Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to use Pyrometer?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 08:39 AM
shotchkiss
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default How to use Pyrometer?

I have a Longacre probe type pyrometer, but am unsure of the technique how to use it. I know what I'm supposed to be measuring, and where on the tire to take the readings, but how far into the tread do I stick the probe? Do I just stick it in far enough to get a reading, do I try to stab down to the belts, or do I just stick the probe into the tire as far as it can go? Also, will probing a tire for temp readings hurt it? Common sense tells me not to stick sharp things into my tires, but in this case, is it ok to do that? Will the little holes hurt anything? Currently running Victoracers.
Old 04-14-2006, 10:00 AM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It won't hurt a thing...just stick it in baby!! he he
Old 04-14-2006, 10:07 AM
Z11409
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by shotchkiss
I have a Longacre probe type pyrometer, but am unsure of the technique how to use it. I know what I'm supposed to be measuring, and where on the tire to take the readings, but how far into the tread do I stick the probe? Do I just stick it in far enough to get a reading, do I try to stab down to the belts, or do I just stick the probe into the tire as far as it can go? Also, will probing a tire for temp readings hurt it? Common sense tells me not to stick sharp things into my tires, but in this case, is it ok to do that? Will the little holes hurt anything? Currently running Victoracers.
Check tires ASAP after coming off track(hot pit lane),check temps across the tire tread area,each side and middle,adjust tire pressure to achieve tire temps wthin 5-10 deg.of each other.
Old 04-14-2006, 10:07 AM
LS9
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

take 3 temps for each tire , near the edges and the middle
a slight poke will do

Old 04-14-2006, 10:32 AM
MitchAlsup
Le Mans Master

Received 1,592 Likes on 784 Posts

Originally Posted by shotchkiss
You want to stick the probe tip into the outer edge of the tire, the middle of the tire, and the inner edge of the tire. The probe tip should be inserted at least 1/16 below the surface and as far as 1/8 below the surface. You are trying to measure the interior temperature of the rubber. Don't worry about pusing it all the way through, the rubber is thick and there are strong belts in the way.

Probing a tire does not hurt it any more than running over a single 1" stone.

You can use the probe tipped pyrometer to determine if you are using the proper pressure, running the proper camber, and toe--for your driving style on the roads you travel. You can also determine if the car needs to be corner weighted.
Old 04-14-2006, 03:21 PM
sdef
Racer

St. Jude Donor '10

Default .

I can not resist this-

is your car a sexually active female (or male-politically correct)?

I am sure she will not mind your hard, stiff, thrusting probes of her tires (slow thrusting is usually better). As a matter of fact she will be so pleasured that she will give you better run times!

you may also want to know if she is an exhibitionist if you plan on doing this in public.

enjoy and be aware of STD's (safe tire decisions)!

It is up to you if you want to use those five finger latex condoms. Having baby corvettes is not a problem.
Old 04-15-2006, 10:45 AM
yakisoba
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And remember: If you share a pyrometer, you are sharing it with everyone that shared it before you. Heh.
--Yak
Old 04-15-2006, 09:03 PM
96LT1
Safety Car

Stick the probe in a couple of different places first too warm the probe. You can see as much as a 10deg difference by using a cold probe.

Get notified of new replies

To How to use Pyrometer?

Quick Reply: How to use Pyrometer?