Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Back From Spring Mountian

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 08:20 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Default Back From Spring Mountian

Well I decided that if I was going to get on the track and run at fast speeds that I should have some formal training so I was off to Spring Mountian Advanced Driving School Last week.

The school does a great job of showing you the capabilities of a Stock Vette on OEM wheels. The car handled much better than I could imagine and the stock wheels held up pretty good even under extreme loads. I do have to say though that once the stock wheels got really hot they did not perform that well. The cars ended up with some understeer, but I thought it was manageable.

One of the nice things about the school is that you are beating (oops I mean learning) on someone else's car. This allowed for many of us to push the car further than we would normally would have pushed our own cars.

Most of the Level I class is devoted to learning how to heel/toe properly, look to where you want to be going and braking exercises. All of these are fundalmentals to driving faster and safer.

All and all I found the class to be well worth it. I plan to do Level II at some point, but for now I have plenty take away to bring my driving up to the next level.

Bob
Old 04-17-2006, 09:03 AM
Janet Curran
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08

Originally Posted by Wicked Weasel
Well I decided that if I was going to get on the track and run at fast speeds that I should have some formal training so I was off to Spring Mountian Advanced Driving School Last week.

The school does a great job of showing you the capabilities of a Stock Vette on OEM wheels. The car handled much better than I could imagine and the stock wheels held up pretty good even under extreme loads. I do have to say though that once the stock wheels got really hot they did not perform that well. The cars ended up with some understeer, but I thought it was manageable.

One of the nice things about the school is that you are beating (oops I mean learning) on someone else's car. This allowed for many of us to push the car further than we would normally would have pushed our own cars.

Most of the Level I class is devoted to learning how to heel/toe properly, look to where you want to be going and braking exercises. All of these are fundalmentals to driving faster and safer.

All and all I found the class to be well worth it. I plan to do Level II at some point, but for now I have plenty take away to bring my driving up to the next level.

Bob
Bob, thanks for the nice words. Glad that you enjoyed the class.

I believe that you will continue learning for many months. As you are driving you will suddenly recall the instructors words and realize that you are utilizing what you learned in your every day driving. You will have even more fun driving your Corvette and you are a safer driver.

Janet Curran
www.racespringmountain.com
1.877.VET4FUN
Old 04-17-2006, 08:54 PM
bully
Racer

Glad to hear you had fun there, I did 1&2 and had a blast. Do they have the C6 Z now? if they do, I think its time for a quick trip to vegas!
Old 04-17-2006, 09:17 PM
Janet Curran
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08

Originally Posted by bully
Glad to hear you had fun there, I did 1&2 and had a blast. Do they have the C6 Z now? if they do, I think its time for a quick trip to vegas!
It is time for you to head out to Pahrump. Spring Mountain now has SEVEN 2006 C6 Z06s.

Janet Curran
www.racespringmountain.com
1.877VET4FUN
Old 04-18-2006, 09:01 PM
bully
Racer

Any chance for additional accelerated lapping dates?
Old 04-18-2006, 11:12 PM
Joy of 6
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

HI Janet,

I am coming down there in May for the level I. I have seen videos from some classes and wondering if that is something you offer with the class or did the student bring their own equipment? If the student brings their own, what do you have in the way of camera mounts? I can possibly borrow a digital video ...

thanks,

Ed Pavone
Old 04-19-2006, 08:05 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by Joy of 6
HI Janet,

I am coming down there in May for the level I. I have seen videos from some classes and wondering if that is something you offer with the class or did the student bring their own equipment? If the student brings their own, what do you have in the way of camera mounts? I can possibly borrow a digital video ...

thanks,

Ed Pavone
I noticed at least one car with a harness bar in it that had a place for a camera mount. That is what we used to take some videos. We used our own camera.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:49 PM
0Mike69@ECS
Former Vendor

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by Wicked Weasel
I noticed at least one car with a harness bar in it that had a place for a camera mount. That is what we used to take some videos. We used our own camera.

I think that was the car you Broke bob!!!

Spring Mtn was a blast!!!!
Old 04-21-2006, 01:51 AM
TicketBait
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

where are datawiz's videos???
Old 04-21-2006, 07:42 AM
corvette-pilot
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Best money I have spent on my Vette !! This school should be required to all new Vette owners !! Maybe then we wouldn't see so many threads of people totalling their new Z06 on the way home from the dealer.
Old 04-21-2006, 08:13 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by corvette-pilot
Best money I have spent on my Vette !! This school should be required to all new Vette owners !! Maybe then we wouldn't see so many threads of people totalling their new Z06 on the way home from the dealer.

I can't see why GM doesn't offer a class on driving. When I bought my BMW they sent me to a couple of classes. They were 1 day things, but you still learned a lot...
Old 04-21-2006, 08:14 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by Mike69
I think that was the car you Broke bob!!!

Spring Mtn was a blast!!!!

someone had to do it - oh and thanks for giving it to me.....
Old 04-21-2006, 04:29 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by corvette-pilot

Get notified of new replies

To Back From Spring Mountian

Quick Reply: Back From Spring Mountian