in the control arm and not move at all. Is this correct? If it is, how can the polyurethane be causing squeeking? Could it be solely from the ends of the bushings? I'm thinking that maybe you, and others as well, have installed the bushings so they stick out to far, get stuck up on the subframe bracket, and ends up rotating within the control arm.
Old 04-19-2006, 07:36 AM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 264 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by leaftye
Why is it noisy? The bushing has the bronze guide glued in the bushing, and this rotates over the steel bolt. The bushing should also be fixed in the control arm and not move at all. Is this correct? If it is, how can the polyurethane be causing squeeking? Could it be solely from the ends of the bushings? I'm thinking that maybe you, and others as well, have installed the bushings so they stick out to far, get stuck up on the subframe bracket, and ends up rotating within the control arm.
I haven't used these on a corvette (yet) but the ones i did use the sleeve (inner) was loose and the bushing rotated on the sleeve. with the rubber bushings the rubber is fixed to inner and outer and the rubber flexes. I haven't seen any poly bushings that work that way as the poly is too stiff to flex that way. have you seen poly like that?

Get notified of new replies

To Any tips to minimize noise from VBP urethane control arm bushings?

Quick Reply: Any tips to minimize noise from VBP urethane control arm bushings?