Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do I need to know going to comp/R tires?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 09:12 AM
yellow01
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default What do I need to know going to comp/R tires?

Ok guys, with a few seasons of street tires under my belt, I'm ready to make the jump.

I've got a hitch, workign on a trailer, tracking down some scrubs etc. etc.

What else do I need to do know about the transistion?

Current setup is
- Wilwood 6slr in front, w/ cooling and H pads, stock rears
- Z06 springs/sways and Bilstein shocks (sport version but std valving)
- lowered a little
- 17" / 18" although if I can't find some 17" tires I may have to track down another set of Z06 18" so maybe 18" all around
- -1.5*/-1.0*, -8* caster, out in front, in in rear (I forget how much I don't have the sheet with me).

and a bunch of other stuff that doesn't impact ride/handling...

Will I NEED to increase camber? Will I likely need to raise the car to avoid rubbing?

Thanks for any pointers!!
Old 04-17-2006, 09:33 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,397 Likes on 749 Posts

For tracking or autocross?
Old 04-17-2006, 09:47 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You will most likely need more neg camber no matter what you are doing. The racing rubber will give you the CAPABILITY of going faster...but it's up to you to use the new capabilities.

Build up your speed slowly and adjust the pressures and such to suit your driving style and handling. The racing rubber probably won't feed back info (squeal, etc) like the street tires so you'll have to go by feel...probably more than sound. That can take some time getting used to.

Most racing rubber does better if you don't slide the crap out of the car. You can drive it that way, but they will most likely begin to get greasy if you do. Use small slip angles at first and get used to the new feel.

Before I'd do anything though, I'd get it to a pro shop to set your car up properly - cornerweighting, ride height, etc. That's really the only way to get the best out of the new rubber.
Old 04-17-2006, 09:49 AM
yellow01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr
For tracking or autocross?
Duh... should have said.

Track only, no A/X

Thanks!!
Old 04-17-2006, 09:50 AM
yellow01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by wtknght1
Build up your speed slowly and adjust the pressures and such to suit your driving style and handling. The racing rubber probably won't feed back info (squeal, etc) like the street tires so you'll have to go by feel...probably more than sound. That can take some time getting used to.

Before I'd do anything though, I'd get it to a pro shop to set your car up properly - cornerweighting, ride height, etc. That's really the only way to get the best out of the new rubber.
Thanks. Street tires I've been running make ALOT of noise at the edge, so that's a great point.

I plan on stopping by LG (10 mins from my house) for some ideas/pointers too.

Thanks!!
Old 04-17-2006, 09:58 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Keep a CLOSE eye on tire pressure after every session. They get hot fast and the pressure goes way up quickly.
Old 04-17-2006, 10:55 AM
jmautox
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

more camber will let the tires last longer, which is always nice since race tires are $$$$
Old 04-17-2006, 11:13 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by jmautox
more camber will let the tires last longer, which is always nice since race tires are $$$$
If your doing actully W2W or just DE / track days. If doing DEs the tires can last several weekends.

If W2W a new set of tires per race for maximum grip.
Old 04-17-2006, 11:24 AM
joemoia
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you ran in comp mode with street tires, turn AH/TCS off. With an aggressive track alignment and R compound tires AH becomes way too intrusive.
Old 04-17-2006, 12:04 PM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

also depends on what tires you go with. Goodyears GSCS are consistant but take a little longer to warm up. Hoosiers will fall off dramatically when they are done vs. the Goodyears which more gradually loose grip. I just did my 1st track event on Kuhmo V710's and they seem like they have a lot of grip. Also are you running 17/18 wheels 18/18, or 17/17?
Old 04-17-2006, 01:49 PM
yellow01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by joemoia
If you ran in comp mode with street tires, turn AH/TCS off. With an aggressive track alignment and R compound tires AH becomes way too intrusive.
Always run with everything off. It was getting highly annoying at some of the tracks here. On and off the bank at TWS it would kick in every time... a little unsettling coming off the bank onto the flat at 110 ish and have it wiggle because of AH.

Originally Posted by Gary2KC5
I just did my 1st track event on Kuhmo V710's and they seem like they have a lot of grip. Also are you running 17/18 wheels 18/18, or 17/17?
I currently have a spare set of stock Z06 wheels (17/18) that I had hoped to use. I'm having trouble finding 17" tires, so at this point I don't know what I'm going to end up running... open to suggestions / good combinations.

Also, how long do these typically last? I'm a DE'er, not a W2W'er so a weekend normally consists of seven 25 minute sessions. Can I expect a set of tires to last a few weekends?

Thanks again!
Old 04-17-2006, 04:36 PM
rgregory
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 74 Posts

I have run Wilwood C type in the front and Hawk HP+ in the rear the last two events and have gotten very good balance. The Cs are less aggressive than the Hs. The HP+ have a higher bite than the Cs so it helps even out the f/r balance.

You should be able to pull much more braking with the race tires make sure your brake balance is not too much to the front or you may have problems.
Old 04-17-2006, 04:43 PM
joemoia
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have Nitto R2's on Z06 size rims and I keep them on the car full time (it is not a DD). I get about 5 trackdays out of them.
Old 04-17-2006, 05:05 PM
yellow01
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by joemoia
I have Nitto R2's on Z06 size rims and I keep them on the car full time (it is not a DD). I get about 5 trackdays out of them.
Thanks for posting that. I've been running Kumho MX and got about the same (mine isn't a DD either) but wanted to try out DOTR or scrubbs. I'm hoping they last about as long...

We'll find out

Get notified of new replies

To What do I need to know going to comp/R tires?

Quick Reply: What do I need to know going to comp/R tires?