Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This is getting bad...

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 07:52 PM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default This is getting bad...

With LGM LT headers, and custom exhaust, I've removed the whole driveline, start to finish in four hours (Less actually!)!!!

I'll inspect the torque tube tomorrow and find out if this issue of mine is torque tube, clutch, slave or tranny related...

If it is tranny related, Do I buy another or rebuild this one???

Fun Fun FUN!!

Mike
Old 04-15-2006, 06:45 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Geeez Mike you getting to know every nut, bolt and washer by name on that car.

I think it would depend on your use. street use and mild track, rebuild; hard track new trans.
Old 04-15-2006, 08:36 AM
Roadrace65
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Mike,
Get with me if you need to replace the drive shaft couplings. I have a couple sets of OEM Couplings coming from Germany….long story….I have Gear Head buddies in Far Away Places…….
Old 04-15-2006, 10:41 AM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

Funny you should mention that, because there WAS NO BUSHING left... Just the insert, bolts and two shaft yokes that attach to the coupler.

How soon will you get yours in?

Mike
Old 04-17-2006, 01:02 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

Iknow it's a lot of money, but I would replace the entire torque tube. If the bushings are gone, chances are that the bearings are shot and the tube has fatigued.

Rebuild your current as a spare, but buy a new one!
Old 04-17-2006, 01:28 PM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

I've actually got bearings to rebuild the unit already, and I've seen no visual signs of fatigue, but I see your point dave. Also, I didn't realize there was a size difference between earlier and later units... So no I have to figure that out as well...

Mike
Old 04-17-2006, 03:15 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

you can't SEE fatugue until it's too late. That's why they X-ray aircraft skins and components

The early cars had carbon shafts, and the later aluminum, but I think they are interchangeable in the housing.
Old 04-18-2006, 06:00 AM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

Dave, I know that you can't "see" fatigue, but typically you should have some form of stress fractures from a part when something like the bushing has failed, No? The tube looks clean as a whistle inside and the rubber ring around the aluminum shaft doesn't look like it has been worn at all.

I just bought a carbon drive shaft for this thing, along with TWO new couplers and two new bearings. I'm going to pull the clutch and pressure plate and inspect them and the pilot bearing for damage. Hopefully there will be none.

I'm hoping this will cure the torque tube woes.

Mike
Old 04-18-2006, 10:55 PM
TrueBlueCoupe
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike, I think you will end up better off with the rebuild if you do it yourself. Also, they make Die-check you can spray on your parts and black light them to see if they have cracks. I don't have Dave's experiance with these cars, but based on my background as an ME I don't think your tube is stressed. I would only have worried if the shaft came loose and started hitting the inside of the tube.

Eric
Old 04-19-2006, 05:43 AM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

Trueblue, I know the die you're talking about... I may actually have some, as I have used it before.

Because I have one end bolted to a hard aluminum bushing, it didn't have the chance to beat that one appart, but I am replacing all the bolts and the aluminum unit with two stock factory units and the carbon shaft. My concern is runout on the aluminum unit.

Mike

Get notified of new replies

To This is getting bad...

Quick Reply: This is getting bad...