Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will a 2000 work on the track without the TPMS sensors?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 12:06 AM
bobmoore2
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Will a 2000 work on the track without the TPMS sensors?

Thinking about starting to use one set of tires & rims for track days and another set for all the street driving. I've got two sets of rims, but only one set of tire pressure monitor system sensors. Can I use the track rims without the sensors? Or will the computer try to reduce the performance somehow, because it will think a tire is flat?

I think I read some post here saying newer C5s are different than the older ones in this regard. So please be sure your answer applies to a 2000 Vette.

Any help from experts would be greatly appreciated.

Bob
Old 04-14-2006, 01:52 AM
MBDowney
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your 2000 will run fine without TPMs... I've got friends who run Z06 wheels and tires on 99's and 00's w/o TPMs on the track all the time. I believe it's the C6's that have the issues with reduced engine power when TPMs aren't present.
Old 04-14-2006, 02:37 AM
bobmoore2
Drifting

Originally Posted by MBDowney
Your 2000 will run fine without TPMs... I've got friends who run Z06 wheels and tires on 99's and 00's w/o TPMs on the track all the time. I believe it's the C6's that have the issues with reduced engine power when TPMs aren't present.

Great News! If I don't have to buy a second set of sensors, I can save a few hundred bucks.

Thanks,
Bob
Old 04-14-2006, 07:13 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Must guys just hit the reset button.

Besides TPS can get in the way. You could be having a great run, then all of a suddon DING DING DING, the dang thing goes off as your tire pressures is up to 42-44 psi.

Just rember to check your pressures before each run and let air out and back down to the cold starting pressures.

Good Luck
Old 04-14-2006, 11:30 AM
StArrow68
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Bob, that is the drill I run with my 2002 coupe, Z06 wheels, no sensors are supposed to be for the track. Only problems I have are that with some track days 2-3 weeks apart, I don't seem to get around to changing the wheels between runs. The other issue is that when you get back to the garage the system picks up the sensors from quite a distance so I never get a warning unless I get more than about 25 miles from home. It can be confusing at first, when I ran the Z06's at SM for a day and didn't get any warnings I wondered, the stock wheels were in the paddock. Finally got the warning at about the Calif. boarder on the way home since the other wheels got shipped. I go weeks on the Z06's without getting any message.
Old 04-14-2006, 11:31 AM
VT
Racer

I have a y2k and haven't been running them for the last 2 seasons... when I did, I would either get the over inflated message, OR, a complete and utter failure of the TPMS system. Just like Tom said, hit reset and be done with it.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:34 PM
BryanPendleton
Instructor

So does the rule of no issues, other than the warning and hitting the reset button, apply to all C5's? I have a 2001 C5 base that I am going to soon switch to some track only wheels with no TPMS sensors.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:31 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,397 Likes on 749 Posts

I've not known anyone with a C5 having problems running without TPMS sensors, but can't vouch for what year C5s they were running.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 04-03-2013, 12:03 AM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr
I've not known anyone with a C5 having problems running without TPMS sensors, but can't vouch for what year C5s they were running.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
You can turn it off on c5's with tuning software.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:23 AM
MNCrystalRed2011
Pro

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Must guys just hit the reset button.

Besides TPS can get in the way. You could be having a great run, then all of a suddon DING DING DING, the dang thing goes off as your tire pressures is up to 42-44 psi.

Just rember to check your pressures before each run and let air out and back down to the cold starting pressures.

Good Luck
I've been running a set of C5Z wheels, as track wheels, for a number of years and never had a problem.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:54 AM
JohnAlley
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by froggy47
You can turn it off on c5's with tuning software.
On my 2000 FRC the TPMS is tuned out. Also the car at start up turns off the TCM. If I run in the rain I have to turn it back on. Real nice if you are running late to grid you dont have to remember to turn off the nannies.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:52 AM
hklvette
Racer

Originally Posted by JohnAlley
On my 2000 FRC the TPMS is tuned out. Also the car at start up turns off the TCM. If I run in the rain I have to turn it back on. Real nice if you are running late to grid you dont have to remember to turn off the nannies.
I would very much like to know how to do this for the same reason. I know that the TechII can't remove it until 01+.

Thanks!
Old 04-04-2013, 11:01 AM
JohnAlley
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hklvette
I would very much like to know how to do this for the same reason. I know that the TechII can't remove it until 01+.

Thanks!
Car was set up that way when I got it. Car was orginally built by Doug Rippie and then went to Phoenix. One of them would be a better source of how to do the tuning.

Get notified of new replies

To Will a 2000 work on the track without the TPMS sensors?

Quick Reply: Will a 2000 work on the track without the TPMS sensors?