Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seperate Track and race wheels....

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2006, 10:32 PM
Rogue Leader
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08
Default Seperate Track and race wheels....

I've never owned a car with a tire pressure monitoring system before. What iw as wondering is I planned on getting a set of wagon wheels (read: cheap) to mount Kumho V710s on for autocrossing. So I was wondering about these possibilities:

1. If I were to just mount these wheels obviously the monitoring system would not have anything to read. Would the DIC be beeping at me or anything about no signal? And if so, after running a day with these wheels and then re-mounting my old wheels will the sensors work fine or would I need to re-calibrate?

2. Lets say I get wagon wheels with sensors, if I were to mount them would I need to go through the whole calibration process, just to go through it again if I mount my stockers back on after the race day?

Thanks!
Old 04-16-2006, 10:52 PM
taaz024
Drifting

I have 3 sets of wheels. Road coursing, drag racing, adn street. I only have sensors in my street wheels. The computer will show an error without the sensors, but it will relearn your street wheels shortly after switching back. You have nothing to worry about except for having fun and storing lots of tires.
Old 04-16-2006, 11:03 PM
Rogue Leader
Racer

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by taaz024
I have 3 sets of wheels. Road coursing, drag racing, adn street. I only have sensors in my street wheels. The computer will show an error without the sensors, but it will relearn your street wheels shortly after switching back. You have nothing to worry about except for having fun and storing lots of tires.

Does the DIC make that annoying beep? one run it said low washer fluid and beeped at me, kinda screwed with my concentration....
Old 04-16-2006, 11:11 PM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by taaz024
On the C5 Just clear the errors and you won't have ap readings. If you want the TPM to work then get some sensors for the track wheels from NAPA for about $50 each. One thing about having the TPM system function on the track you will get a warning for over inflation at about 40 psi.
Old 04-16-2006, 11:27 PM
Rogue Leader
Racer

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Gary2KC5
On the C5 Just clear the errors and you won't have ap readings. If you want the TPM to work then get some sensors for the track wheels from NAPA for about $50 each. One thing about having the TPM system function on the track you will get a warning for over inflation at about 40 psi.
do I have to re-calibrate it each time I switch wheels though?
Old 04-16-2006, 11:33 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rogue Leader
Definitely on the C6, and the new sensors also seem to require the Bartec tool as nobody has been able to make the magnet trick work with the new sensors. (No idea if NAPA has the "older" sensors.) Also, consensus on the C6 is that you can't run for too long without the pressure sensors or the computer gets involved in negative ways...
Old 04-17-2006, 02:14 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,930 Likes on 5,334 Posts

Originally Posted by Rogue Leader
If you use several sets of wheels with TP sensors then on a C5 you would need to re-learn each time you switched rims if you wanted the set on the car to provide air pressure readings. This would take a couple of extra minutes each time you switched wheels. The magnet works fine on C5s.

Bill
Old 04-17-2006, 07:54 AM
C5COM67
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I also have mulitple sets of tires for track and race events. Only the streets have sensors. When you put the sensorless track wheels on the DIC will display tire pressure monitoring system error. Just reset and all is fine. No beeps. clicks alarms or parts flying off the car for the whole day or weekend. Once you put your street tires on with the sensors, the pressures will display as before after a few minutes, no recalibrate or relearn required. been doin it for 3 years no issues
Old 04-17-2006, 07:54 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Some tires work best at 42-44 psi HOT, so the TPM is a pain in the arz if it goes off.
Old 04-17-2006, 11:57 AM
StArrow68
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Another one tracking with Z06 wheels and no sensors on a C5 coupe and I switch back to stock wheels between some track days. No relearn is required. However, as to wagon wheels, I don't know width compared to Z06 which are 1" wider at both front and rear than my '02s. That extra width on track makes a huge difference in lap times compared to stock size tires. I run 275/295 f/r on track and it really helps grip compared to 245/275. Used Z06 wheels are available since many switch to after market upgrades on the C5 Z06. FWIW
Randy
Old 04-17-2006, 11:58 AM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Some tires work best at 42-44 psi HOT, so the TPM is a pain in the arz if it goes off.
that's why I don't have wheel sensors in my track wheels.

BTW: I've never had to reprogram sensors for my C5 or C6 Z06 but I did have to reprogram them on a friends C5 and it is pretty easy. You have to have a decent size magnet and a helper.
Old 04-17-2006, 12:00 PM
928nomore
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Make sure you ask someone else if you have a c-6. I went to the track two weeks ago with a sensor that was not working properly. the car would not go into competition mode and the active handling was in its most sensitive position. as a result I fried a the left brake rotor, calaper and of course new pads. I assume if you had no sensors the active handling would also be full on.
Old 04-17-2006, 06:08 PM
Rogue Leader
Racer

St. Jude Donor '08

I have a C5 so the C6 problems wouldnt be an issue. Thanks for the help!
Old 04-17-2006, 06:18 PM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 928nomore
Make sure you ask someone else if you have a c-6. I went to the track two weeks ago with a sensor that was not working properly. the car would not go into competition mode and the active handling was in its most sensitive position. as a result I fried a the left brake rotor, calaper and of course new pads. I assume if you had no sensors the active handling would also be full on.
I didn't have any issues getting into comp mode without wheels sensors in (I have a C6 Z06 though, maybe it's diff). I thought it strange that the DIC displayed a reading without them in though.

BTW: was it a front or back, and was that the only corner with a problem?

Last edited by Gary2KC5; 04-17-2006 at 06:20 PM.
Old 04-17-2006, 09:55 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I didn't have any issues getting into comp mode without wheels sensors in (I have a C6 Z06 though, maybe it's diff). I thought it strange that the DIC displayed a reading without them in though.
Were you parking next to your street wheels in the paddock between sessions? Folks are saying the last known pressures might be displayed for an hour or some number of miles, too... so if you swap on tires and drive to the track you may have more issues.

As I said in another post recently, nobody really has good consistent data about the TPS and the C6. It seems to be okay for some folks and throw the computer into fits for others. :-(

Get notified of new replies

To Seperate Track and race wheels....

Quick Reply: Seperate Track and race wheels....